Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well if it won't work without the USB cable I would charge the battery and go from there. Chances are the battery could be getting close to flat because it essentially was running for the last couple of days after the failed firmware update.

With the sd card I would boot up the reader without it plugged in and once booted I would then plug it in and see if it will pick it up
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
I think my battery spoilt.. I removed it by plying it out.. didn't think that damage it.. but.. now.. it wouldn't work on battery... And when I shut down, I can't turn it on using the power button. And I can't update firmware using the power + page turn (right) button. Sigh..

Thanks for all the help Solicitous, I need to sleep now =X Will leave it to charge overnight and see how it goes. Hopefully it will work well! Will report back ^^
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just plug the shutdown reader into the ac charger and it will start up
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaNaru View Post
Hi thank. I just tried the reset + page turn and it does the same thing, it restarts back to the startup page..

I have tried the battery removal and it didnt work as well..

Is it impossible to shut it down?
Just because there is data on the screen it does not mean that the unit has not shut down. Removing the power will stop the reader cold. It may be that it is really off and will not power up. The screen does not need power to have the same fixed image on it.

Be sure the battery is charged or plug it into a charger for a while and then see if there is any change in the unit screen or does the light blink.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

Hiya, I managed to fix my battery (took it out again and tweek it about) and now it works. But the thing is, the initial hanging problem is still there.. I think my ebook reader is pretty much gone =X
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hiya, I managed to fix my battery (took it out again and tweek it about) and now it works. But the thing is, the initial hanging problem is still there.. I think my ebook reader is pretty much gone =X
With the battery fixed and the unit plugged into the charger try and reload the firmware. I suspect you got a corrupt load. It is worth a shot anyway before you give up.

Dale
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #22
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
With the battery fixed and the unit plugged into the charger try and reload the firmware. I suspect you got a corrupt load. It is worth a shot anyway before you give up.

Dale
I agree with this. Reading your previous post you had trouble with your PP not reading your SD card. I would delete and copy back on a fresh firmware image and try the update again.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Charge it for 12 to 14 hours with the wall charger.
Low battery/power does strange things.
Computer USB ports may not have enough power to charge (especially, USB Hubs).

Astak does have spare batteries for sale (If you can get the 'Person' who handles the EZReader. I called about 09:30, I am in the same County, and got 'call later'. They have no clue on customer support. That is 12:30 on the East Coast and no support person?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

The reading SD card thing is fine actually. But now, I can't reupdate my firmware by pressing the right page button and power button... So I pressed the lower button and power as suggested by Solicitous various posts above...

And as before I have Invalid Block Number 12 and it went though all the stages properly and rebooted nicely. But I can't do the reupdate when I tried again. And so I repeated the 'lower button + power button' procedure and it showed the same problem...

And the wierdest thing now is.. I can't turn on the reader using the power button. I hav to press the 'lower button + power button' (albeit only a quick press not a prolonged hold) to turn it on.

Its all screwed.. Sigh..
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

It would seem you need to reformat the memory. Back everything up and then hook to computer. You can then run a diskcheck to see if you can mark the block bad or reformat the entire memory. This may restore your device.

Dale
Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #26
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

hi im a noob at computer stuff.. So when you say format are you saying to format the reader? or the sd card? Or both? My Ebook reader was reflected on my mac osx disk utility as a Linux file-stor gadget media.

Erase - format. What should I format it to? MS-Dos (fat) ?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #27
Solicitous
Wizard

The internal memory should be formatted to FAT16. I don't believe Mac will format through the GUI tools to a FAT16 (only FAT32).

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7108 has a good post on how to format a drive as FAT16. Alternatively if you could find a Windows 7 machine and format it that way.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #28
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur

The SD card has to be in Fat16 too?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #29
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
The SD card has to be in Fat16 too?
Well for firmware updates they say no larger than 2GB so I would assume it would need to be FAT16, however once up and running the SD card can be either FAT16 or FAT32 to be read by the Pocket Pro.