Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
kayak
kayak began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle question

Hi All,

I'm Canadian. I'm confused by Amazon's information. Can someone tell me a bit more about this.

If I want to upload Word docs onto the device, can I convert them to the kindle format? I'm confused b/c the website says Canadians can't send files via wi-fi and the directions for conversation are via wi-fi. Is there a way to convert them when you upload them via USB? Or can you use another program to convert them and then upload them?

Thanxs
kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You can send the word document to Amazon using email and they will email you back a fully compatible file that will work on your Kindle. There is a free version and a paid version for this. Then you just copy it over via USB. There are also free applications available that can convert Word documents as well.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
kayak
kayak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do Canadians have access to this email feature?
kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I suppose, it's just email
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Slightly off-topic here, if I may.... we Canadians struggle with another disadvantage too: some free books cannot be downloaded. Example: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectat...igital-text_56

Anyone found a workaround? Maybe change our country of residence in our Amazon account, temporarily?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
bookscanning.co
bookscanning.co began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMaker View Post
Slightly off-topic here, if I may.... we Canadians struggle with another disadvantage too: some free books cannot be downloaded. Example: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectat...igital-text_56

Anyone found a workaround? Maybe change our country of residence in our Amazon account, temporarily?
If you're searching specifically for this book, you can download it here at http://www.archive.org/details/great...atio00dickgoog and transfer it then to your e-reader . Many free books can be found there or at gutenberg.org .

Timo
bookscanning.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Thanks, Bookscanning.co; I don't particularly want that book, just wondering if there is a workaround.
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Hi Kayak - you might find the following thread helpful:

Personal Document Service via Whispernet in Canada
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote