Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by navis View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have an SD card ? Could be a mistake, or I didn't understand what you meant (English is not my language), but their websites states 4GB internal storage + up to 32GB through microSD for the Aura...

I'm myself trying to decide between a Glo and an Aura, so this difference could be decisive :-)
Most of the other Kobo ereaders have their internal memory on an micro SD card. This can be upgraded or reimaged if needed. But the internal memory of the Aura is fixed and can't be replace.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:06 AM   #47
rahulsh1986
rahulsh1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX & iPhone 5
Kobo Aura is the latest edition, based on Linux platform, is slightly larger at 5.9" x 4.5" x 0.3" and with 4gb memory instead of the 2 gb memory.

Aura also has better battery life and comes with pre-installed games like chess.

I personally prefer Kindle though. Just a suggestion. It is primarily because Amazon has a large collection and comes with offers every now and then. There are also Indie authors that publish there.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-18-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: removed links
rahulsh1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #48
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsh1986 View Post
I personally prefer Kindle though. Just a suggestion. It is primarily because Amazon has a large collection and comes with offers every now and then. There are also Indie authors that publish there.
Personally, I'd rather own both e-readers, which one can justify financially by staggering purchases and generally upgrading less. I like to have current epub ereaders, but I can manage with an older Kindle as long as it can accept Amazon's basic formats.

The important thing is to have access to both formats' libraries (Kobo and other epub vendors'; Amazon's) and to use Calibre to shuttle between them and build your own.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #49
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Unhappy

Just thought I'd revisit my post from a year ago! A little late! I'd like to give my impression, but sadly my aura HD didn't last very long - hopefully the attachment worksClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	123227. I must have twisted it or smacked it in my bag. I had hoped there was some way to replace the screen but from what I've been reading it would cost slightly less than a new one. Kinda want to punch myself in the face now. Guess I won't be finishing GoT! Blah, not sure what to do now. I can't drop that much money again but it seems like buying a cheaper ereader would be futile given my pickiness.
Indecisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #50
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Nasty! Was it in a rigid case?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #51
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

*looks down at feet*

It wasn't in a case DOH!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #52
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Three things:

1. Keep your books on an mSD card and back them up. That way, if the reader has to be reset or the screen gets destroyed and you're unable to establish a connection with your PC, you can remove the card and nothing happens to your library. If you use the Kobo extension plugin, you can even sync your progress so that you don't lose your place.

2. A case doesn't have to be expensive. It has only to stay closed. Some of the cheaper cases are bulky (TuffLuv) but offer a lot of insulation against drops.

3. Now that you've (sadly) dropped your AHD and you're less likely to spend lots of money, watch for sales and refurbished models in the deals thread. You have my sympathy, but don't stop reading.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #53
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
Aura is prettier, less blue frontlight, and better battery.
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #54
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
Guess I won't be finishing GoT! Blah, not sure what to do now. I can't drop that much money again but it seems like buying a cheaper ereader would be futile given my pickiness.
Have you seen this deal yet? You can buy a Kobo Glo for $68 as long as you do it today or tonight.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 AM   #55
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Have you seen this deal yet? You can buy a Kobo Glo for $68 as long as you do it today or tonight.
Nope! Guess I missed it. I'm still pacing the house over getting the glo. I keep reading about the glare and my migraine befuddled eyeballs are a bit scared!

Thanks though

Ugh, I deserve this!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #56
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Glare? On a Kobo? I don't find eink readers to have a glare. Tablets, very much so. And with the Kobo you can turn the light off.

For taking out in your bag, I suggest a Kobo Mini. I don't take my Aura HD out of the house, a reader that big and that expensive, I want kept safe. The Aura is a great size for taking anywhere, though. As is the Glo.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #57
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecisive View Post
*looks down at feet*

It wasn't in a case DOH!

As you were told in your other thread about this issue, it's unfortunate, but it's a lesson you will hopefully have learned: Keep your reader protected, especially when you let nieces and nephews play with it.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Glare? On a Kobo? I don't find eink readers to have a glare.
The Glo doesn't have reflective glare, but the lowest light setting is a little bright (to my eyes) for pitch-dark reading. Which can be solved by turning a light on, if possible; or by buying an Aura instead

ETA: AND A CASE.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #59
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
As you were told in your other thread about this issue, it's unfortunate, but it's a lesson you will hopefully have learned: Keep your reader protected, especially when you let nieces and nephews play with it.

Well, I revisited this thread because a poster asked that I return eventually to say how I liked it - the other thread was to ask people's opinion on whether it could have been something else. So I decided to give an update here saying my time was brief with a photo as a bit of a joke about our short time together. Didn't really start threads all over or anything.

Yes, I've learned I need to get a case for it. Thank you. I'll be checking the forum threads for case suggestions.

And I didn't let them play with it. But I also don't keep a safe in England for when I visit.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #60
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The Glo doesn't have reflective glare, but the lowest light setting is a little bright (to my eyes) for pitch-dark reading. Which can be solved by turning a light on, if possible; or by buying an Aura instead

ETA: AND A CASE.

I hear ya! I think I'm gonna get another aura, and most definitely a case!