Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
lokai-lin
lokai-lin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Delete factory pics/music...?

I tried resetting to factory default (within the UI), but those damn Lampost and Babies remain on the internal memory...

Docudesk PRS browser won't do it, neither will Calibre. How can I remove that crap?
lokai-lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Delete them using the Sony eBook Library software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
lokai-lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Delete them using the Sony eBook Library software.
I don't run windows. Any options for linux and/or mac?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid I don't know any other way of doing it - sorry.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokai-lin View Post
I don't run windows. Any options for linux and/or mac?
You should be able to do so using Calibre.

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

If you have any trouble doing this via Calibre, ask in the Calibre forum abd I'm sure someone will help from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
lokai-lin

Calibre won't, at least in its current version. According to calibre (the GUI at least), nothing shows up in the reader's internal memory.

Thanks for the help anyways, though
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Just mount the filesystem, find the files and delete them.

Filenames are:

Graphics:

Baby.jpg
Family.jpg
Lampposts.jpeg

Books (excerpts mostly):
CBUS12511001A00U.lrf
CBUS12511001D00X.lrf
CBUS12511001F00Z.lrf
CBUS12511001300N.lrf
CBUS12511001800S.lrf
CBUS12511001400O.lrf
CBUS12511001500P.lrf
CBUS12511001C00W.lrf
CBUS12511001700R.lrf
CBUS12511001E00Y.lrf
CBUS12511001200M.lrf
CBUS12511001600Q.lrf
CBUS12511001900T.lrf
CBUS12511001B00V.lrf
CBUS12511001100L.lrf

I kept the two .mp3 files and don't have their filenames handy.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How do you "mount the filesystem" on a PRS-500? Mount it on what?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Mounting, in computer science, is the process of making a file system ready for use by the operating system, typically by reading certain index data structures from storage into memory ahead of time. The term recalls a period in the history of computing when an operator had to physically place (mount) a magnetic tape or hard disk on a spindle before using it.
Okay, I've been using linux for a long time but only just now found out the historical reasons why it is called mount - or 'mapping a drive' for the windows crowd. I almost fear to go look up grep.

global regular expression print?

That's disappointing. Anyway, to get back on track, I don't think you mount the prs-500 as the prs-505 is the one that you mount like a regular filesystem.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-20-2008 at 09:03 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm well aware of what the word means, thanks, AZ . I was just asking how one mounts the file system of a PRS-500 because, like you, I was under the impression that it could only be done on a 505, which is of no help to the original poster.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The "mount it on what" comment threw me off - the normal answer would be "a mount point"
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
lokai-lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Just mount the filesystem, find the files and delete them.

Filenames are:

Graphics:

Baby.jpg
Family.jpg
Lampposts.jpeg

Books (excerpts mostly):
CBUS12511001A00U.lrf
CBUS12511001D00X.lrf
CBUS12511001F00Z.lrf
CBUS12511001300N.lrf
CBUS12511001800S.lrf
CBUS12511001400O.lrf
CBUS12511001500P.lrf
CBUS12511001C00W.lrf
CBUS12511001700R.lrf
CBUS12511001E00Y.lrf
CBUS12511001200M.lrf
CBUS12511001600Q.lrf
CBUS12511001900T.lrf
CBUS12511001B00V.lrf
CBUS12511001100L.lrf

I kept the two .mp3 files and don't have their filenames handy.

William

This is correct. The files are
/Data/media/images/Baby.jpg (etc)
/Data/media/Audio/SleepyTime.mp3 (etc)

so the command to remove the Lamppost picture is:
prs500 rm /Data/media/images/Lampposts.jpeg
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the prs500 command from calibre, it allows you to browse and alter the filesystems on both the PRS500 and PRS505
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
angelaruk
angelaruk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
I just plugged my prs 505 into my PC via USB, viewed it as an external hard drive, found the files as listed above and moved them into a folder on my pc (so that I can restore them if I ever decide to part with my new-found best friend). Was that beginnners luck? All of the above sounds so complicated - I got rid of pictures, sounds and books all the same way.
angelaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokai-lin View Post
I tried resetting to factory default (within the UI), but those damn Lampost and Babies remain on the internal memory...

Docudesk PRS browser won't do it, neither will Calibre. How can I remove that crap?
if you have PRS 500 look for a hackbuilder on this site.
One of the hacks is for deleting the fike fron card or internal memory.

Hackbuilder itself is windows program, but this program just edits an xml file for you. You can do it by hand in a text editor.

After preparing the "hack" you put some files on the card and insert the card to the Reader and press some buttons.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote