Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Unhappy Edge Reboot Loop

Well, I was one of the folks who opted for the $80 Pocket Edge on Woot. After updating to Ermine, I have been in heaven. This device is seriously my dream device, minus the fact that it could be a little faster and a little more stable.

Unfortunately, today, I plugged my edge into my mac to attempt to authorize it with Adobe. It crashed. On restart, it went into a reboot loop. I used the reset button in hopes that after coming back up, it would start successfully, but without luck. It went back to the reboot loop.

I attempted to reflash Ermine, and it seemed to take, as it showed the upgrade screen, but afterwards, it continued to do the infinite reboot.

I can't find downloads of Dingo anywhere since the links all point to the down Entourage site. Most of the un-bricking threads seem to point to Dingo, or to threads that no longer exist because the Entourage site is down.

Halp?

Last edited by nikkie; 09-29-2011 at 03:56 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
inbred.farmer
inbred.farmer began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Hello. I had a hard time finding an update to Dingo that would work for me after I had updated to ermine. Apparently many of the "golden" updates that are around on the web have some sort of check in them that kicked me out of the update process for whatever reason. Eventually I figured out how to remove it, but afterwards I found this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143035

The second post has a link to the modified golden update to Dingo that should work for you. Remember, if it is working it will get stuck on the updating screen forever until you force reset. This is because it has to be run twice in order for the golden part to finish due to some crazy CRC checking that I only pretend to understand. The "official" procedure is to use the update.zip updating process as per usual and let it sit on the updating tablet screen for about 10 minutes and then hit the reset button. After that, boot it as if you're doing yet another update.zip update while leaving the USB drive in the PE (or sdcard if that is what you're using) and it should go through another update that shouldn't get stuck forever this time. Eventually it will reboot and should at this point be 100% reflashed with Dingo 1.13 I think but it might be 1.11 or something which shouldn't really matter.

If the issue your PE is having is software based, this should fix the issue. If it is hardware based, it actually still has a chance of solving the issue but probably won't. I have read about a small number of people having more hardware issues in ermine for whatever reason probably due to the hardware itself being just barely good enough to run the older version of android or whatever. Just some stuff that probably SHOULDN'T happen but might. Good luck!

I am also pretty sure that the sticky thread for resources for the eDGe in this forum has more than one link for the Dingo golden update that aren't related to the old websites. Unfortunately for me, those versions didn't work as they were supposed to for my PE and I need to remove the version check to get it to flash. Feel free to try either version and I hope your issue is just some random software problem so you can get back to using your machine! I liked my woot PE so much I went ahead and bought another one even though that is mostly useless but I'm a weirdo what can I say.
inbred.farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Yeah, I finally found and downloaded the dingo in the last post of that thread. I've flashed it, and while it is no longer stuck in a reset loop, it has interesting new symptoms:

1) LCD side is inverted. Not upside-down, or rotated, but inverted. WTF.
2) Machine never gets past 3 dots in the boot phase.

Sigh. I did think from the comments on Woot that this thing would at least *work*. I had the bad experience of buying the damn iRex device (for full price!) that broke shortly after they went under, but I thought that this one would be okay since it has an active community and runs Android. Oh well, this time only wasted $80.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
inbred.farmer
inbred.farmer began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Well, that seems weird. Are you sure you used the PE update.zip and not the EE update.zip? I saw a thread earlier where somebody used the EE update on their PE and it did bad things to the machine.

Did you do the whole golden update process with forcing a shutdown after 10 minutes or so and updating again? Sorry if these questions are things you've already tried. I was so close to giving up with my PE last week that I even took the damn thing apart trying to figure out a way to force a factory reset. Turns out there isn't anything inside that will do that, but I did end up breaking the little plastic nub off my power button so now that doesn't work right. Good thing I already didn't care about the machine because I just assumed it was a brick at the time.

Now I have a working PE with a custom power button (yay 1 of a kind) that I soldered onto the board after breaking the old one off. It mostly works like it should. In other words, try not to give up on the thing until you have to. Maybe you can figure out how to make it work somehow? Let me know if you want to keep trying to fix it and I'll see if I can think of anything else to help! Maybe other members of the forum can figure it out.
inbred.farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Yeah, I finally found and downloaded the dingo in the last post of that thread. I've flashed it, and while it is no longer stuck in a reset loop, it has interesting new symptoms:

1) LCD side is inverted. Not upside-down, or rotated, but inverted. WTF.
2) Machine never gets past 3 dots in the boot phase.

Sigh. I did think from the comments on Woot that this thing would at least *work*. I had the bad experience of buying the damn iRex device (for full price!) that broke shortly after they went under, but I thought that this one would be okay since it has an active community and runs Android. Oh well, this time only wasted $80.

I notice you already list 2 broken devices under your Avatar. Let's not make it a third. Don't give up, try it again. I know you can get it to work. I have attached the official procedure from Entourage which should help.

You can choose to use the Dingo file you already have (which should be fine unless it got corrupted during download) or you can download new ones. That's your choice.

Here is a download to the original Dingo (1.13) build: http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourag...ate.golden.zip

Dingo 1.6 is an update to Dingo 1.13. Here is a download link to update the original Dingo build: http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourag...Dge/update.zip
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Revert from Ermine (Froyo) back to Dingo.pdf (8.9 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-29-2011 at 01:34 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
SHELLVVS
SHELLVVS began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I have been experiencing the same problem I found the links to revert to Dingo using this link http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourag...Pocket%20eDge/ and using the one entitled "update.zip". I have tried repeatedky to upgrade to the Ermine and get stuck in the reboot limbo as well. Have tried every step that has been suggested so far with no luck. If anyone can give the EXACT link to the working file for Ermine, as well as EXACT clear instructions on what works, would be greatly appreciated
SHELLVVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHELLVVS View Post
I have been experiencing the same problem I found the links to revert to Dingo using this link http://www.ethanphoenix.com/entourag...Pocket%20eDge/ and using the one entitled "update.zip". I have tried repeatedky to upgrade to the Ermine and get stuck in the reboot limbo as well. Have tried every step that has been suggested so far with no luck. If anyone can give the EXACT link to the working file for Ermine, as well as EXACT clear instructions on what works, would be greatly appreciated

You need to download the golden.update.zip FIRST and then follow the instructions in the PDF attached to post # 5. This should restore the Pocket Edge to the original operating system it shipped with.

After the original operating system is restored, the file you have then updates that to Dingo 1.6.

Search the forum or take a look at my Resource Sticky at the top of the forum for more information concerning upgrades.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132878

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
nikkie
Guru

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Obsessed2, this is actually my second broken device, the first was the iRex, which is only broken in that it has no 3G and there's a spot on the screen.

I've tried to reflash several more times, once with each of the zip files mentioned, but had no luck. The device no longer goes to the "updating" screen, which indicates that it is trying to apply the firmware. Instead, it displays the inverted logo, goes from one to three dots, and then e-Ink side flashes for about 30 seconds, before switching to the Initializing screen. The LCD side continues in the inverted state, as shown in the picture below. Any more ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	77272  
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Obsessed2, this is actually my second broken device, the first was the iRex, which is only broken in that it has no 3G and there's a spot on the screen.

I've tried to reflash several more times, once with each of the zip files mentioned, but had no luck. The device no longer goes to the "updating" screen, which indicates that it is trying to apply the firmware. Instead, it displays the inverted logo, goes from one to three dots, and then e-Ink side flashes for about 30 seconds, before switching to the Initializing screen. The LCD side continues in the inverted state, as shown in the picture below. Any more ideas?

Under your Avatar you have a broken iPhone and a broken iRex. As far as trying to reflash. Did you try both a USB drive and a microSD card? Some users have reported difficulties getting the eDGe to recognize the USB, but had succes with the SD card.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Nikkie, a couple of questions.

What did you use to update to ermine - USB stick, SD card and did you use the same device to try and revert back using the golden update?

Are you sure you used the golden update for the PE and not the one for the EE. Someone in another thread has the same results as you by using the EE golden update on a PE.

The golden update for the EE that I have has a size of 226,523,306 which I think is different to the PE one.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
nikkie
Guru

Obsessed2, the iPhone is not broken, I think you are misunderstanding my use of commas and parentheses. The Pocket Edge and the iRex are considered broken. In any case, yes, I have tried both USB and microSD card. No luck with either.

ivanjt, I've checked mine, and they all (I now have 3) are for the Pocket Edge. (OSX stores the download location, so I'm able to verify it.) Out of curiosity, did the other person get his fixed? I haven't found that post yet.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Obsessed2, the iPhone is not broken, I think you are misunderstanding my use of commas and parentheses. The Pocket Edge and the iRex are considered broken. In any case, yes, I have tried both USB and microSD card. No luck with either.

ivanjt, I've checked mine, and they all (I now have 3) are for the Pocket Edge. (OSX stores the download location, so I'm able to verify it.) Out of curiosity, did the other person get his fixed? I haven't found that post yet.
Your right. I guess I don't know my commas and parentheses from a hole in the ground.

The PE update file is 140 MB. I sure hope you can get it to work.

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-05-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
nikkie
Guru

Yeah, based on some other threads, I guess I'll just keep trying. I know I am doing it right, because I succeeded in updating the device to Ermine once already with the same microSD card, etc. Here's hoping it magically starts working.

I've thought about taking it apart to see if something is physically wrong with the menu/rotate buttons, but it seems I do not have an appropriately sized screwdriver for the job, which is a bummer.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #14
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Try a procedure described by EnvO

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145540

post #62.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
nikkie
Guru

Excellent, I hadn't seen that. I will procure a rs232 cable, usb to rs232 cable, and try it out this weekend. Woo!