Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Stanza still works in iOS8!

For anyone who's still hanging on to Stanza (I confess I am, I use Marvin and will have to on the new phone) ... the darned thing is still working in iOS8. Still crashes if you try to access the dictionary, edit info and the downloads page from the "More" menu inside a book, or if you try to access settings from the book listing pages. All the usual book settings appear to work. At least, thats whats happening on my 4S.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
What do you mean by "will have to on the new phone"? You should be able to transfer Stanza to the new phone, if you use iTunes to backup the old one and restore to the new. Or maybe even without doing the restore but still using iTunes.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few people said that on the phone (as opposed to on an ipad of any kind) Stanza retained its 4:3 ratio (so black bars top and bottom on the 5/5S/5C, thus making the larger screen useless in Stanza) However.. I've downgraded to iOS7 from the GM on my 4S, and although I intended to get an iPhone 6, I've actually come home with a 5S after attempting to use the 6 in my normal way for reading... almost dropped it... gotta work on increasing range of movement for arthritic fingers. Anyway, it will be Marvin all round for reading from here on, I suspect.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I see. Is the 6 much bigger than the 5 then? I'm going to get a new phone in the next few months and I'm wondering which one. I read on my 4S one handed on the train, so it has to stay well in hand and allow for page turning with the thumb.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Oh, I see. Is the 6 much bigger than the 5 then? I'm going to get a new phone in the next few months and I'm wondering which one. I read on my 4S one handed on the train, so it has to stay well in hand and allow for page turning with the thumb.
I had intended to buy the 6 (the 6+ is out of the question for me) but I fumbled it in the shop when trying it out onehanded... so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour. The 6 is wider. It works, its all proportional, and I'll probably get a 6S next year (or the year after)... after I do some physio to my hand, because my thumb has limited range of movement due to a motorbike accident 30 years ago, and osteoarthritis. I may not be able to do much about it, really, but oh well, I'm doing stretching exercises in the hope.

You should go to an Apple store, or a telco store, and handle it before committing, I think
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I had intended to buy the 6 (the 6+ is out of the question for me) but I fumbled it in the shop when trying it out onehanded... so I decided that discretion was the better part of valour. The 6 is wider. It works, its all proportional, and I'll probably get a 6S next year (or the year after)... after I do some physio to my hand, because my thumb has limited range of movement due to a motorbike accident 30 years ago, and osteoarthritis. I may not be able to do much about it, really, but oh well, I'm doing stretching exercises in the hope.

You should go to an Apple store, or a telco store, and handle it before committing, I think
Thanks, I'll do that. There is an Apple Store right next to where I work, so it's easy.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You can also double tap the home button and the screen shifts downward if you have trouble reaching the top line of apps.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You can also double tap the home button and the screen shifts downward if you have trouble reaching the top line of apps.
Its more than that for me. My finger spread isnt very large so although I found it easier to hold the 6, than the 6+, because my joints are so stiff, it was also really easy to drop. Thats without trying to do much except tap the screen to turn a page for reading. never mind doing anything more complex. As I type, I'm not even sure about the 5S anymore. But, I'll keep it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Here's a pic comparing the size of the 4s, 5s, and 6:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone-6-vs-iPhone-5s-vs-iPhone-4s.jpg
Views:	4559
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	129164  
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Here's a pic comparing the size of the 4s, 5s, and 6:
Thanks. If I hold my 4S to the screen, it's almost exactly the size of the 4S photo! That gives me a pretty fair idea of the size of the 6.