Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #631
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GoSharks: I held up for one whole week!
As usual, works great!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #632
darkpaniel
darkpaniel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, I'm brand new to the kindle paperwhite. I've followed all the instructions posted on this thread to first jailbreak, then to install the screensaver hack... and then I got stuck.

This may sound dumb, but how exactly does one create a blank file (for "last" or "cover") to drop into the linkss folder?

I'm ultimately trying to make it so that when I open the cover of my official kindle case (the one with the magnet), it'll go back to what I was reading, rather than showing an ad for another book.

Thanks in advance for your help.
darkpaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #633
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@darkpaniel: Then you missed something . What you describe sounds like an SO (Special Offers) device, in which case the only recommended way to get rid of it is to pay the fee to unsubscribe from SO in your 'Manage Your Kindle' page @ Amazon. Once your device is no longer part of the Special Offers program, this hack will function as expected, but not until that.

On the other hand, if you're British, and this is a device bought from Waterstones, keep reading .

The easiest way to control the hack settings is through the KUAL extension that's automatically installed alongside the hack, so I'd recommend you look into how to setup KUAL, by checking out this sticky thread.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #634
darkpaniel
darkpaniel began at the beginning.

Thanks, NiLuJe.

So if I'm understanding this correct.. there's simply no way to have my kindle go straight to my last page without unsubscribing from the SO?

If that's the case, could you please explain to me what the screensaver hack is used for then? Is it just to add custom screen savers?

Thanks again.
darkpaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #635
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@darkpaniel: Yep.

And, yeah, that's it. Custom screensavers/cover of the last book opened.
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #636
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi NiLuJe. I can't seem to get cover mode working for one particular book. It keeps showing cover is not generated even after multiple reboots and opening the book. However, it works fine for the other books. Anyway to reindex all the bookcovers again?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #637
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@TheSacredSoul: You could of course clear the cover cache (there's a button for it in the 'Tools' section of the KUAL extension), but no, there's no 'let's forcefully process every books in the documents folder' option .

It'd be somewhat trivial to add, but extremely resource hungry, if there's demand...

Now, on to that specific book! Clearing the cache won't magically make it work . If it fails each and everytime, and not because of the 60s timeout, it probably means the format is unsupported, or the metadata is broken. Do you know the format of the book?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #638
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice one for #3,000
Oops - just broke my .44-40 (an American classic rife cartridge - the "one that won the west")
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #639
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Eh! I noticed that yesterday, was thinking about what kind of silly thing I should do for the 3K.... And then promptly forgot about it today, so, it'll have to do ;D.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #640
igorcv88
igorcv88 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight
Screensaver not Showing Up

Hi, I am triyng to use a costum screensaver (the image is PNG and it is at the 758x1024 size (kindle Paperwhite)), I rebooted and when I put it to sleep it turns the backlight off, and keeps the current image (like the page of the book I am at). What do I do?
igorcv88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #641
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@igorcv88:

Quote:
* Get the last thing shown on screen (or a blank screen on FW 2/3/4) in cycle mode, either straight-away or after a few working custom images? One of the files in your screensaver pool upset the Kindle firmware . That rarely happens on FW 2/3/4 (you're much more likely to see a corrupted image, rather than breaking the whole thing, which is what happens on FW 5.x: once it fails in this way, only a reboot will make the framework try again, even if the next file in the cycle is okay, the framework just appears to give up on screensavers), but on FW 5.x, that means checking the size, format, resolution of each and every file in your pool, to see if it matches the device, and really is a PNG8 (optionally properly dithered down to 16 colors).
'Broken' image. Make sure it's a proper 8bit PNG.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #642
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@TheSacredSoul: You could of course clear the cover cache (there's a button for it in the 'Tools' section of the KUAL extension), but no, there's no 'let's forcefully process every books in the documents folder' option .

It'd be somewhat trivial to add, but extremely resource hungry, if there's demand...

Now, on to that specific book! Clearing the cache won't magically make it work . If it fails each and everytime, and not because of the 60s timeout, it probably means the format is unsupported, or the metadata is broken. Do you know the format of the book?
Thanks for the reply! It's a .mobi book, just like all my other books. I tried a different cover for it too and it still doesn't work. Deleted the cover file from linkss folder, rebooted, added the cover file again, rebooted, still not working. But all my other books work without a hitch though. And I noticed if I opened another book first, say A Game of Thrones and then open this book, the cover for this offending book shows the cover of A Game of Thrones instead when it goes to sleep.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #643
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@TheSacredSoul: that does confirm the theory that this specific book has wonky metadata, or that KindleUnpack or IM chokes on it.

Would you mind PM'ing me a link to the offending book file?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #644
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Perfectly working on Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1!

Perfectly working on Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4!

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 07-16-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #645
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir

Quote:
@TheSacredSoul: that does confirm the theory that this specific book has wonky metadata, or that KindleUnpack or IM chokes on it.

Would you mind PM'ing me a link to the offending book file?
Just PMed you! Thank you

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch