Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Meet Copia - a new ebook reading platform

I can sum up the news in five words: social media meets ebook reader.
I have an antipathy to twitter and the like, so I really have trouble seeing the value in this. And then there is the fact that this appears to add a whole new ebook format without adding to the reading experience. So if you want to use the abilities of Copia, you'll have to buy the ebook again.

Quote:
Any eReader can carry your books, but with social functionality built in, eReaders powered by the Copia platform carry much more (some as many as 1500 books in addition to your conversations, notes and friends) even your friends' notes.

It's a platform, so in addition to the ebook readers there will be software you can run on your computer. That's good, because there will likely be a serious problem with the hardware. Three of the 4 models shown have a capacitive touchscreen on top of the epaper screen. Sony released 2 ebook readers like this, and the sharpness of the text on the screen was negatively affected on both devices. Until I know how Copia fixed the screen problem, I'm going to put this device firmly into the "wait-and-see" column.

On a related note, the parent company will be an exhibitor at CES in Booth 9817. A several day old press release hints that Copia will be on display.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
soooo, Nate...is your brain ready to explode yet? hehehehe...I know I sure appreciate how much effort you have put into this!! just wanted to work in a thanks.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Oh goodie! Just what we need: another new ebook reading platform and possibly another new ebook format.

Whoopie.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
soooo, Nate...is your brain ready to explode yet? hehehehe...I know I sure appreciate how much effort you have put into this!! just wanted to work in a thanks.
Ditto.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
interesting concept. I am seeing that copia is an aggregation service for content you want then when you have time to connect your device it will sync what is on the device with whatever you have added or has been updated in your copia account. Is this your take or did I miss something?

I could see how it might be useful to a lot of people given the sheer volume of data to be had online. My question would be, how does Copia make money? I see they have a bookstore but what if someone only uses free content? Are they selling your usage data? Still a very interesting idea. I sure see that our existing 3G networks are going to start seeing a LOT more use as these sort of readers grow in popularity since 3G access is far less complicated and restrictive (access wise) for the average user than via wifi where you can find it.

Pretty cool idea the more I think about it...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
interesting concept. I am seeing that copia is an aggregation service for content you want then when you have time to connect your device it will sync what is on the device with whatever you have added or has been updated in your copia account. Is this your take or did I miss something?

I could see how it might be useful to a lot of people given the sheer volume of data to be had online. My question would be, how does Copia make money? I see they have a bookstore but what if someone only uses free content? Are they selling your usage data? Still a very interesting idea. I sure see that our existing 3G networks are going to start seeing a LOT more use as these sort of readers grow in popularity since 3G access is far less complicated and restrictive (access wise) for the average user than via wifi where you can find it.

Pretty cool idea the more I think about it...
I'm hoping that this won't entail the introduction of yet another ebook format into the marker, but upon a closer look, they may be on to something with the social networking angle. Time will tell.

Perhaps a plus will be their use of ePaper technology. Does this mean eInk is in for some competition, or am I misreading this? Competition could be in the best interest of the end user.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I do like their offering of e-readers. They seem to have done their homework. You want 3G? You get 3G, or else you get the one without. Ditto with digitiser input vs keyboard ...
Let's wait and see whether they can actually deliver, what are the specs and whether I need to sell the other kidney to pay for it.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #8
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can sum up the news in five words: social media meets ebook reader.
I have an antipathy to twitter and the like, so I really have trouble seeing the value in this. And then there is the fact that this appears to add a whole new ebook format without adding to the reading experience. So if you want to use the abilities of Copia, you'll have to buy the ebook again.

It's a platform, so in addition to the ebook readers there will be software you can run on your computer. That's good, because there will likely be a serious problem with the hardware. Three of the 4 models shown have a capacitive touchscreen on top of the epaper screen. Sony released 2 ebook readers like this, and the sharpness of the text on the screen was negatively affected on both devices. Until I know how Copia fixed the screen problem, I'm going to put this device firmly into the "wait-and-see" column.

On a related note, the parent company will be an exhibitor at CES in Booth 9817. A several day old press release hints that Copia will be on display.
Actually, Sony has not released a single reader with capacitive screens. They use resistive screens which is why they are so terrible. Capacitive screens do not require any material between you and your screen and thus do not cause glare or blurring. They don't work with gloved fingers but I find this to be a small sacrifice. The iPhone is an example of a device with a capacitive touch screen.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
The devices actually seem quite nice, and the price will apparently be between $199-299. I haven't been able to find whether they will be able to read formats other than their own; does anyone know?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote