Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #61
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
And while we are talking about Brooklyn, who else thinks the new 3M catalog and software are ridiculous?
There are only four books in the entire history section.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
And only one in some other sections
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #63
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
And the number of titles, while always pitiful, has actually gone down.

And 3M's software and/or server is so slow that if the libraries purchased a substantial number of titles, I think it would be unusable.

And here's what we were promised in June:

According to Penguin vice president of online sales and marketing Tim McCall, Penguin’s entire catalog, which is more than 15,000 books, will be made available to the libraries’ patrons through the deal.

McCall told The Wall Street Journal that libraries will most likely pay around what regular customers would for the e-books.

If that was true, the 3M system would be a bargain for libraries compared to Overdrive, redesigned or otherwise.

Maybe 3M needs to stick to its core business of coatings.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #64
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, right now, libraries pay so much more for ebooks than regular customers that they would probably take advantage of it. I kind of hope they won't, because you can't read 3M titles on eink readers, AFAIK. You need a tablet and have to read in the app. I'd rather libraries spend the budget they have on Overdrive, even though there are a few Penguin titles I'd like to read, which I refuse to buy because I hate Penguin... But that's a whole diffent story.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #65
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Maybe 3M needs to stick to its core business of coatings.
I thought the name was coincidence!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #66
glendalekid
Connoisseur
glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505
You can read the 3M books on e-ink. They work just fine on my Sony 505. You can download the books to your PC via ADE.

3M doesn't seem to send a notification when a book on hold becomes available - i.e., via an e-mail. I had to keep checking until it showed up as available.
glendalekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #67
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalekid View Post
You can read the 3M books on e-ink. They work just fine on my Sony 505. You can download the books to your PC via ADE.

3M doesn't seem to send a notification when a book on hold becomes available - i.e., via an e-mail. I had to keep checking until it showed up as available.
I did not know that, because it only lets me check out a book, but does not offer any download or send to kindle link. Of course, the other problem is that they are disregarding all the Kindle users out there by only offering ePub.
I hate Penguin.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #68
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I did not know that, because it only lets me check out a book, but does not offer any download or send to kindle link. Of course, the other problem is that they are disregarding all the Kindle users out there by only offering ePub.
I hate Penguin.
I'm finding the reverse at Brooklyn today - with Overdrive though. When I go to download an Adobe ePub book they only give me the choice of Kindle. I've written to them about it . Really frustrating as 2 books I particularly wanted have become available but I can't download them.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #69
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It looks like the rollout is continuing. The Orange County (Florida) library system is now using the new design.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #70
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
I'm finding the reverse at Brooklyn today - with Overdrive though. When I go to download an Adobe ePub book they only give me the choice of Kindle. I've written to them about it . Really frustrating as 2 books I particularly wanted have become available but I can't download them.
They are doing some work on the site. I see a few broken image links and what in the world is "Overdrive Read"? I got this as an option next to ePub and Kindle for the book I just downloaded.

Are you sure you did not select "Kindle ebook" instead of "ePub" when you placed a hold/if you placed a hold? I know some titles are only available in ePub, but I have never seen it the other way round. Hope this is going to get resolved for you!!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #71
glendalekid
Connoisseur
glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glendalekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the "new and improved" Overdrive design, it has become more complicated to check out books.

First you click on "borrow". This gives you a pop-up that tells you the book is now on your bookshelf. Close that. Click on the "go to bookshelf" link.

The book you just checked out will be in the upper left-hand corner. Next to the cover photo there maybe a green link - it will say Kindle or Read. Under that is a drop-down, click on that. This is where you can choose epub, PDF, etc. If there is no Kindle or Read option, there will just be the drop-down. Choose epub, open epub, etc., then they will ask you to confirm. After confirming your choice, a "download" button will appear.
Download as you usually do.

What nincompoop designed this? Sheeesh!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #72
xendula
eBookworm

Oh wow, I just browsed the Fantasy/SciFi category and ordered by added to site, the latest ones are only available in ePub. I want to cry!!!!!!!! Why oh why isn't there an ePub eink reader that can download library content directly without having to connect to a computer?!? So mad
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #73
glendalekid
Connoisseur

Overdrive Read appears to be a way to read the book on a browser. Would this be for tablets or phones?

Whatever it is for, it is not a necessary part of the "new" design. It was available at the Orange Co. FL site before the change.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #74
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalekid View Post
What nincompoop designed this? Sheeesh!!!
The same nincompoop that designed Windows 8?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #75
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Oh wow, I just browsed the Fantasy/SciFi category and ordered by added to site, the latest ones are only available in ePub. I want to cry!!!!!!!! Why oh why isn't there an ePub eink reader that can download library content directly without having to connect to a computer?!? So mad
Sony PRS-T1 or T2 can download epubs directly from the library if you have a wifi connection.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote