Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Iriver Story owners!

I'm considering getting this reader, I really like the look of it and the stuff it does.

Is there anyone who hasn't had any problems with it?

I've been stung before by buying a gadget online and then having problems sorting it out, so I'm considering buying it from a store then at least I have somewhere to take it if it breaks.

Thanks in advance!
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Traye, I am the happy owner if an iRiver Story as well as a Irex DS1000. The Irex is mostly for work-stuff and is filled with .pdfs
But, the Story is for my personal use and is filled with ePubs, MP3s and so on. The Story is a marvelous piece of high-tech and I can really recommend it to anyone!
Buy it and you will never regret it!
Olle
OlleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Yes Im very happy with my Iriver story I prefer it to the sony its faster .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
If you're planning to spend this much on iRiver Story, why not check out many others before you buy? Iriver has a relatively small user base. If there is a problem, it's tougher to get help.

Just 2 instances, 1) my thread on DOC format problem in this forum: nobody has responded to it yet; this is the problem when there are relatively fewer people owning this product; 2) the firmware update file posted at iRiver has been posted and reposted with a wrong file name, which would not be recognised by Story. Sets me thinking if the company is taking this product seriously.

Try not to buy it simply because it 'looks' great. I bought it based on this reason, but I've since found that several issues would only surface after days/weeks after you owned it.

Personally I'd suggest purchasing a product with a large user base. Companies who are making good profits from their reader products will tend to be more serious about updating their products. And you can quickly get help here, should you need it.

I'm not knocking iRiver, but I'm moving on.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Thanks for your replies!

I'd prefer to buy from an actual store and not online. WH Smiths sell the Iriver, online, but I'm going to see if I can take it back to the store if ever there's a problem with it.

How long have you guys had your Iriver for?
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Close to 6 satisfied months!
OlleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #7
Skyflyer
Skyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enoughSkyflyer will become famous soon enough

Device: iriver Story
I bought my iriver Story December and I have no issues at all. I don't use the unit to view Word files (*.DOC), I only read EPUB files. If you are having problems with Word files it is easy to convert them to EPUB by using Calibre software.
Skyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
I bought my iriver Story December and I have no issues at all. I don't use the unit to view Word files (*.DOC), I only read EPUB files. If you are having problems with Word files it is easy to convert them to EPUB by using Calibre software.
I agree with this statement.
I have my iriver Story since january and the firmware updates have always increased the functionality for me. I don't use doc-files.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
Thanks for your replies!

I'd prefer to buy from an actual store and not online. WH Smiths sell the Iriver, online, but I'm going to see if I can take it back to the store if ever there's a problem with it.

How long have you guys had your Iriver for?
I bought my first Iriver and returned it to WH SMITH IN SELFRIDGES WITHOUT A PROBLEM. I had some problems with it .The replacement works very well and have had no problems with it . Better than the Sony .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
I don't use the unit to view Word files (*.DOC), I only read EPUB files. If you are having problems with Word files it is easy to convert them to EPUB by using Calibre software.
I understand that I could convert doc to rtf with MS Word, and then have it converted to epub with Calibre. Thing is, I can't read epub files with any font other than the default. User fonts will only be available for .doc and .txt files.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote