Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

Personally, I really like my new Aura. My old reader is a PRS-T1, so noticeably lighter, but with no reading light.

The better screen is worth the money, I think - it's noticeably clearer, so easier on the eye. I can't comment on the quality of the light, because I've never used a reader with one before, but I've got no complaints about the Aura's light.

The bigger screen is nice - fewer page turns, so the battery ought to last just a little bit longer. I was worried that the device wouldn't fit into my handbag, but it's not actually that much larger than the PRS-T1 - I can even use the same cover.

I don't regret paying out the extra - the Aura is a lovely device. It's nice to hold (although obviously noticeably heavery than the PRS-T1) in one hand, even though I have quite small hands (size 6 gloves). I generally hold it in my left hand and use my thumb to turn the pages. The device is nice and smooth to touch, but does not feel slippery.

My husband saw it and immediately decided to order one for himself.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
SoSo
SoSo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hello all.

I know ima little late in this discussion but to me to Glo model (the one I use) win by a very large gap.

55 hours of use for the Glo vs 28 hours for the Aura. This alone is a deal breaker because I use my Glo on hiking / backpacking trips and the Glo has twice (twice) the battery life of the Aura. Moreover, the Glo is significantly lighter.

I think the the Glo, the first front light model from Kobo, will always be the best model. Buy em while they last. Next year, Kobo will offer a bigger processor (eating battery), even better definition (eating battery), better OS and features and a full browser (eating battery), better whatever we dont need or use (eating battery), ...etc.

So, the leanest, lightest, most battery effective model is the Glo. From now on, Kobo models will only go downhill and will become huge battery sucking squids with ads all over the place like a blinking pizza.

Get a Kobo Glo.
SoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Is there a place to buy a Kobo in the US other than directly from Kobo? I'm interested in trying a Glo or Aura as my Nook Glowlight is having recurrent problems with the screen (on my second replacement in as many months). However, my last experience when buying a Vox directly from Kobo was horrific. I swore to never buy a Kobo again, but as far as I can tell it is the only other lighted option for epubs other than the Nook.

If amazon would let Kindles read epubs I'd be set, but I'm not converting thousands of books.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Many of these independent bookstores in the US will have the Glo. The Aura can only be bought online from Kobo.com.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Many of these independent bookstores in the US will have the Glo. The Aura can only be bought online from Kobo.com.
I got excited for a minute, as there are two of these stores in my state. But both are 400+ miles away. Oddly I live in what is by far the biggest city in the entire state.

But thanks for the info!
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post
Hello all.

I know ima little late in this discussion but to me to Glo model (the one I use) win by a very large gap.

55 hours of use for the Glo vs 28 hours for the Aura. This alone is a deal breaker because I use my Glo on hiking / backpacking trips and the Glo has twice (twice) the battery life of the Aura. Moreover, the Glo is significantly lighter.

I think the the Glo, the first front light model from Kobo, will always be the best model. Buy em while they last. Next year, Kobo will offer a bigger processor (eating battery), even better definition (eating battery), better OS and features and a full browser (eating battery), better whatever we dont need or use (eating battery), ...etc.

So, the leanest, lightest, most battery effective model is the Glo. From now on, Kobo models will only go downhill and will become huge battery sucking squids with ads all over the place like a blinking pizza.

Get a Kobo Glo.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the Aura is only 28 hours? Do you have one or are you just going by official specs? Because I don't think the Glo is rated for 55 hours so if they're understating the Glo battery capacity then they're probably also understating the Aura capacity.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Is there a place to buy a Kobo in the US other than directly from Kobo? I'm interested in trying a Glo or Aura as my Nook Glowlight is having recurrent problems with the screen (on my second replacement in as many months). However, my last experience when buying a Vox directly from Kobo was horrific. I swore to never buy a Kobo again, but as far as I can tell it is the only other lighted option for epubs other than the Nook.

If amazon would let Kindles read epubs I'd be set, but I'm not converting thousands of books.
I bought my Kobo Glo this month from Powells.com. The free shipping takes at least a week, but other than that, I was satisfied with my purchasing experience.

And I LOVE my Glo!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the Aura is only 28 hours? Do you have one or are you just going by official specs? Because I don't think the Glo is rated for 55 hours so if they're understating the Glo battery capacity then they're probably also understating the Aura capacity.
Readerrocket.com claims Glo 55 hours vs Aura 28 hours. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #24
Stahlratte
Stahlratte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post
Hello all.

Get a Kobo Glo.
I completely agree. Kobo Glo gets the job done, period. You can always search for something A LITTLE BIT better, but what's the point? The size is perfect, ComfortLight technology lets you read in any environment, all necessary ebook functions are there, you can just focus on the book contents and extending your library, and Kobo Glo wouldn't disappoint you in any way. Budget, minimalistic, perfect.

If you have found an ideal partner that satisfies you on many levels and makes you happy, what's the point of keeping looking for "someone better"?

The bottom line is, if you need an ebook reader for reading and not just for the sake of getting the latest device, both Glo and Aura will do the job. I just don't see any additional value in spending an extra bucks for Aura - I'll rather buy a couple of additional books for my library.

