Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Question about folders

The NST is the reader I prefer right now w.r.t. to the others I have.
One small thing bothers me. Why does it have to use collections ?
What is hindering the use of real folders, instead of this subterfuge (the collections I mean), which must even be more costly in terms of computing performance.
And we would avoid the ****** problems with the SD. Hopefully.
NST has Android inside. How easy or difficult is it to make workable folders ?
Anybody got an idea ?

P.S. Of course I do know we do not develop the SW for the device. Maybe this could become good for a push in the right direction ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Maybe I'm missing something important, but I've been using folders on my NST without any problems.

When I bought the NST, I just copied my entire library from my tablet to an SD card, put it in the NST and started reading.
My library is organized as top-level folders for each category (Fiction, Humor, Science Fiction, etc.),
with second-level subfolders for each author and third-level subfolders for each book.

To find a book, I go to the NST Library, select "My Files" and "Memory Card" and navigate to the desired folder.
I haven't ever used the "Shelves" (collections?).
Using folders on the SD card just seemed like the easiest way to organize my ebooks.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what's meant by "collections".

Regards,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
To use folders on Nook Touch all you need is to is select My files in the library. You will just loose the ability to see covers.

Its very easy to root nook touch and I personally prefer to use coolreader for reading on it as it supports multiple formats and a lot of customizations plus it shows covers as well unlike the nook touch library app. Chech the xda forums for how to go about it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
To use folders on Nook Touch all you need is to is select My files in the library. You will just loose the ability to see covers.

Its very easy to root nook touch and I personally prefer to use coolreader for reading on it as it supports multiple formats and a lot of customizations plus it shows covers as well unlike the nook touch library app. Chech the xda forums for how to go about it.
You are right I did not explain myself very well, I probably just hinted at what I was pointing at. I mean the use of folders in place of the collections.
I find these quite limited. I would dearly like not to see collections but just folders. You are quite right that I could use these folders and the file system to navigate, although there are limitations, such as not being able to see the covers. It is really just a file system navigator. So both features are limited, according to me, a mixture of both would be nice, a library system geared toward navigating folders instead of collections. Did I make myself clear, this time ?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, though,
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
Maybe I'm missing something important, but I've been using folders on my NST without any problems.

When I bought the NST, I just copied my entire library from my tablet to an SD card, put it in the NST and started reading.
My library is organized as top-level folders for each category (Fiction, Humor, Science Fiction, etc.),
with second-level subfolders for each author and third-level subfolders for each book.

To find a book, I go to the NST Library, select "My Files" and "Memory Card" and navigate to the desired folder.
I haven't ever used the "Shelves" (collections?).
Using folders on the SD card just seemed like the easiest way to organize my ebooks.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what's meant by "collections".

Regards,
Eric
I am getting confused, having a Kindle a nook. Yes I meant shelves. Thanks for your answer.