Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Could the iPhone serve as a whiz-bang e-reader?
Yes 43 26.88%
No 117 73.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
(waiting at the Dr's office, or lined up at the polls on election day - which is how I read a big chunk of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and learned to despise Rosetta's lack of OCR proofreading).
I cringe every time I see Rosetta's name on an eBook. They overall do one of the worst pBook to eBook conversions. Just not nice overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #47
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Like many of its other applications, Whiz-bang, no, mediocre, yes.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #48
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
the killer app for iPhone would be if Amazon developed an app for the iPhone that would remotely sync your place in the book so when you picked up the kindle it would continue where you left off from the iPhone or vice versa. iPhone is great for covert reading at work or in line somewhere. The books app on iphone you just tap near the bottom or top of page to turn and its instaneous

Works great for reading bible passages.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #49
JackieFrost
Banned
JackieFrost began at the beginning.

Device: Plain old Laptop!
Nonsense. Size unsuited for reading, lcd unsuited for reading.
JackieFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #50
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
LOL I hadn't thought of it in years, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that last post was how I'd read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina back in high school in the smallest book (I think) in the school library. The book itself was - maybe - 4" x 5", and the text block smaller than that, and (iirc) around three inches thick. In other words, not much bigger than a PDA screen. It did not, however, glow by itself.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #51
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
LOL I hadn't thought of it in years, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that last post was how I'd read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina back in high school in the smallest book (I think) in the school library. The book itself was - maybe - 4" x 5", and the text block smaller than that, and (iirc) around three inches thick. In other words, not much bigger than a PDA screen. It did not, however, glow by itself.
That would be a collectors item I would imagine. Anna Karenina 4x5x3
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #52
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I am quite happy with my iPod Touch (same interface as iPhone) as a secondary reader. Especially for short time spans, on the go, or in low light conditions, like reading in bed. It's possible to adjust the brightness, so it doesn't glare, and the screen is excellent, with crisp text. I use the ruBooks.app which is fine for my use - a lot of what I read is in HTML format anyway.

The screen is too small though, for long-time sit-down reading sessions, but overall nice, and definitely gives a much nicer reading experience than my old Dell Axim51 PDA, which is a rather 'bleh' in comparison.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #53
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dejected View Post
Using my ipod as an e-reader actually inspired me to get a seperate device (the sony reader) to use exclusively for reading. I liked the ipod fine, but I realized that it wasn't a great option if I was going to be reading alot of stuff on it.
I think that's actually a pretty likely scenario for a lot of people. If people are introduced to reading books on PDAs, they'll likely find that the device doesn't fulfill their needs as well as they'd hoped. With the Kindle as popular as it is, I think a lot of iPhone users are going to jump on any app that claims to add that kind of functionality to their new device, and then when they've tried it and found it good but not great, they'll move to a real ebook. I know that's what I did when I moved from reading books on my PDA to reading books on my Sony Reader.

If Amazon is smart, they'll actually create an app to sell books on the iPhone to lure people in to their system, which would of course result in more hardware sales.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #54
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, they already can . The vast majority of mobile phones have a version of MobiPocket reader available for them. If the paperback book industry is dead as a result, it's a very healthy corpse .
The Thing is that most people more often then not don't realise that their device can actually do that. 80% of people I've run into with smart phones or PDA's don't bother or don't know about any other programs then what comes preinstalled.

Especially those with Smartphones. More often then not they got the phone for a specific function or got it from work, and hove not done anything else with it.

What is needed IMHO is a sustained educational campaign about such capabilities, and a easy way to add new programs etc. to the devices. In that way Apples approach looks to be dead simple and easy to do.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While the iPod Touch/iPhone aren't going to be wiz-band reading devices, there are enough of them out there that they could make an impact given decent software. Decent software has yet to appear. Sure we have eReader. But it was released before it was finished. Not being able to use content I have on my computer is the biggest downfall. I'm hoping that when Mobipocket is released that this major bug/flaw/screw-up is not present.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #56
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
While the iPod Touch/iPhone aren't going to be wiz-band reading devices, there are enough of them out there that they could make an impact given decent software. Decent software has yet to appear. Sure we have eReader. But it was released before it was finished. Not being able to use content I have on my computer is the biggest downfall. I'm hoping that when Mobipocket is released that this major bug/flaw/screw-up is not present.
Well, in this case, this is Apple's fault. It would be very easy for a developer to let you read your own content, except on the iPhone/iPod Touch where Apple limited the access to the file system.

That's why all these applications need some sort of server, or download books through an API.

And you can't even register a MIME handler with Safari, that would make downloads through the built-in browser possible.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Then how is eReader going to allow you to get your own content from your computer onto your device? They said in a few weeks they would have it doing that.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Then how is eReader going to allow you to get your own content from your computer onto your device? They said in a few weeks they would have it doing that.
Through a dedicated application running as a server (like Bookshelf, Stanza) or through their service, where you'll have to upload the file.

I remember that at Adobe, they were really annoyed when Apple announced these limitations (a comment on Teleread).
Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And will these dedicated apps be free? Would they be something we can 100% turn off when not needed so they don't take up any of the computer's resources other then disk space?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #60
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
And will these dedicated apps be free? Would they be something we can 100% turn off when not needed so they don't take up any of the computer's resources other then disk space?
Price: no idea.
Turned off, I hope so.

Anyway, it's plain silly that you NEED such an app, when you could simply use the USB connection.

I certainly hope too that the eReader DRM format won't be popular again thanks to the iPhone: it's already quite a mess with all these formats and DRM, it would only make things worse.

Tags
iphone, kindle