Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #31
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Thanks for that
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #32
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Delphin. I've just downloaded the annotated version, and will give it a try.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #33
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Delphin. I've just downloaded the annotated version, and will give it a try.

Regards, Alex
Alex,

if you are looking for a nice fast, relatively compact King James Version EPUB Bible, I did a nice Sigil edit and conversion of the KJV HTML version kindly made available in this thread by Sherman.

The version I created was based on his original HTML, as the EPUB version had been mangled pretty badly in the conversion process (by Calibre, it would appear).

The original v3 EPUB file was slow, and had a tenancy to crash a few of the EPUB readers I tried including FBreader and my Sony PRS-650. FBreader on my PC would almost never load the v3 file at all, and on the PRS-650, although it would load, and basic navigation worked, it was quite slow and searches often crashed the reader requiring a hard reset.

My version 4 EPUB file was created from the HTML using Sigil and was manually split instead of automatically split as it normally is in Calibre. As a result, my version uses a much more reasonable File split size. The readers seem to like this MUCH better, because my new version runs orders of magnitude faster, with no crashes so far. (Inside the EPUB the full text is split into less than 80 segments in my version, vs. over 1200 in the previous v3 EPUB file)

Here is the link to the new edited Sigil version 4c KJV EPUB file that I just uploaded if you want to check it out -

Bible - King James Version v4c.epub

Edit:
Note, the previously posted version "v4" and v4a from feb 8 had problems in the books of Lamentations and Acts, the above linked version "v4b" should be ok, but if you find something else, let me know.

Last edited by delphin; 02-13-2011 at 12:19 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #34
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edited by delphin; 02-13-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #35
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Alex,

if you are looking for a nice fast, relatively compact King James Version EPUB Bible, I did a nice Sigil edit and conversion of the KJV HTML version kindly made available in this thread by Sherman.
Thanks Delphin, I appreciate the trouble you've taken, but I prefer a more recent version than the KVJ

Regards,
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #36
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks Delphin, I appreciate the trouble you've taken, but I prefer a more recent version than the KVJ

Regards,
I also find that I prefer the newer translations when reading some of the old testament historical verses, because in these situations the old english in KJV can make it a little more difficult to follow.

But for the Psalms, and most of the parables in the new testament, I prefer the majestic language and poetry of the KJV.

Last edited by delphin; 02-11-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Edited to remove off topic comments . . .
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
thisaintmyhome
thisaintmyhome began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader

Last edited by thisaintmyhome; 02-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.
thisaintmyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #38
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

Regards, Alex
I've struggled with the annotated version of the NET Bible for a couple of days, and am about to delete it. The links from and to the annotations work very well, but the only table of contents that I can find comes from my Sony PRS 650, and not from the text. That is, page 1 is the title page, and page 2 is Genesis 1:1 et seq. So to get to Exodus I'd have to page right through Genesis.

Even when I use the Sony generated TOC there is nothing to help me find a chapter. So to read Psalm 149 I'd either have to page right through Psalms or back from Proverbs.

Not good enough.

Regards, Alex
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #39
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
NET Bible (with 4-level TOC)

Hi everyone,

I made this a while ago and sent it to the bible.org website, but it hasn't been posted there to my knowledge. So I thought I would post it here. (This is the version of the NET Bible without the notes, which is free, so I assume it is OK to post. If not, let me know and I will take it down.)

This version has a 4-level Table of Contents. You can jump to the book, major section, chapter or minor section quite easily. (Note that only Job and Psalms have major sections.)

I hope you find it easy to use!

Sincerely,
Ben.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Various - NET Bible.epub (1.65 MB, 160 views)
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #40
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Hi everyone,

I made this a while ago and sent it to the bible.org website, but it hasn't been posted there to my knowledge. So I thought I would post it here. (This is the version of the NET Bible without the notes, which is free, so I assume it is OK to post. If not, let me know and I will take it down.)

This version has a 4-level Table of Contents. You can jump to the book, major section, chapter or minor section quite easily. (Note that only Job and Psalms have major sections.)

I hope you find it easy to use!

Sincerely,
Ben.
I think they did post your version.

See my earlier post in this thread, where I posted this link

ftp://ftp.bible.org/netbible/epub/NE...oteless_4.epub

Thank you for creating this, it's really nice work.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #41
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
I've struggled with the annotated version of the NET Bible for a couple of days, and am about to delete it. The links from and to the annotations work very well, but the only table of contents that I can find comes from my Sony PRS 650, and not from the text. That is, page 1 is the title page, and page 2 is Genesis 1:1 et seq. So to get to Exodus I'd have to page right through Genesis.

Even when I use the Sony generated TOC there is nothing to help me find a chapter. So to read Psalm 149 I'd either have to page right through Psalms or back from Proverbs.

Not good enough.

Regards, Alex
Sorry, I should have mentioned that currently with the NET Bible, you can have EITHER the noteless version with a nice 4 level Table Of Contents -OR- the fully annotated version, but this version only has a single level TOC that is only indexed by the main books of the Bible.

So currently it looks like you can have a 4 level TOC, or the Annotations, but not both.

So far as I know, neither version has a dedicated readable TOC. The authors of the EPUB version, like many other EPUBs , are assuming that your EPUB READER will provide a TOC feature.

Assuming we can find a fully annotated version of the NET Bible with the full 4 level TOC, what's wrong with just bringing up the Sony's built in TOC (as opposed to a dedicated TOC page in the book)?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #42
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
Sorry, I should have mentioned that currently with the NET Bible, you can have EITHER the noteless version with a nice 4 level Table Of Contents -OR- the fully annotated version, but this version only has a single level TOC that is only indexed by the main books of the Bible.

So currently it looks like you can have a 4 level TOC, or the Annotations, but not both.

So far as I know, neither version has a dedicated readable TOC. The authors of the EPUB version, like many other EPUBs , are assuming that your EPUB READER will provide a TOC feature.

Assuming we can find a fully annotated version of the NET Bible with the full 4 level TOC, what's wrong with just bringing up the Sony's built in TOC (as opposed to a dedicated TOC page in the book)?
Because my Sony TOC only gives me a one level TOC - ie a list of the books.

So as I said in my earlier post if I wanted to read Psalm 149 I'd either have to page forward from Psalm 1 or page back from Proverbs.

Regards, Alex
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #43
delphin
Evangelist

Quote:
Because my Sony TOC only gives me a one level TOC - ie a list of the books.

So as I said in my earlier post if I wanted to read Psalm 149 I'd either have to page forward from Psalm 1 or page back from Proverbs.

Regards, Alex
Alex,
I do see your point - The annotated version does only have a single level TOC, but you picked a rather poor example. (Psalms is subdivided into 5 sections, I suspect for the exact reason you mentioned).

If I am doing casual study, I generally use the non-annotated version with the full 4 level TOC, then shift to the annotated version to check footnotes if I find something I want to research.

ftp://ftp.bible.org/netbible/epub/NE...oteless_4.epub

I'll warn you in advance, this version isn't perfect either. Not all the TOC entries need all 4 levels, but they are there on the PRS-650's TOC screen, so a lot of the time you end up hitting a key that opens another level in the TOC only to find that you have to just hit it AGAIN (because there is another un-needed level with the same option repeated).

Despite this, the 4 level TOC version let's you get where you are going fairly quickly.

Even with the more limited single level TOC in the annotated version, I can also usually find what I am looking for pretty quickly.

That's because, when you actually spend some time USING this Bible (as opposed to 'auditioning' it) you quickly figure out a few tricks.

For example, using the 'search' feature of your PRS-650, you can quickly jump not only to any specific chapter, but right directly to any specific verse.

For example lets suppose you want to find Psalm 147:3

First - hit the 'OPTIONS' > GOTO > Table of Contents, and select the book of the Bible you want (in this case the first Psalms section is fine)

Then to jump right to the specific verse, use 'OPTIONS' key again, this time choosing > search. When the search keyboard comes up, hit the "123" shift key to shift to numeric entry, and just type in the chapter and verse in the standard nnn:nn form (Looking for the colon? it's above the '<--' backspace key), and then hit the 'search' button.

So almost by divine providence, it turns out that the PRS-650's search feature is very nicely laid out for bible verse searches, because ALL the keys you need for the standard chapter:verse notation are nicely grouped together.

The search time varies, depending on how far forward the chapter and verse you are searching for is located, but it usually runs only a few seconds and almost never takes more than 10 or 20 seconds, which although not quite as fast as the TOC, does have the advantage of jumping right to a specific verse.

I agree that having to use the TOC first to get to the right book of the Bible, and then the SEARCH to get to the chapter and verse, is a bit awkward, but it's still a lot faster than I can typically find the same verse in a paper Bible.

If this doesn't completely 'heal your broken heart' (Psalm 147:3) then I hope it at least eases your disappointment.

Last edited by delphin; 02-13-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #44
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

NET Bible (with notes and a 4-level TOC)

Hi everyone,

Well, since there appeared to be a demand for it, I figured it was worth my time to convert the NET Bible (with notes) so that it has a 4-level TOC.

I did a lot of regular expression search and replace using Komodo Edit because, unlike Notepad++, it has non-greedy and multi-line regular expressions. Then I loaded the result into Sigil to generate the TOC automatically. Finally, I had to go through the TOC file to get rid of unwanted numbers that were left in those entries that had footnotes.

I am assuming that errors remain, but from a cursory check it looks pretty good to me. It is certainly easier to move around!

I have sent the resulting file to bible.org, so presumably they will put it on their ftp site eventually. But until then, here it is for mobileread users!

Sincerely,
Ben.

P.S. I am sorry if the 4th level (which only appears in Job and Psalms) annoys people because it means you need to do a few extra clicks. But I don't find it a problem on my Sony PRS-600. It is certainly easier than paging through from a different book or doing a search for a specific chapter number!

UPDATE:
After trying out this NET Bible (with notes and a 4-level TOC), I discovered that my conversion process had stripped a lot of the special html code that displayed the Greek and Hebrew as well as removing the embedded fonts. So I had another go, this time doing a lot of the TOC creation manually. (Actually, I had to write a VB.Net program to add the id information to the headings so I could use the automatically Sigil-generated TOC.ncx file.) It now appears to work perfectly. All the fonts are embedded and display correctly on my PRS-600.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Various - NET Bible (with notes).epub (6.96 MB, 364 views)

Last edited by BenChen; 02-13-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Attachment updated - fonts embedded correctly
Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #45
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Just noticed that the fonts are not embedded correctly, so the Greek (and I presume the Hebrew) in the notes is not being displayed correctly on my PRS-600. I will update the link once I've fixed it.