Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Lance Armstrong - Readers want their money back

Two Californians have filed a class-action lawsuit against the cyclist and his publishers Penguin and Random House - on behalf of themselves and other residents of California who bought the books - demanding refunds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21250032

I say good luck to them,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: changed 'there' to 'their' - Moderator
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
The books should now be classified as fiction.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't see that these claims have any validity. When one buys an autobiography, there's never any guarantee that what the book says is actually true, is there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If this case succeeds (and it seems highly likely that it will), publishers will be very cautious about publishing any autobiography or memoir without cast-iron evidence that every word is accurate. The implications are interesting.

The whole thing is ridiculous. I'm not condoning Armstrong's behaviour, but I am amazed at the lengths some people will go to to make a point.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The books should now be classified as fiction.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...n-section.html

Last edited by Yolina; 02-04-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
If this case succeeds (and it seems highly likely that it will), publishers will be very cautious about publishing any autobiography or memoir without cast-iron evidence that every word is accurate. The implications are interesting.
So publishers could be sued for not classifying, say, the Bible, as "Fiction", do you think, unless there's proof that every word is accurate?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If i buy an autobiography i expect it to be factual to the best of their recollection. If people dont want to talk about things leave it out of the book.

Outright lies deserve everything they get.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
If i buy an autobiography i expect it to be factual to the best of their recollection. If people dont want to talk about things leave it out of the book.

Outright lies deserve everything they get.
Of course that's what you would want, but the question that arises is whether you have any legal right to absolute truth. It's not (as far as I know) a crime to lie in an autobiography. I imagine that many autobiographies have been "embellished".
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So publishers could be sued for not classifying, say, the Bible, as "Fiction", do you think, unless there's proof that every word is accurate?
I'm not saying publishers should or could be sued for that, only that they (or their lawyers) might think they can be sued, and so will opt for caution.

As I said, the case is ridiculous. I personally think it would be stupid if it succeeds. But it does seem likely that it will, judging by the precedents quoted in the BBC article ( such as the James Frey case).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
alanHd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course that's what you would want, but the question that arises is whether you have any legal right to absolute truth. It's not (as far as I know) a crime to lie in an autobiography. I imagine that many autobiographies have been "embellished".
I dont think it comes down to expecting absolute truth, how many people wouldn't have purchased the book if he had been truthful? (I think a lot more would have purchased it if he had truthful, but that would have been there choice)

For me his book goes way beyond embellishment. Its like the story i read about war correspondents pretending they were there when they were back home getting bits and pieces from the web.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh, I agree with you entirely. And I suspect that the publishers will cave in to this for the sake of good PR, regardless of what the legal situation is.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
To my mind, this lawsuit only shows that these two persons have not the slightest idea how doping works/is used. It's not done to be able to win the Tour de France by laying on the couch and regularly taking one's dosis. It's quite the contrary: a great part of the doping program enables the rider to train more, longer, to recover better from higher extends.

I've never been a fan of Lance Armstrong - there was a Jan Ullrich! -, I've read these two books with the "knowledge" of him doping and I've found them nevertheless highly interesting and inspiring how to fight and pursue one's goals. He has nevertheless a remarkable story to tell and I'm glad I've read them.

He has cheated, no question, but imho not the readers.

Last edited by Billi; 02-04-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
alanHd
Addict

I was shocked when i read The Secret Race - Tyler Hamilton.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
In which way? I am asking because I haven't read it yet.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
alanHd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
In which way? I am asking because I haven't read it yet.
That the fact doping was so widespread and the extent that i went on. Might be me being naive to think it wasnt so bad.

The book for me was really interesting, Tyler told it like it was, pulling no punches and not trying to lay the blame of on anyone. for that i respect the guy.