Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
New Kindle 2 Owner :)

I bought a Kindle 2 International version for hubby but as he only reads for an hour at night, it's all mine for the rest of the time

Initial impressions: well it's certainly the ugly duckling of all my devices! I'm not keen on the white plastic or the design looks-wise but it looks pretty nice enclosed in the tuff-luv flip style case I got for it. With that on it manages to look quite stylish.

Best points:

- Picture display is gorgeous - the nicest I've seen on an e-ink display.
- Love being able to shop for and download books in an instant, whole process works very fast.
- Annotation features I prefer on here with the physical keys rather than the Sony touchscreen which I've never been a huge fan of. I find the kindle keyboard on the kindle so much easier to use
- It all works very fast, fast to load-up and fast moving back and forth between books
- I like the fact that next page buttons are on either side so I can use either thumb
- Excellent search functionality, not just being able to search inside 1 but all your books!
- Text to speech will come in very useful when I have my hands full - the male voice is not bad at all.

The not-so-good:

- Clicky buttons - not as audible as on my PB 360 but not as silent as the Sony 600 buttons
- Heavy and large - can't have it all can we. I like the keyboard but it adds lots of extra real estate. Not a device I'll take on short trips or out with me daily like the PB that's for sure.
- Not having folders for organisation. I like to dump my Calibre library onto my PB, shame you can't do that on the Kindle.

Overall very pleased - I'll certainly be using this for annotation purposes rather than any other device. And also for those impulse Amazon purchases.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote