Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
How much empty space I should leave on SD card for 505?

As title? Does anyone know?
I assume the cache.xml will grows.
Thanks.
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do not use an SD card, it will suck your battery dry. Not only that, many books on a card will slow down the Reader a LOT. The built-in memory is good for several hundred books, that should be enough.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
SD cards will not suck your battery dry nor will it slow down your reader. The cache.xml file does grow but you could fill a 4 gig and leave about 4 megs free, that should be enough. Leave 10 to be sure.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
gbatch
gbatch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have never notided the battery drain that people talk about, it does seem to slow it a bit when first formating the books on the SD but not really an issue.
gbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I never had a problem with my battery life using a SD card and it really doesn't take that long to load with a lot of books .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathermole View Post
I never had a problem with my battery life using a SD card and it really doesn't take that long to load with a lot of books .
I have noticed the same. Takes an extra few second, perhaps, now, but not enough of a difference to be a problem.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
i found no drain.
the only thing is, that the reader needs a lot more time to "come alive" if you have a lot of books on the card.
i have a pro duo 1gb and a sd 1 gb card with over 900 books and it takes aproximate 3 minitutes if i have to reset/start it up

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
The built-in memory is good for several hundred books, that should be enough.
Ditto.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote