Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I want KOBO

So I'm fed up with my Sony PRS 500. I heard KOBO readers are the best. I would want to buy a reader which would show PDF that has text that is not OCRed in other words a photography (text that is a photograph). Do all KOBO readers display it without problems? And it's strange they're just called KOBO touch or KOBO Aura but there is no model numbers. Are all KOBO touch the same?
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Well, there are model numbers, but they aren't important. Kobo is only selling one device by that name at a time. And the only model that has had multiple versions is the Touch. The current version has been out for nearly two years, so you shouldn't be able to find the older ones new. If you want a Kobo device, would out which one you want based on the specs and playing with it and buy that.

But, get a tablet. For your use an e-ink screen is unlikely to be good. A larger tablet screen with good PDF software will be much better.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Yes seriously use a large tablet. Eink readers are terrible for pdfs. When I want to view a pdf I use either my laptop or my ipad.

If you insist on it having the kobo brand, try the Kobo Arc 10HD. That is a tablet and should be large enough to view pdfs without having to constantly resize.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok thanks for the help. I guess my post was made little bit on momenteraly frustration. I OCRed the text and formatted it better so it'll work on PRS 500.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Depends on what you define as the best. Kobo does have its problems so it depends on what you are interested in.

There are several Kobo's and therefore a bit of decisions to make, you need to do a lot of analysis to ensure that you get the right one for you. Amazon has three different models: basic, Paperwhite and Paperwhite 3G. A lot less decisions to make.

Kobo has a very well designed book store and has comics and free books right up front at the top of the book store. With Amazon the comics and free books are there but you need to do a bit of diging to get to them.

Amazon has a nasty habit of selling ebooks for less then anyone else. Kobo's book prices are very good however amazon tends to under cut their competition's prices.

Kobo tends to update their products more frequently then amazon does, which does so once a year near christmas time.

Amazon has a lot of original content that you will not find anywhere else. Author's that have self-published their books with Amazon.

So the answer to your statement about Kobo being the best depends on what is important to you. There are advantages to Kobo there are downsides.

There is no one best reader, there is only right for you and that depends on what is imporatant to you.

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-07-2014 at 08:46 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo certainly has many more option when it comes to text adjustment choices but september is usually the time when new readers are announced so maybe it could be a good idea to wait and see what shows up.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Amazon will come out with a new model around the pre-christmas buying season, perhaps Kobo will as well. I recommend that you compare the new Kindle models to the new Kobo models. I am not attempting to get you to forget your idea of buying a Kobo, its just that Amazon and Kobo are the two major ereaders these days and are the ones to compare to decide which is best for you. There is no one best reader, there is only the best for you.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
prom king
Sloshed

Well yeah I was watching videos on youtube "kobo vs kindle" and kobo does seem to be better. Although prs-500 still serves me pretty good and like I said I would be more interested which one shows photo PDF text the best.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by prom king View Post
Well yeah I was watching videos on youtube "kobo vs kindle" and kobo does seem to be better.
In what way? I've owned and used multiple kindle and kobo devices and to say that one is simply better than the other is overly simplistic. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
In what way? I've owned and used multiple kindle and kobo devices and to say that one is simply better than the other is overly simplistic. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Absolutely. What is better for one user might be less important to another.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote