Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just a vote against screen protectors - I would not stick anything to any screen... I do use a good leather cover on my Sony.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
There seems to be some confusion over what the original poster meant by "screen protector". Not sure if they chimed back in to clear that up or not.

Protection from breakage - I would definitely recommend looking into a case that will protect your screen from impact, etc. Most of these devices have a glass layer somewhere in the display, which can crack if hit/dropped. This is especially important if you are planning on carrying it around with you. Unfortunately, I've seen lots of reports of these devices getting broken in someone's backpack, etc. Usually because they didn't have a good case, or just had a "soft" one without a protective shell.

Protection from scratching - This probably isn't necessary. I'm not sure about other devices, but I believe iRex (which requires a stylus) already coats their screens with a scratch resistant layer. So an additional plastic stick-on protector is redundant. I'm not sure what some of the "finger" touchscreen devices do though, as opposed to the "stylus" touchscreen ones.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I work for eBook Reader Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda_junkie View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like overwhelming "no" so I'll try it without and see how it goes.
Dear pda_junkie:

Our company has handled its fair share of techncial problems and warranty work. Never seen a scartached screen. The Astak comes with a quality crush-resistant case in the price; but I think that should be all you need. It would take a diamond to scratch the glass on the screen. Screens will BREAK so the case is critical. But I have seen no need for screen protectors!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
pda_junkie
Enthusiast
pda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watchpda_junkie is clearly one to watch

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
There seems to be some confusion over what the original poster meant by "screen protector". Not sure if they chimed back in to clear that up or not.
I was actually refering to something that sticks directly to the screen to prevent scratches. It sounds like e-ink screens aren't really prone to scratches just due to the way they are used.
pda_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
update on the screen protector for my Sony 900.

As far as glare, there was no difference with or without a anti-glare protector.

As for smudges from the oil of fingers, it did seem to protect there. The problem I have had is that I bought ones that were for the Sony 505 and it didn't fit right.
So, after a week or so it hindered my ability to get the stylus to work.

I thought it was because the battery was low, but it seems that the slight difference in size (the protector was a tab bit bigger than the screen on the reader) interferred with the stylus making connection.

Anyhow, if you are thinking of one for glare, a screen protector won't make a difference. If to protect from oil from hands/fingers, for food crumbs (who would eat or drink over their reader!?) then it would work, if you can find the right size. Someone somewhere said they cut one down to size from some type of plastic sheet, maybe what is used for projectors?

Hope that helps in the debate of to or not to use a screen protector.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I don't use a screen protector on my Pocket Pro (which is e-ink). Never had any problems. As Robertb mentions, it does have a protective case that helps shield it when not reading. I think it is wise to have a rigid protective cover for any e-ink reader. As far as screen protectors, this seems pointless to me when using e-ink.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote