Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
bkv
bkv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Kindle books on my PRS-T1

Hi
I believe I read somewhere on this forum that it is possible to read books from Amazon in the PRS-T1. I can't find the posting, but I beilieve one should use Calibre to convert from Kindle format to Epub. Is that right?
To try this out i bought i book at Amazon.com. It is in my library, but I have no idea what i need to do with it. I can read the book in the cload reader, but I cannot find out how to download it.
Can anyone help?

Regards,
Bjorn
bkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
If it's a purchased book you will need to strip the drm protection before you can convert it... google "apprentice Alf) for one way of doing this ...otherwise it is very straightforward just convert to e-pub using calibre
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
You need to get the file downloaded to your computer by sending it to the Kindle for PC (or Mac) application from Amazon. So download the free app to your computer, register it to your Amazon account, and send the book from your Amazon library (Manage Your Kindle page) to the Kindle for PC/Mac app. When you buy future books from Amazon you'll be able to select the Kindle for.... app and send the file directly to your computer. You'll find the book file (.azw suffix) located on your computer in the My Kindle Content folder that corresponds with the Kindle for PC (or Mac) app.

Now you can add the .azw book file to calibre and convert the format from mobi to epub to use on your Sony. Note: if the ebook has DRM protection, then you'll need the plugins from Apprentice Alf added to calibre in order to free the file so you can do a conversion.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkv View Post
Hi
I believe I read somewhere on this forum that it is possible to read books from Amazon in the PRS-T1. I can't find the posting, but I beilieve one should use Calibre to convert from Kindle format to Epub. Is that right?
To try this out i bought i book at Amazon.com. It is in my library, but I have no idea what i need to do with it. I can read the book in the cload reader, but I cannot find out how to download it.
Can anyone help?

Regards,
Bjorn
You could also run one of the rooting hacks for the T1 and install Kindle for Android. No need to crack DRM or convert files; it turns the T1 into a Kindle as well as an ePub reader.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ing_and_Tweaks
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
bkv

Thanks, guys. It worked with the Kindle fo PC.

I thought about rooting the device, but I don't know what the pros and cons are. It works well as a book reader now. That is what I bought it for.
-Bjorn
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
.............................. Now you can add the .azw book file to calibre and convert the format from mobi to epub to use on your Sony. Note: if the ebook has DRM protection, then you'll need the plugins from Apprentice Alf added to calibre in order to free the file so you can do a conversion.
Allegedly ........

And, of course, it's nothing to do with Calibre ..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
bkv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

Now you can add the .azw book file to calibre and convert the format from mobi to epub to use on your Sony. Note: if the ebook has DRM protection, then you'll need the plugins from Apprentice Alf added to calibre in order to free the file so you can do a conversion.

Hi again. I got the plugin from Apprentice Alf installed, but it says it needs a 10 character PID. What is that?

-Bjorn

Last edited by bkv; 09-08-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkv View Post
Hi again. I got the plugin from Apprentice Alf installed, but it says it needs a 10 character PID. What is that?

-Bjorn
You can find the information in Alf's blog. A PID is a Personal ID or an identifier for your device/userid that Amazon assigns to its customers so they can access their books. I was able to find mine and add the info to the plugin by following the instructions in the blog, or do a Google search...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
AFAIK you don't need a PID if you get the Kindle for PC app and use the books from that as your source.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
You do need it for what he's asking for... You can't get kindle books onto a Sony unless you convert the format.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
No you don't need the PID - as long as it's downloaded to K4PC, it should be a simple conversion from .azw to .epub

I would note, that I don't own a Kindle, and only have K4PC.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
No you don't need the PID - as long as it's downloaded to K4PC, it should be a simple conversion from .azw to .epub

The conversion should be simple unless it turns out to be a Topaz format book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
bkv

Thanks guys, I finally got around to working on this again. I manqged to use one of Apprentice Alf's python tools.. After that Calibre would convert the book to epub. Unfortnuately the book's original format was Topaz, and the conversion isn't perfect; Apprentice Alfs points out in his blog that conversion from Topaz has its problems. Despite that, the book is readable in epub as far as have have seen til now.
Bjorn

Last edited by bkv; 09-16-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: rephrasing

Tags
amazon, kindle, prs-t1