Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #121
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos View Post
Assuming he's talking about the new firmware for the original Kobo, I'd also like to know this.
He was, as was I.
Moot point for me now really; I bought a PRS-650.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #122
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Manga caveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos View Post
It would be pretty neat if we could start getting manga released on the Kobo store.
I tried this at home. Manga on the Kobo doesn't look like the promotional photo

As has been noted here many times, there's a big chunk of display real estate at the bottom for the title and page number.

The actual displayed image is precisely 5" diagonally. So much for having a 6" display. Thus, the displayed image is only 2/3 the area that it would be if it filled up the screen.

Oh, this also makes all the printing really tiny.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #123
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
He was, as was I.
Moot point for me now really; I bought a PRS-650.
Nice device from what I've seen. The Kobo desktop application supports synching with Sony eReaders (as well as others).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #124
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Lovin' the new Kobo WiFi...except

a) So far, about 1 in 4 times it's not properly bookmarking where I leave
off and when I restart I'm taken to where I was 2 sessions ago.

b) I have always turned the Kobo off by holding the button down for 3 seconds on my previous Kobo, and now the new WiFi one...but yesterday just tapped the button to put it asleep instead, and it was still sleeping 3 hours later. No real damage done, but it could be more of an issue if I wasn't going to use the Kobo for a few days...no? Is this a problem with the current software or just a isolated glitch?

ZombWii
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #125
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is a feature that was much requested after this behaviour was changed in 1.4. A tap send the device to sleep--a 3 second press on the power button turns it off. Once asleep it stays asleep--no more turning itself off after 15 minutes.

Kobo reported that after extended testing, the sleep option was not causing as much of a battery drain as they had thought it was so they essentially returned to the pre 1.4 behaviour (with the option this time to show covers (or not) for both sleep and off).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #126
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo reported that after extended testing, the sleep option was not causing as much of a battery drain as they had thought it was so they essentially returned to the pre 1.4 behaviour (with the option this time to show covers (or not) for both sleep and off).
Does the e-ink display actually burn in - Is that why I wouldn't want the cover to be displayed?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #127
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

Quote:
Does the e-ink display actually burn in - Is that why I wouldn't want the cover to be displayed?
I have not noticed any burn in but I suppose if there was a burn in issue the better choice would be to display covers (which change as different books get read) as opposed to using a default message on the screen which is always the same.

I like the covers displayed and am looking forward getting that feature back on my original kobo... I'll risk screen burn in because I'm assuming that with the 6 month release schedule of new kobos coming onto the market, by next Christmas my original reader will be a legacy device and I'll be itching to upgrade to the Kobo version 4.

Last edited by ninicraftone; 10-28-2010 at 12:31 PM.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #128
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
There is no burn in with eInk. The reason to not display the covers is more of a privacy issue. If you're reading a book like Triple Heat and don't want people to know
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #129
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I show covers for sleep, but not for off--just so I can easily tell the difference when I glance at it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #130
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It is a feature that was much requested after this behaviour was changed in 1.4. A tap send the device to sleep--a 3 second press on the power button turns it off. Once asleep it stays asleep--no more turning itself off after 15 minutes.

Thanks, that explains it. I haven't used anything pre-1.4 and was used to the behavior under that firmware.

It still doesn't explain the poor bookmarking though.
Any thoughts or input JC?
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #131
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Nice device from what I've seen
'tis! It isn't in the Kobo market for competition though, due to its price. You're still winning the price war as far as i can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The Kobo desktop application supports synching with Sony eReaders (as well as others).
Good info! I didn't know it was cross-device compatible!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote