Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
embries
embries began at the beginning.

"M" is here!

I guess I should introduce myself since I've just started randomly posting in topics.

Real name is Don (that's all you're getting you internet hooligans)

I work full time as the "MIS" for a local law firm. I'm also a full time MBA student with the large-sized state university nearby.

Being that I work with technology all day, I rather like reading my content on a mobile device. It plays to my strong suits, plus I look rather silly surrounded by computers, yet reading an "actual" book, magazine, newspaper, etc.

Interests include (probably in order, since I'm recalling them off the top of my head):
Music
Film
Books/Periodicals
Hockey
The consumption of adult beverages with like-minded (or not-so-like-minded) friends.
and the list goes on, but I don't know you folks well enough at this point to divulge my eccentricities

Honestly, I'm here because I've now spent over 10 straight hours trying to devise a way to get the WSJ on my PocketPC (HP iPaq 2790b). And to be completely honest, you may not see much of me if I figure it out (this could be incentive to help me out, or incentive to withold information if you care for my 'style').

I've really enjoyed browsing about the forum up to this point, so hopefully I can stay involved in my minimalist way.
embries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Don, and welcome to MR. Glad you found us.

If you go to the online wsj.com page for online subscribers, isn't there a place to setup mobile access? In fact, it sends you to http://mobile.wsj.com/, and has a wi-fi option for mobile devices. It probably adds cost for the service on top of your online subscription, but it might be sufficient to use for loading the news to your mobile device.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
embries
embries began at the beginning.

Unfortunately, they've not made a good option for that on mobile.wsj.com. They've got a cell phone option, but it's very limited (doesn't include article full test). Then they have the MP3 option from Audible.com, but that doesn't let me "read" the paper. Then they refer us (PDA users) to the "WiFi option" which essentially says you can point a browser to www.wsj.com for free if your device supports it. The problem is that trying to view www.wsj.com on a PocketPC is next to useless. Too much going on with the page, load times take forever. I've tried streamlining it with skweeze, google for PDA etc. Didn't really work. I've started looking at sunrisexp, but it will take forever to configure that, and I still don't know if I can trim it down to be useable on the device.
embries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I see what you mean. Actually, SunriseXP might not be that hard to set up, and even to build custom scripts for. There are posts at MR describing those things in pretty simple terms. But the complex page doesn't help.

Can you find appropriate RSS feeds? I believe SunriseXP allows you to set up content from RSS feeds, but include the printable page text for the feed item. So if you can find RSS feeds with the content you need, and a simple URL pattern to go from the regular article to the print version URL, then you are all set.

Another possibility I've used with Sunrise is to identify the URL pattern to filter out (or anti-filter). Then from the main page plus a link depth of 1, you can probably get all the articles. But still probably not pretty this way.

If you get it working one way or another, be sure to let us know how you did it!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote