Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #31
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
My other half has an Aura, so I pulled it out to check. The Aura definitely goes dimmer than my Glo. (My Aura HD also goes dimmer than my Glo.)
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #32
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
My other half has an Aura, so I pulled it out to check. The Aura definitely goes dimmer than my Glo. (My Aura HD also goes dimmer than my Glo.)
Awesome, thank you!
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
For those of you with both the Glo and the Aura: Is the least bright light setting on the Aura just as bright as on the Glo? I love my Glo, but I do wish it could be a little less bright (especially when I have a migraine. Ouch.).
I have both devices. I just checked for you. 1% on the Aura6" is very much lower than 1% on the Glo in a fully dark room.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #34
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
The Kobo Web site states the Aura supports both ePub and mobi. Does this mean you can read Kindle books on the Aura?

Have been using a Sony (505 and T1) since early 08 but Sony is getting out of the eBook business in the US so I'm looking for an alternate.

Also, I assume I can read non DRM books on the Aura like the books in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. Have I got that right?

Thanks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #35
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
if it supports .mobi files then you could read books from Amazon but they are DRMed... If by kindle books you mean azw or azw2/3/4 that Amazon uses, no, you can't
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
as far as mobi books go I get most of mine from gutenberg.org

Last edited by Glorfindel; 03-10-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #37
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
The Kobo Web site states the Aura supports both ePub and mobi. Does this mean you can read Kindle books on the Aura?
You can read DRM free .mobi books, but you are better off converting them to epub with calibre
Quote:
Also, I assume I can read non DRM books on the Aura like the books in the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. Have I got that right?

Thanks
Yes, you can either copy them directly with you favorite filemanager (like Windows explorer) or use Calibre.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #38
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks for the info
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #39
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I've handled the glo and the aura hd instore. the glo felt and looked like a toy next to the aura hd.
the hd was pure class. the screen clarity is exceptional. the light looked perfect. I could barely see the led sources at the top of the screen.

The glo is fine. the led source at the top was very visible. again the screen clarity was fine.

But the hd was a caddilac. awesome. id get the auta hd. I would just have to. its hands down much nicer.

the only reason I might get the glo is because it can be rooted. that's not for everyone. the hd cannot be rooted afaik.

A big downer with glo is that some people find that the light is too bright ia dark room. That would really put me off.

Incidentally im not sure if you're talking about the aura hd or the newer smaller aura. im talking about the hd. the new aura can be rooted and the light goes down all the way afaik.

regarding browsing on the net, I'm posting from a rooted nook using opera. I'm accessing the mobileread.mobi mobile version of the site and its a very pleasant experience. in this case its better than using a tablet. non mobile sites are quite a pain to use though. if you root the glo or aura (non-hd) you can do more with them. but you need to be tech-savvy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #40
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've handled the glo and the aura hd instore. the glo felt and looked like a toy next to the aura hd.
the hd was pure class. the screen clarity is exceptional. the light looked perfect. I could barely see the led sources at the top of the screen.

The glo is fine. the led source at the top was very visible. again the screen clarity was fine.
That's a good trick considering the LEDs are along the bottom of the screen.
Quote:
But the hd was a caddilac. awesome. id get the auta hd. I would just have to. its hands down much nicer.
Personally, I though the opposite. The Aura HD feels cheap and platicy.
Quote:
the only reason I might get the glo is because it can be rooted. that's not for everyone. the hd cannot be rooted afaik.
The Glo, Mini, Touch and Aura HD are all rootable in pretty much the same way. Not all the tweaks and patches needed have been worked out for all of them, but a lot have. The newer Aura doesn't have an internal SD card, so it isn't if access to this is needed. And it is more dangerous to root as you can't put the original image back on the device easily.
Quote:
A big downer with glo is that some people find that the light is too bright ia dark room. That would really put me off.
A firmware change reduced the light level and newer devices seem to be less bright.
Quote:
Incidentally im not sure if you're talking about the aura hd or the newer smaller aura. im talking about the hd. the new aura can be rooted and the light goes down all the way afaik.
As I said above, the new Aura is the least rootable of the Kobo devices because it doesn't have the internal SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's a good trick considering the LEDs are along the bottom of the screen.

What I find really weird......I just got a white Glo, and there is such a glare along the top, that it looks like there are lights up there! Much more of a glow there, than on my black Glo. Both running the same firmware. I find it very strange how different the lighting is on them. Not complaining, I absolutely love the white Kobo Glo. (and the black Glo, and the white mini, and the black mini, and the black Aura HD....you get the idea ). The screen of the Aura HD is truly amazing, though. The lighting has none of the glow I described. It is superb. But I don't take the Aura HD out of the house. So I have the Glo and Mini for that
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #42
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
The Glo, Mini, Touch and Aura HD are all rootable in pretty much the same way. Not all the tweaks and patches needed have been worked out for all of them, but a lot have. The newer Aura doesn't have an internal SD card, so it isn't if access to this is needed. And it is more dangerous to root as you can't put the original image back on the device easily. . . . As I said above, the new Aura is the least rootable of the Kobo devices because it doesn't have the internal SD card.
Just to clarify:

You're saying that the device which is more difficult to root is the Aura and not the Aura HD.

This is worth pointing out because Rizla's comments were about the Aura HD specifically even though the thread is about the Glo and the Aura. I wouldn't want people to buy/avoid the wrong e-reader if ease of rooting is a deal-making feature for them.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-18-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
A firmware change reduced the light level and newer devices seem to be less bright.
I asked recently in the kobo forum about this, and whether rooting would improve it, and I was informed it is still too bright for many people. Apparently it's a hardware limit and some people have resorted to soldering in a resistor. A real pity. Thank you for the clarification re: the new aura and rooting. Again, what a pity.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #44
navis
navis began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
The newer Aura doesn't have an internal SD card, so it isn't if access to this is needed. And it is more dangerous to root as you can't put the original image back on the device easily.

As I said above, the new Aura is the least rootable of the Kobo devices because it doesn't have the internal SD card.
Are you sure it doesn't have an SD card ? Could be a mistake, or I didn't understand what you meant (English is not my language), but their websites states 4GB internal storage + up to 32GB through microSD for the Aura...

I'm myself trying to decide between a Glo and an Aura, so this difference could be decisive :-)

Thanks,
--
Rémi
navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by navis View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have an SD card ? Could be a mistake, or I didn't understand what you meant (English is not my language), but their websites states 4GB internal storage + up to 32GB through microSD for the Aura...

I'm myself trying to decide between a Glo and an Aura, so this difference could be decisive :-)

Thanks,
--
Rémi
Yes, the Aura DOES have a micro SD slot for an external card.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote