Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #16951
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished Bernard Cornwell's 1356. I was pleased to read such an excellent book (great characters and action-packed), horrified to realize that I had missed the preceeding 3 books in the series, and gratified that I now have another three installments to read.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #16952
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
With all the footnotes, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is not well suited for an audiobook.
I have to disagree. Doesn't bother me one bit, and Mr. Prebble does a great job with footnotes as well as with main text.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #16953
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Carrying on with my Wodehouse binge, I've just finished "A Prefect's Uncle", originally published in 1903. This is the 2nd book in the "School" series (which, as I said in my previous Wodehouse post, although not what Wodehouse is best known for, is a series that I very much enjoy).

This book is set in the (fictional) Beckford College. Gethryn, a school prefect, is dismayed to learn that his uncle - a boy 4 years younger than himself - is to attend the school, and his fears are fully justified. Hugely enjoyable, although perhaps a little incomprehensible if you don't understand cricket, since games of cricket form a large part of the book.

My next book is a re-read of the fantasy classic "Silverthorn" by Raymond Feist; the second book in the "Riftwar" saga.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-23-2013 at 09:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #16954
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm halfway through "Ocean at the end of the lane". An excellent read, very creepy.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #16955
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The first story in Beginnings kind of put me off, given the problem you sited. So I decided to try something else. Read a couple of stories the A Liaden Universe Constellation , then over to Draw One in the Dark. We'll see...
Well, I've re-read just about all of A Liaden Universe Constellation . Nothing new here, but mostly good stories. (Though I admit, I don't enjoy the Lute & Moonhawk stories as much as others. )

And I finished Draw One in the Dark. Mixed feelings about it, there were definitely some weaknesses. But in the end, I plopped down my $6.99 for the next one Gentleman Takes a Chance. And now I have to swing back to Beginnings by David Weber, et al, since Paul assures us that the rest of the stories are better than the first.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #16956
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But the rest of the stories more than made up for it. Overall, an excellent collection. It's a shame it's let down by a very poor plot point in the first story.

Next up: A Liaden Universe Constellation: Volume 1. Although this will be a quick read, as only one of the stories is new to me, the last one: "Sweet Waters". All the others appear in Liaden Unibus Volume I or II.
A nice little story, but (I think) strictly a side-story.

Next up: Wolf in Shadow by John Lambshead. A novel set in the same world as his story in the urban fantasy collection "The Wild Side", with some of the same characters turning up. Knowledge of the short story is not needed for the novel. It's looking good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #16957
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My weekend reading had dipped alarmingly in interest & quality (more later about that) ... but then I opened Crampton Hodnet by Barbara Pym - IMHO her funniest novel, showcasing her droll wit and keen observations of North Oxford academics and their follies.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #16958
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To offer a contrary opinion, I absolutely loved it.
Actually, that wouldn't have surprised me a while back. I had thought it might appeal to people who liked Dickens. However, I loaned it to my mother who is a Dickens fan and she hated it. I don't think she got through it either which was extremely odd for her.

An aside - have you read Drood by Dan Simmons? I haven't read it myself yet (it's on my list somewhere), but I think it may interest you.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #16959
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My next book is a re-read of the fantasy classic "Silverthorn" by Raymond Feist; the second book in the "Riftwar" saga.
Possibly my favourite of the first three. Such a great book.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #16960
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Have you read The City & The City? It's on my TBR so I still haven't read it yet, it seems really good. It would be my first time reading anything by Miéville.
So far, The City & The City has been my favourite of Mieville's works. I was blown away by this novel, but it's very different from the others. I didn't feel like it was a fantasy as such, it was...

That's probably one of the reasons I loved it so much - I can't finish my sentences when trying to describe it.

I'll be reading Embassytown at some stage this year.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #16961
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Slightly off topic again, sorry.
Today's Amazon (fr) deal is Spend game by Jonathan Gash for 0,99€. Buy or pass?

To stay on topic, I should finish A Game of Thrones by the end of the week, maybe earlier. I've read another book but so far I don't know how to rate it and what to think of it. More about it later when I'd figured that out.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #16962
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Buy. I'm a big fan of Jonathan Gash's "Lovejoy" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #16963
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Buy. The Lovejoy books are great.

I'm still reading the John Lambshead book I mentioned above. I'm really enjoying it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #16964
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you very much, will do
Little ashamed here, but I know nothing about the author nor the series. It will be a good opportunity to correct that.

Is it important to read the Lovejoy series in order?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #16965
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Quote:
Now, see, here is one where I would have said to pass and stick with the TV series. I found the Gash books too aggressively misogynist.

Last edited by CRussel; 06-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote