Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I need a dog toy

I need some toy recommendations for my dog. He's a Yorkie and his favorite toy is apparently the throw pillows on my couch. Unfortunately -- stuffing, stuffing, everywhere.

I bought him a toy that looked like a big bone pillow. I don't know what I was thinking. Thirty minutes later and once again I had stuffing all over my floor. He's lucky he's cute.

So here is the kind of toy for which I'm looking. I'd like something roughly the size of a throw pillow, but it needs to be tuff. However, I'm not looking for one of those no stuffing things, and I'd like to find something without squeakers. Why do all the dog toys have those stupid squeakers?

So, any recommendations?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Another Yorkie?

Sorry, my last dog wasn't interested in much but tennis balls. So I'm not a good source. And I have...gasp...a cat now.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
these are pretty cool
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
My Boston Terrier's favorite toy is a tennis ball that was buried n the back yard for several months. I just gave up on clean pet store toys.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
You might try this: http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-PP01056-...1300318&sr=8-1

Basically your dog pulls stuffed squirrels out of a tree stump - and chews on them. It's cheap - and replacement squirrels are available. Several of my co-workers have them & report success. My (large) kitten adores hers (I have to spice it up with catnip). You can add dog treats to spike interest.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I buy stuffed dog toys for my Mini Aussie at the dollar store. He loves the squeakers in them and I have just resigned myself to the fact that I am going to be cleaning up the "stuffing" five minutes after he has been given the toy.

I haven't tried (or heard of) any of the other toys suggested here so cannot give an opinion...although I might have to try the Skinneeez Big Bite Water Bottle. My dog does love to chew on water bottles but is only allowed to do so while supervised.

Sorry that wasn't much help.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Thanks for the recommendations.

I think I'll try the squirrels in the tree stump first. He has a tennis ball and loves it, but he likes to take it up on the couch and drop it on the hardwood floors -- which annoys my downstairs neighbors. I also don't think I could listen to him chewing on a water bottle for too long. So, we'll try the squirrels first. I may try getting an outdoor pillow too, and see if it holds up.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I bought a Jolly Ball for my dog. It's an outdoor toy for him. It does not squeak and is very tough.

I tried to insert a link but I couldn't get it to work.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

I think I'll try the squirrels in the tree stump first. He has a tennis ball and loves it, but he likes to take it up on the couch and drop it on the hardwood floors -- which annoys my downstairs neighbors. I also don't think I could listen to him chewing on a water bottle for too long. So, we'll try the squirrels first. I may try getting an outdoor pillow too, and see if it holds up.
the water bottle noise isn't that bad as it is muffled by the toy
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
My dog shreds everything (including tennis balls) except he can't tear up most Kong toys.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Extreme-D...sr=1-1-catcorr

You can stuff this one with canned dog food and every dog I've seen with one sits right down with it and won't do anything else until he gets the last bit out.

The Extreme Goodie Bones have a squeaker in them but they're indestructible after he gets the covers torn off. Kong's Wubbas are disposable toys due to having cloth covers that he eventually tears up. They float though so I think they're primarily an outdoor toy.

Hope this helps.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Over here you can buy a plastic ball with different shaped holes in it that you can unscrew and put dog treats inside. They play with it for ages trying to get at the treats which it deposits when gravity, treat and hole all decide to cooperate.
It's a good toy for when you aren't home and want the dog to be occupied with things other than chair legs, pillows, electric leads and Venetian blind.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I usually only buy latex or rubber toys for our dogs and avoid toys with squeakers. I do occasionally buy a stuffed toy made for babies. Our dogs don't seem to destroy stuffed toys as quickly if they don't have a squeaker. One noisy toy we do have is a latex rubber chicken that must be replaced about once a year. Their favorite is a glow in the dark rubber ball.

A word of advice, if you don't want them chewing up pillows or cushions, don't give them something similar to chew on, it just reinforces the bad behavior. If they are chewing on stuff while you are gone, it's probably separation anxiety and you should crate them while you are out.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
My dog shreds everything (including tennis balls) except he can't tear up most Kong toys.

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Extreme-D...sr=1-1-catcorr

You can stuff this one with canned dog food and every dog I've seen with one sits right down with it and won't do anything else until he gets the last bit out.

The Extreme Goodie Bones have a squeaker in them but they're indestructible after he gets the covers torn off. Kong's Wubbas are disposable toys due to having cloth covers that he eventually tears up. They float though so I think they're primarily an outdoor toy.

Hope this helps.
These Kong Extreme toys are brilliant. The only thing to last more than an hour with my Danish Swedish Farmdog cross - he's had on for three weeks and it's still relatively unmarked.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Over here you can buy a plastic ball with different shaped holes in it that you can unscrew and put dog treats inside. They play with it for ages trying to get at the treats which it deposits when gravity, treat and hole all decide to cooperate.
It's a good toy for when you aren't home and want the dog to be occupied with things other than chair legs, pillows, electric leads and Venetian blind.
I use these for my cats too! Especially when there's been some "disagreements" amongst them - nothing brings them together like "cooperating" to get the treats out of the ball!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I use these for my cats too! Especially when there's been some "disagreements" amongst them - nothing brings them together like "cooperating" to get the treats out of the ball!
But, but, THEN what happens? Don't they fight over the treat?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote