Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #46
MoJo22
MoJo22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Thanks anemicoak for the link. I will have a look at their selection.
I have emailed an application to Philadelphia library (it appears they are still accepting applications) and hope like mikaelalind that they wont decide to withdraw its membership to non residents like singapore library have just done. I dont have access to any library ebooks in my local area so it is my only option now.
MoJo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #47
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I wouldn't be comfortable generating a national ID number for the Singapore Library either so I guess I'll just be thankful that I was able to borrow a few books from there and just do without now. Thankfully, at least for now, I've been finding free books on Amazon that will do for taking the place of my library books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Have a look at Newcastle City Library, they allow you to borrow 2 books at a time (5 if you live in the North East).
Thanks Paul, however they have perhaps changed the terms and conditions because although it states anyone can join, there is no mention of any differences between the amount of books you can borrow, but it does state:

"Due to licensing agreements only customers who live in the North East of England can access our ebooks service".

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #48
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can you pay to Philadelphia Free Library with PayPal? Or credit card?
No, you have to print the application, mail it with a check and wait for it to clear. Takes a couple of weeks.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #49
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
No, you have to print the application, mail it with a check and wait for it to clear. Takes a couple of weeks.
Bummer, checks aren't available any longer in Sweden. Would cash in an envelope be inappropriate?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #50
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I would not put cash in an envelope and mail it. Perhaps you could call them and see if they'll take your application over the phone with a credit card. Or cheaper, email them. I've emailed them a few times and they are very prompt about answering emails. (Not on weekends though.)
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
send the form away and they will contact you via email with a logon code and you can pay via credit card then
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #52
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I' ve paid twice at Free Library with card. I sent an email telling my case (foreigned) and I scanned my signed form and sent it by email and later I pay my fee as a fine with card.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #53
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Very stupid noob question, but this was my first experience borrowing via Overdrive. I registered to the Singapore library and managed to check out two books before the loophole closed. The 21 days have now passed and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do something manually to "return" them...because I obviously can't now. :-( But I don't want a nasty surprise sometime in the future however unlikely.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #54
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
Very stupid noob question, but this was my first experience borrowing via Overdrive. I registered to the Singapore library and managed to check out two books before the loophole closed. The 21 days have now passed and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do something manually to "return" them...because I obviously can't now. :-( But I don't want a nasty surprise sometime in the future however unlikely.
There is nothing you need to do. That is the magic of Overdrive. There are never any late fees. Once a book expires, that's it. The only reason to return, is if you finish early and you want to free up space to check out more books. This works the same with all Overdrive-based libraries, not just Singapore. Alas, the Singapore library will be deeply missed. It hurts even just to think about, as I have used them from the U.S. for years.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #55
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfeuln View Post
Nope, you should be fine. Books can be returned early or allowed to expire in which case you need do nothing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #56
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
this is really a shame about the singapore library. there seemed to be very little demand for their books despite the worldwide availability.

does anyone know for sure what the legalities are re the NRIC number? i know that before the new format they asked for a passport number but many folks did not use their real passport number.

i guess even if illegal it is probably unlikely that the singapore FBI is going to travel to des moines or wherever to get an fake NRIC user, but i'm still curious about the exact status of the potential legality.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #57
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
this is really a shame about the singapore library. there seemed to be very little demand for their books despite the worldwide availability.

does anyone know for sure what the legalities are re the NRIC number? i know that before the new format they asked for a passport number but many folks did not use their real passport number.

i guess even if illegal it is probably unlikely that the singapore FBI is going to travel to des moines or wherever to get an fake NRIC user, but i'm still curious about the exact status of the potential legality.
I'm no attorney, but my best guess is that falsifying a Singaporean NRIC number would probably be a felony under Singaporean law. Remember, it's a country that mandates the death penalty for minor drug infractions. They don't screw around over there.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #58
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I can still login have not changed my id or something so am not sure why you guys can't login although someone living in Singapore I am glad you guys cant login

Joking aside I logged in with my username and password like always had no problems login in.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #59
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I can still login have not changed my id or something so am not sure why you guys can't login although someone living in Singapore I am glad you guys cant login

Joking aside I logged in with my username and password like always had no problems login in.
I think the question is we didn't use username/password but id/username.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #60
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I'm really being tortured at the moment.

Over the past week I have received 3 emails telling me that books I had on hold are now available and waiting... I can't even log in to cancel the holds. I know I will just have to keep receiving these emails until the last one expires.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote