Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
sn2002bt
sn2002bt began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
Unhappy How to flash Aluratek Libre to Chinese firmware

I just bought a Aluratek Libre from Fry's and realize that it doesn't support Chinese txt files.

Libre firmware information:
Software v0.16h
Patch: v16

Basically Libre is the same hardware as Jetbook (even my XP recognize it as Jetbook) but with different firmware. The hardware is coming from a Chinese firm http://www.jcnip.com/soft_class.asp?ClassID=170

I have tried almost every M218A and M218B firmware I can find from this site and from a download link someone post here. None of them worked. If using M218A, it will complain and asks to use M218B, but none of M218B firmware worked.

I saw this post in the forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54172

It sounds like some people from this forum has successfully flash their Jetbook or Libre to chinese firmware, however the problem is that guys in this thread talk in a way in which they assume everybody else is as technically proficient as they are but no detailed steps were given. It leave people lost in what they need to do.

Can someone please help me to flash my Libre to any Chinese firmware so that I can read Chinese txt files? I am suspecting that the failure is due to some kind of protection from Aluratek to prevent your flashing to other brand firmware. Some people here mentioned something like creating certain empty file or edit the firmware code (how?) Can someone write a more detailed how to post? Many thanks in advance.

sn2002bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
sn2002bt

Or maybe the Aluratek version is "too high"??

I vaguely remember I saw somewhere in the forum people mentioned something like "if the firmware is low, you may be able to flash it".

I just don't know how low is low and how high is high.

Please help.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I have Software v0.17d Patch v17 on my Libre and tried to flash it with the M218A++25firmware.rar firmware. I got the "This is not the correct firmware. Please use the M218B firmware" screen. I have not had any success with the M218B firmware yet but will keep trying.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The Libre firmware (and possibly newer ECTACO firmware) does some vendor-specific file checks and won't let you flash to alternate firmware(s) without a hack.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
sn2002bt

Kralik,

I am pulling my hairs to get my Libre pro to Chinese firmware. I spent so much time Googling and reading the posts and trying flashing. I haven't found anything working.
Would you please share us on how to hack it in detailed steps? Many thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
sn2002bt

I have uploaded the chinese firmware and official Libre firmware to these links

http://drop.io/49objkb
http://drop.io/lqaeebw

Can someone with know-how be kind enough to look into these two firmware files to see what kind of check mechanism Aluratek is using to prevent Libre to be flushed to another firmware?

If someone can do that, can you please hack it and then upload the hacked chinese firmware to http:drop.io link?

Many thanks for your efforts.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
sn2002bt

http://www.bitsum.com/firmware_mod_kit.htm

"Firmware Modification Kit
Giving YOU the power to customize your firmware
documentation version 0.60 beta
all scripts, untrx, wrt_vx_imgtool, and docs (c) 2008 Jeremy Collake <jeremy.collake@gmail.com> http://www.bitsum.com
other portions (c) their respective holders"
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
sn2002bt

I have spent enough time searching online and begging for help with this device in this forum. That is it! I am done with it.

I have dumped jetbook/libre and bought a Kindle 3 at $139 with wifi and 6" screen. I couldn't be happier with it ever since. It supports Chinese natively and works even better with Dokan system which is completely free and supports Kindle wonderfully and seamlessly (Google Kindle Dokan). It took me more than a week to get my Kindle even I ordered two days shipping because the product was so hot that it was sold out again and again. Amazon can hardly come up with the demand. Comparing with Kindle on features, looking, design, chinese support, easy of use, Libre can only eat dusts.

It was such a waste of time, money and effort on libre and Jetbook. I so regret it. I wish I tried Kindle earlier.

If you come to this page for Jetbook or Libre through google search. Gave yourself a break, get a Kindle 3! You will see how wonderful it is.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
So you bricked your Libre trying to switch it to a different software, then bought a kindle, and you have the nerve to come here and tell everyone that the Jetbook/Libre is a waste of your time.

ROFLMAO

FYI I'll take that Bricked libre off your hands for 10$ for parts.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2002bt View Post
I have spent enough time searching online and begging for help with this device in this forum. That is it! I am done with it.

I have dumped jetbook/libre and bought a Kindle 3 at $139 with wifi and 6" screen. I couldn't be happier with it ever since. It supports Chinese natively and works even better with Dokan system which is completely free and supports Kindle wonderfully and seamlessly (Google Kindle Dokan). It took me more than a week to get my Kindle even I ordered two days shipping because the product was so hot that it was sold out again and again. Amazon can hardly come up with the demand. Comparing with Kindle on features, looking, design, chinese support, easy of use, Libre can only eat dusts.

It was such a waste of time, money and effort on libre and Jetbook. I so regret it. I wish I tried Kindle earlier.

If you come to this page for Jetbook or Libre through google search. Gave yourself a break, get a Kindle 3! You will see how wonderful it is.
Anyone reading the series of postings that has led this poster to the
conclusion he is presenting should consider the following:

The version of the Libre he purchased is not sold with firmware that supports
Chinese. He knew that when he made the purchase, but he thought, and
made the purchase on the erroneous assumption that HE could do what
others had done and get a modified version of firmware created for a different
device to work on his Libre. HE does not have the required understanding of
the technologies involved to accomplish the modification.

Ectaco does sell the reading device that he was trying to convert his Libre
into, by attempting to install that device's firmware on his Libre.

His dissatisfaction should be directed at his own lack of common sense not
at a number of related devices that many of us find an exceptional value and
that more than meet our expectations. He might also take this opportunity
to learn: Not to "bite off more than he can chew". Not many devices offer
the versatility that these devices provide, while remaining true to their simple
dedicated function.

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves".

Luck;
Ken

P.S. Here is the link to the Ectaco Chinese device:
http://www.ectaco.com/M218B/
Also, note the trade in offer the poster could have used to get the proper device.
( You might compare the features of the device to the Kindle while you are at it.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
for2000
for2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook pro 603
OpenOffice.org can fix it, no need to flash to Chinese firmware

Just copy Chinese article to OpenOffice.org, then export to Pdf. or others, it's working. good luck.
for2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
mizi
mizi began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook lite
Or convert to epub format and embed a chinese font. Works for me on jetbook lite
mizi is offline   Reply With Quote