Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
for all of you stargazers!

the perseids begin now! I used to go to sleep in the back with the kids watching them!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I don't think we can see them in OZ.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I will keep my eyes open.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the perseids begin now! I used to go to sleep in the back with the kids watching them!
Thank you kk. The first time she spent the Summer holidays here, in the hills south of the lakes, we found an opening not far from the house, not excessively disturbed by the artificial lights. We spent most of the night lying on our backs on a blanket watching. And marveling. We were lucky, there were no clouds to diffuse the lights of the cities near by, and no moon. The stars themselves were enough to justify giving up our comfortable bed. We were looking at the Northern sky. Toward South there was too much light from the many towns and the airport. So we found a small ridge against which we set our bivouac. I had a thermos of coffee, and a little flask. But then the falling and slowly understanding of their surprising ways gave us much joy.

Ah, I am sorry, I forgot to introduce her, she is my wife. Meet my friend KK.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I don't think we can see them in OZ.
yeah I don't think you can either. they really are fantastic and more impressive the further north you are. growing up in Colorado and New Mexico it was kind of like... oh cool, shooting star. here it's like SHAZZAM!!!! you can't keep up with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Thank you kk. The first time she spent the Summer holidays here, in the hills south of the lakes, we found an opening not far from the house, not excessively disturbed by the artificial lights. We spent most of the night lying on our backs on a blanket watching. And marveling. We were lucky, there were no clouds to diffuse the lights of the cities near by, and no moon. The stars themselves were enough to justify giving up our comfortable bed. We were looking at the Northern sky. Toward South there was too much light from the many towns and the airport. So we found a small ridge against which we set our bivouac. I had a thermos of coffee, and a little flask. But then the falling and slowly understanding of their surprising ways gave us much joy.

Ah, I am sorry, I forgot to introduce her, she is my wife. Meet my friend KK.
*waves*
Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Oh That's just great! Same time every year some damn fool loses an eye watching them damn Perseids!

Don't you come crying to me, when you get your eye shot out!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Oh That's just great! Same time every year some damn fool loses an eye watching them damn Perseids!
There is no danger is watching a meteor shower. Meteors burn up around 80-100km above the Earth's surface.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no danger is watching a meteor shower. Meteors burn up around 80-100km above the Earth's surface.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would rather tell people the truth than spread misinformation.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

The real danger of watching a meteor shower is if Mr. Meteor comes home early and catches you!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
gee for a minute there I thought we needed to turn on your humour button or something
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
I understand your position, Harry. I thank you for setting the record straight.

I guess I figured that only the lost tribes of Appalachia would seriously believe that watching a meteor shower could bare a risk of losing an eye.

And that they do not have internet access.

I meant no harm.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I know you were making a joke, but as a keen amateur astronomer myself, I want people to go out and look at these things, not hide under the bed worried that a meteor might hit them .
Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
No, I know you were making a joke, but as a keen amateur astronomer myself, I want people to go out and look at these things, not hide under the bed worried that a meteor might hit them .
Good point. I was being reckless.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
You will see, tonight it's cloudy and raining. While last night it was clear beyond belief (I know, I got stuck in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night...) But I did see a meteor yesterday!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote