Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
It looks like a blowout for Slaughterhouse Five in the other club selection. Don't feel like reading that for the third time so I need not worry about fitting that in. I'll be reading Black Rain once more, and have requested the WWI book (that did not make the vote) from my library.
Yeah to all of this, more or less, see above. I'm also going to read Ask the Dust.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #47
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I haven't started yet; I'll get to it. When is the discussion?
The discussion for A Passage To India will begin around the 17th and the September nominations will begin around the 22nd.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #48
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
How many are reading? It's just that it's been so quiet and I wondered... I am reading BTW. Just started today.
I am reading. Now, getting it done...that is the challenge for me.

It may be quieter so far because it's a lottery month - no need for so many posts right now, unlike other months with all the different books being nominated and voted on and so on.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #49
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I too have started A Passage to India - and I'd love to read Black rain, but cannot find it as ebook over here, will have to go for good old paperback!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #50
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I am too taken by The Etruscan at the moment, that I want to finish to morrow. Right after that, I will start A Passage to India.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #51
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Glad to be more than 3/4s through the Rosetta edition (quite a few typos), leaving me enough time to read Slaughter House Five. Reading A Passage to India has made be appreciate more the Notes for The Master and Margarita (finally finished it last week and have started composing what I hoped to be an intelligible post but it's ending up with more questions than comments). Anna Karenina still has the same May bookmark (as WT Sharpe said in that discussion....'sometime around August.')

I've been wondering why Jon so strongly disliked A Passage to India. Like issybird, I also preferred Room with a View, but quite like A Passage to India.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I dislike [iA Passage to India[/i] because I found the characters not worth caring about. Nothing really happened that was interesting. The bit in the cave was silly. It felt like reading a cardboard cutout of a book. Like all the characters were 2 dimensional.

Nothing really happened and no real character growth. It was just stale. It went nowhere fast and stayed there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #53
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It may be quieter so far because it's a lottery month - no need for so many posts right now, unlike other months with all the different books being nominated and voted on and so on.
Could also be because it's summer and vacation time. I've noticed online forum activity tend to slow down during summer.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #54
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I do somewhat agree with you, Jon...I didn't intend my query as a criticism; it was the vehemence of your dislike that made me curious. Reserving further comments for the discussion.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I do somewhat agree with you, Jon...I didn't intend my query as a criticism; it was the vehemence of your dislike that made me curious. Reserving further comments for the discussion.
d
I know you didn't mean it as a putdown at all. I didn't mind answering. Heck, if I'm going to say I didn't like something that much, then anyone has the right to ask me why and I should say why. Which I did.

It just happens that the book is not one that holds up well enough today to be considered a classic. It's not even that well written.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #56
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'll be joining in this month, as soon as I finish "Dead of Veridon". Mostly because if Jon hates it, it's probably great...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #57
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know you didn't mean it as a putdown at all. I didn't mind answering. Heck, if I'm going to say I didn't like something that much, then anyone has the right to ask me why and I should say why. Which I did.

It just happens that the book is not one that holds up well enough today to be considered a classic. It's not even that well written.
Masolino d'Amico is an Italian literary critic. He writes
"...
Forsters studies and describes some of the fundamental traits of the man of every epoch and every country. It is for this reason that his message keeps being valuable, even for our epoch. It is to be foreseen that it will survive."

In fact they keep printing it and people keep reading it. After 80 years and some. And not only in the UK.

Jon, if you have to take as a target something, why don't you do it in a little more realistic way? Constructively like? A propos?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Masolino d'Amico is an Italian literary critic. He writes
"...
Forsters studies and describes some of the fundamental traits of the man of every epoch and every country. It is for this reason that his message keeps being valuable, even for our epoch. It is to be foreseen that it will survive."

In fact they keep printing it and people keep reading it. After 80 years and some. And not only in the UK.

Jon, if you have to take as a target something, why don't you do it in a little more realistic way? Constructively like? A propos?
But I've also read critic reviews the opposite way where the critic said something wasn't good when in fact, it was good. Look at the thread for fantasy authors you (and I) should never read. There is a lot of disagreement there. And given that this Italian critic liked something so bad means he's poor at his job.

Some things hold up well over time anbd other things just become dated.A Passage to India is one of those that's become dated.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #59
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But I've also read critic reviews the opposite way where the critic said something wasn't good when in fact, it was good. Look at the thread for fantasy authors you (and I) should never read. There is a lot of disagreement there. And given that this Italian critic liked something so bad means he's poor at his job.

Some things hold up well over time anbd other things just become dated.A Passage to India is one of those that's become dated.
Jon. Come on. The fact that the book is constantly reprinted is also ... what?
You can like and dislike and write what you want of course, but do aim to somone less off target then Forster, one of the most loved writers of his time. Loved now.

D'Amico is a well known and appreciated critic and university professor of English Literature.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Jon. Come on. The fact that the book is constantly reprinted is also ... what?
You can like and dislike and write what you want of course, but do aim to somone less off target then Forster, one of the most loved writers of his time. Loved now.

D'Amico is a well known and appreciated critic and university professor of English Literature.
Not everyone gets everything correct. And in this case, D'Amico missed the target.

The other issue is why is it that English teachers love books that will cause students to stop reading?

Tags
book club, literary, literature, member lottery, nominations