Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Any new Alternate history authors just over the Horizon?

I'm not talking about established authors, but maybe some new authors we've not heard of yet. OK, maybe established authors who don't normally write alternative history.

I'm tired of stories of "what if Germany had won WW2" type stories, or stories about the American Civil War; yes, yes, as wars go, they are important milestones in world history and shaped the world's future, without question. But what about the OTHER major historical milestones?

What about other, less significant events, might a different outcome have had significant implications throughout the generations?

I love Alternate History, but I can see the genre dying out from a lack of willingness to consider ALL of history! All cultures!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I think I've mentioned this before, but Stephen Baxter wrote "Voyage," an alternate history where the Apollo program doesn't get canceled, and we end up going for Mars in the 1980's. If I remember some others, I'll post them.

I also love alternate history, but how many variations of Germany wins WWII, or the South wins the Civil War can there be?
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
I think I've mentioned this before, but Stephen Baxter wrote "Voyage," an alternate history where the Apollo program doesn't get canceled, and we end up going for Mars in the 1980's. If I remember some others, I'll post them.

I also love alternate history, but how many variations of Germany wins WWII, or the South wins the Civil War can there be?
Harry Harrison wrote a three book series about the Civil War. The British decide to help the South and inadvertently attack a Southern City causing many atrocities. Sherman marches to help the South and both sides reunite to fight the British.
Stars and Stripes Forever
Stars and Stripes in Peril
Stars and Stripes Triumphant.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Harry Harrison wrote a three book series about the Civil War. The British decide to help the South and inadvertently attack a Southern City causing many atrocities. Sherman marches to help the South and both sides reunite to fight the British.
Stars and Stripes Forever
Stars and Stripes in Peril
Stars and Stripes Triumphant.
Apache
Yes, I read it, pretty good actually. But We really don't need any more!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Harry Harrison wrote a three book series about the Civil War.
He also wrote an alternate history trilogy (West of Eden, Winter in Eden, Return to Eden) in which the dinosaurs didn't go extinct. It wasn't to my taste, so I didn't get very far before giving up on it.

Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century series, beginning with Boneshaker, is an alternate history steampunk series with zombies (much better than it sounds). Boneshaker explores an alternate Seattle circa 1880.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
my favorite alternate history novel (if you can find it) is The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad. its the science fiction novel Hitler would have written had he come to the states to be a sci fi author after WW1.

"An alternate world novel in which Hitler leaves Germany after World War I, the Nazis never take power, Hitler emigrates to the United States, where he becomes an SF writer and writes LORD OF THE SWASTIKA, the novel within the novel, his fantasy of Nazi Germany in a world where the real thing never was. With an academic afterward explaining why such a thing as Nazi Germany could never have happen except in an heroic fantasy novel."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
EDIT: posted in the wrong thread. Feel free to ignore.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-12-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
EDIT: posted in the wrong thread. Feel free to ignore.
God help me! I CAN'T ignore! ARGHHHHH!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
God help me! I CAN'T ignore! ARGHHHHH!
Sorry, I'll see if I can't make it easier for you, then.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Personally I would like to see an alternate history novel where the British and Prussians loose the Seven Years war to the Russian-French-Austrian alliance. Even know exactly where the point of departure would be... Empress Elizabeth of Russia survives say 6 months longer than she does in our timeline. This forces Prussia out of the war. The British are forced to make peace and though they retain their colonies, the French do as well.

With the French remaining a threat on the frontier, the American Colonies do not revolt. Without the American Revolution, well now history has gone beyond the easy ability to predict. It seems likely there is at least one more Anglo-French war before the end of the 18th century. But what effect it will have is anybody's guess .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
How about the Time Patrol series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I love Alternate History, but I can see the genre dying out from a lack of willingness to consider ALL of history! All cultures!
Have you already read Poul Anderson's Delenda Est and the other Time Patrol short stories and novelettes?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Are there any alternate histories that focus on Japan? I'm really interested in the Sengoku period myself.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I think I've posted this link here before, but in a different AH thread.

http://www.uchronia.net/

It's a good site for finding AH. I tried a quick search on Japan, but mostly came up with WWII stuff.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Personally I would like to see an alternate history novel where the British and Prussians loose the Seven Years war to the Russian-French-Austrian alliance. Even know exactly where the point of departure would be... Empress Elizabeth of Russia survives say 6 months longer than she does in our timeline. This forces Prussia out of the war. The British are forced to make peace and though they retain their colonies, the French do as well.

With the French remaining a threat on the frontier, the American Colonies do not revolt. Without the American Revolution, well now history has gone beyond the easy ability to predict. It seems likely there is at least one more Anglo-French war before the end of the 18th century. But what effect it will have is anybody's guess .

--
Bill

OOOH! that sounds good! why don't you give it a go?