The only direction the existing [e-ink with front light] technology can and will be developing is adding more fuctions, more features, creating more sophisticated and power-consuming devices, and eventually merging ebooks ereaders with tablet PCs. There is no other option. The same has already happened with pretty much any digital device so far. Kobo will be launching new devices each year (announcing them at Computex expo in summer and then officially launching in the fall), trying to show it's something revolutionary and one-of-a-kind, but in reality it's just borrowing functions and ideas from other computer-related areas in order to keep the stock market development stable and shareholders happy.

If you really see an additional value in Aura, then get it. If you own a Kindle ebook reader and got stuck with its limitations (incl. DRM protection and Amazon store), then get rid of it ASAP and buy yourself either Kobo Glo or Aura, while they are still out there. But if you think that even Aura does not fulfill your needs, then you are not after an ebook reader for reading purposes; you should get yourself a tablet PC and start playing Angry Birds instead.
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #25
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlratte View Post
If you own a Kindle ebook reader and got stuck with its limitations (incl. DRM protection and Amazon store), then get rid of it ASAP and buy yourself either Kobo Glo or Aura, while they are still out there.
Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. There are other shops that sell Kindle ebooks, and besides, if shopping in what is generally the biggest, best and most competitively priced bookstore available is a limitation, poor Amazon users indeed!

There is a reason why Kindle sales are so high and the Paperwhite is generally regarded as one of the best ereaders available. Neither the Glo nor the Aura are an improvement on the latest Paperwhite, they are good, viable alternatives, but that is all.

If you have a problem with Amazon, then sure, buy something else.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #26
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post

There is a reason why Kindle sales are so high and the Paperwhite is generally regarded as one of the best ereaders available. Neither the Glo nor the Aura are an improvement on the latest Paperwhite, they are good, viable alternatives, but that is all.

If you have a problem with Amazon, then sure, buy something else.
The reason is because it's sold by Amazon.
Also the Aura doesn't have a recessed screen. That's huge for me. On the other hand, I hear that Kindle's dictionary is pretty good.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, if someone dislikes Amazon or has a desire not to do business with a particular company, that's their choice, it's hardly a valid reason to tell people to get rid of their Kindle and buy something else though, is it?

That apart, there are good and bad points about all available ereaders, but supposed "limitations" of the Kindle compared to any other ereader seems to be a bit of myth... often peddled by people who have some kind of dislike for Amazon.

Personally, I was very, very tempted by the Aura when I upgraded from my Kindle Keyboard, the fact that the light on the Aura is better than the Glo (IMHO), meant it was a straight choice between the Aura and the Paperwhite, and I only opted for the latter because for me personally, the PW just edged the Aura in pros, but it was a very close battle....
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #28
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlratte View Post
I completely agree. Kobo Glo gets the job done, period. You can always search for something A LITTLE BIT better, but what's the point
This is a ten month old thread from before the release of the Aura, everything before that post is referring to the Aura HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
There is a reason why Kindle sales are so high
It's got nothing to do with Amazon only offering books in Kindle format so anyone who are previously bought a kindle has to continue buying kindles in order to use their books purchased from Amazon?

Unless the Kindle is substantially better then I'd avoid it. It might be a bit better now yes, but there's no guarantee it'll still be top quality in future and it's not worth getting locked in.

Yes, you can hack the DRM and keep local copies of your eBooks in case amazon closes your account for doing it, but I'd go for a company trying to provide the best user experience over slightly better hardware any day.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #29
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

The fact is, most people who buy a particular brand of ereader tend to stick with that brand. Besides, if you've bought a Kobo Aura HD, you are as locked in to having to stick with epub stores and therefore locking yourself out of what is one of the best bookstores available - if that's not an issue for you, why would you think it's an issue for me on the other side of that? (Which I'm not since I own a Sony and buy my books from whichever store I feel like regardless of that).

As for there being no guarantee the Kindle will still be top quality in future, I'd think buying a device from Amazon over just about any other gives you more guarantee of that.

And regards DRM. See how you feel about your ebooks still with their DRM when you find yourself in the position of having a hard drive failure on your computer, or buying a new PC, and because you already have Adobe registered on a few other devices you hit some hassles because you've ran out of Adobe registrations and can't read your ebooks.

If you are happy to think Amazon goes around closing accounts for no reason, removing books from your ereader, etc, that's up to you.....

I prefer to choose my ereader for its merits, immaterial of who sells it. And the best user experience (which includes a high level of customer support) is one of those merits that led me towards picking the Kindle PW over the Kobo Aura.

I am sure if I had opted for the Aura I'd have been pretty happy with it, although if Sony had give the T3 a built-in light, I'd probably have went for it over both the PW and the Aura..... poor me, I went for the PW and now I'm locked in and limited.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-18-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #30
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
For those of you with both the Glo and the Aura: Is the least bright light setting on the Aura just as bright as on the Glo? I love my Glo, but I do wish it could be a little less bright (especially when I have a migraine. Ouch.).
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote