Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Woah! @_@ What is that?

I noticed that mounting image from /mnt/us leads to hangs on heavy IO usage, like aptitude does, so I'm using /mnt/base-us instead, without that additional proxy layer and it seems to be working well here. However, i've never seen anything like that
yep. also that takes fuse fsp out of the equation which causes hangs. I believe.

very wise.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #47
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Woah! @_@ What is that?

I noticed that mounting image from /mnt/us leads to hangs on heavy IO usage, like aptitude does, so I'm using /mnt/base-us instead, without that additional proxy layer and it seems to be working well here. However, i've never seen anything like that
Quote:
/dev/loop/debian 1.2G 1.4G 16.0E 122% /mnt/debian
heh. oops

EDIT:

And now AFTER I do a much tidier job of the initial startup:

Quote:
/dev/loop/debian 1.2G 375.1M 820.8M 31% /mnt/debian
Beware apt-get recommends!

With the games, the browser, and assorted goodies that you could call an "install" I got it down to:

Quote:
/dev/loop/debian 1.2G 412.7M 783.2M 35% /mnt/debian
Which is not too shabby, assuming that you were happy with just those things and the logs could be sensibly cleared away automagically a 500 MB games install would be realistic - if not "roomy".

Also pushing all downloads to the FAT user-store might be one slightly less suicidal option than overfilling the loop.

: ) Fun!

Last edited by twobob; 11-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #48
twobob

I'm playing with trying:
rsync -uvS --ipv4 --ignore-times --progress /multistrap-debian-sid/rsync/debian.ext3 root@kt:/mnt/us/debian.ext3

from the PC to restore back to a known good configuration. See how that goes

Did I mention while it was mounted ? hehehe

EDIT: Okay. Rsync works great. even when the target is mounted. (I even faffed around with it to be extra naughty). The only thing is it must either be cleanly unmounted / remounted or the system restarted otherwise df -h still reports the old free space amount.

Other than that works perfectly

me@dev ~ $ rsync -uvL --inplace --ipv4 --ignore-times --progress \
/multistrap-debian-sid/rsync/debian.ext3 root@kt:/mnt/us/debian.ext3

Quote:
debian.ext3
1342177280 100% 1.14MB/s 0:18:47 (xfer#1, to-check=0/1)

sent 98909805 bytes received 256511 bytes 76724.42 bytes/sec
total size is 1342177280 speedup is 13.53
Happy days

Last edited by twobob; 11-30-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: results , --inplace
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #49
twobob

Debian Games (port thought)

so... after having a look through the majority of the browsers on offer (and finding the non-runners) I figured since you highlighted games I would spend a few (long hours) grabbing down some games.

Since this is a highly tedious and long process I will make quick notes about my tests to save duplicated effort. Way I figure it if it runs fairly decently in the harness it would only run better natively : )

Also it's a nice way to get a handle on footprints since this is rarely documented.

The absence of python-games makes a few sets of games currently inaccessible. however I think I have a python-games build for the 3 / 5 so that is not insurmountable. there may be a route already out there for support that I just don't know about.

Games That Didn't Work with no effort

Airstrike. Ran once with impressive graphics but hangs far too much. good to see QT really shining.

Armegetron Advanced (I would like to test the old one too...)

atris (this almost works, need to hack the colors in the source is all now)

biloba

Games That Just Work with no effort

attal: (Option "fast server" will hang client - otherwise pretty solid)

ace-of-penguins: cards - a variety. under test. "H" to see help. Esc or Q to quit. Double click to auto place... fun

Taipei also works great from the ace-of-penguins range (would suit a rotated screen)

KsirK - Risk Clone - works surprisingly well (can do 2 player AI)

TBC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_028.png
Views:	400
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	95650   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_027.png
Views:	403
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	95651   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_029.png
Views:	361
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	95652   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_030.png
Views:	388
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	95653   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_032.png
Views:	368
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	95654   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_036.png
Views:	417
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	95656   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_037.png
Views:	379
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	95657   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_038.png
Views:	342
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	95658   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_034.png
Views:	371
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	95659   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_035.png
Views:	358
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	95660   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_039.png
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	95661   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_040.png
Views:	371
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	95662   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_042.png
Views:	377
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	95664   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_043.png
Views:	398
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	95665   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_044.png
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	95666   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_045.png
Views:	365
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	95667   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_046.png
Views:	353
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	95668   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_047.png
Views:	364
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	95669  

Last edited by twobob; 11-07-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
twobob

KsirK

Really enjoyed this one - bit fiddly but fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_048.png
Views:	362
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	95679   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_049.png
Views:	364
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	95680   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_050.png
Views:	363
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	95681   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_051.png
Views:	369
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	95682   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_052.png
Views:	375
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	95683   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_053.png
Views:	366
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	95684   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_054.png
Views:	386
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	95685   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_055.png
Views:	341
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	95686   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_056.png
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	95687   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_057.png
Views:	353
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	95688   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_058.png
Views:	349
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	95689   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_059.png
Views:	393
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	95690   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:1_061.png
Views:	354
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	95691  
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #51
twobob

Debian on the 3. with X. Most keys and five-way support.

Kindle: Start server
Xvfb -fp /mnt/us/sh/fonts/X11/100dpi/ -noreset -nolisten tcp -screen 0 600x800x8

Kindle: Launch debian... (use amended version of DOS's script)

Kindle: attach vnc
x11vnc -forever -shared -noxdamage -noncache

Kindle: Update display
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 127.0.0.1:0 &

PC: xtightvncviewer kindle (or whatever you use) to get extra pointer and symbols until that gets sorted.

This is now tested as working on a k3.
Via Xvfb. With keys and 5 way working surprisingly OOTB.

Not sure how I will manage the color issues at this point - probably hack the Xresources or something. The games don't want to run unamended.
background color issues though. so maybe not major.

nor does the pointer "highlighting" work (you cant see where it is right now) - but the 5 way does does navigate around menus and pages now

I might think about checking the cursors, see if I can bodge something for visual location output.

But that lot aside:

So this should work as is on the 4 - obviously a usb kb and mouse would make this shine. HTH. I don't think I will test it any further right now

"Proof of Life" anyways

definately going to need HID on a 4NT though
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_003.png
Views:	525
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	95839   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_004.png
Views:	459
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95840   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_005.png
Views:	431
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	95841   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_006.png
Views:	435
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	95842  

Last edited by twobob; 11-20-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: xtightvncviewer
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Wow, this is amazing! I didn't expect it to be usable at all on any non-touch Kindle. Nice job!

I hope I'll get 5.3.0 jailbroken soon, so I'll be able to continue playing with Debian...
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #53
twobob

Quote:
Wow, this is amazing! I didn't expect it to be usable at all on any non-touch Kindle. Nice job!

I hope I'll get 5.3.0 jailbroken soon, so I'll be able to continue playing with Debian...
Get a serial Cable. be part of the solution

I am always happy to build on the work of others. Really pleased to get this going on the 3. and super pleased about the keys and 5 way support working OOTB (almost)

Digging deeper on the games fail:

Quote:
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".

(cube:30300): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(cube:30300): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

** (cube:30300): ERROR **: couldn't allocate background (#dcdad5)
so perhaps I can fix that. RSN. Glad you are happy. Get a serial cable
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #54
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Get a serial Cable. be part of the solution

I am always happy to build on the work of others. Really pleased to get this going on the 3. and super pleased about the keys and 5 way support working OOTB (almost)

Digging deeper on the games fail:

so perhaps I can fix that. RSN. Glad you are happy. Get a serial cable
Try to play with Xephyr parameters. AFAIR I have enabled greyscale mode in my scripts, but looks like some part of color handling is still configured in a wrong way on your 3.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #55
twobob

Quote:
Try to play with Xephyr parameters. AFAIR I have enabled greyscale mode in my scripts, but looks like some part of color handling is still configured in a wrong way on your 3.
That is excellent advice. but i am not running Xephyr. I was running this on Xvfb right now until I manage to get a (native) Xephyr build for the 3.

I will try piggybacking Xephyr now. That was all injected directly into Xvfb.

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Brilliant - all games working now. : )

Quote:
[2] + Done mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 127.0.0.1:0 2> /dev/null &

[3] + Done(3) x11vnc -forever -shared -nopw -noxdamage -noncache &

[1] + Done Xvfb -noreset -screen 0 600x800x8 -bs -wr +extension RANDR +extension XTEST +extension XINERAMA +extension MIT-SHM -fc cursor &
On the 3! YEAH!

Last edited by twobob; 11-09-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: native
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #56
dos1
20% cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
That is excellent advice. but i am not running Xephyr. I was running this on Xvfb right now until I manage to get a (native) Xephyr build for the 3.

I will try piggybacking Xephyr now. That was all injected directly into Xvfb.

Thanks for the tip!
Look at my scripts. I used Xephyr from inside Debian on native X server (does 3 run X server? It may be still good idea to use Xephyr wrapper over Xvfb, in case when Xvfb has problems with colorsets). This way I don't need native builds at all, just Debian prepackages ones.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Look at my scripts. I used Xephyr from inside Debian on native X server (does 3 run X server? It may be still good idea to use Xephyr wrapper over Xvfb, in case when Xvfb has problems with colorsets). This way I don't need native builds at all, just Debian prepackages ones.
The K3 runs X11 if you let twobob get too close to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #58
twobob

Quote:
Hi mate. I have read them inside out

That is exactly what I am now doing

much obliged, just working on getting a cursor to show for the 5 way : D

It's still a bit ugly but I could easily tidy it all up. obviously a few niggles to fix.

EDIT: Ive added some screenshots that have been monochromed and then average/median/lightness balanced to give you an idea of real output.

Some is a bit dark. as you can see the default color scheme has gone a bit wacky for some reason? - I'll fix that Also I have to manually start /usr/bin/matchbox-desktop for some reason... but yeah. it's a worker

Number input works (via ALT + Q W E R T etc)

5 way works less well in single column mode.

I've left in what currently comes out the vnc screen as some of the screenies at the end. HUGLY!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_007.png
Views:	348
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	95844   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_008.png
Views:	339
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	95845   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_009.png
Views:	359
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	95846   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_010.png
Views:	339
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	95847   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_011.png
Views:	370
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	95848   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_012.png
Views:	338
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	95849   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_013.png
Views:	352
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	95850   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_014.png
Views:	365
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	95851   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_015.png
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	95852   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_016.png
Views:	341
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	95853   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_017.png
Views:	361
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	95854   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_018.png
Views:	356
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	95855   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_019.png
Views:	360
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	95856   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_020.png
Views:	362
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	95857  

Last edited by twobob; 11-09-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Hugly!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #59
twobob

Ah!

DEBIAN:
Quote:
root@kindle:/dev# chmod 664 /dev/null
root@kindle:/dev# ls -al null
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 1, 3 Nov 8 00:43 null
or matchbox-session is sad

Better now. time to fix the colors

EDIT:

hmm better. but not much... working on it.

Looks nice on the screen now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_022.png
Views:	374
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	95860   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_023-SCREEN.png
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	95861   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_024.png
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	95862  

Last edited by twobob; 11-10-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Close:
Code:
core2quad ~ $ ls -al /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2012-11-07 09:51 /dev/null
Everybody and anybody may write to /dev/null.

Which would be: chmod 666 /dev/null
Code:
core2quad ~ $ stat /dev/null
  File: `/dev/null'
  Size: 0             Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   character special file
Device: 5h/5d    Inode: 5356        Links: 1     Device type: 1,3
Access: (0666/crw-rw-rw-)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2012-11-07 09:51:46.363778109 -0600
Modify: 2012-11-07 09:51:46.363778109 -0600
Change: 2012-11-07 09:51:46.363778109 -0600
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debian, kindle, paperwhite