Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Number of visitors in Amazon product page

I apologize in advance but I didn't find a better forum to start this thread. Maybe there is a need for a more business oriented forum.

Now that my ePub/Mobi/KF8 design flow works (more or less) correctly (with the help of this site), the next step is to be able to measure my progress and see if I am in good track to achieve my business objectives.

One key indicator is the monthly number of visitors to the amazon product page of my ebooks. Amazon doesn't provide this information and I understand why.

Do you know of something else a la Google Analytics that can do the job?
We give the tool the url, it returns the data (Google knows this data).

Thanks and sorry again. If another forum is more appropriate, please move this thread.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
We give the tool the url, it returns the data (Google knows this data).
How does Google know the data?

They can know how many people click through from Google search result to the page in question. But they can't look over the shoulder of every user in the world and keep track of every URL they visit.

And, even if they could, why would they want to give you that information?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
abeonis
eBook DIYer

I was citing an example. Google stuff is secundary. Is there something that does that or not?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
I was citing an example. Google stuff is secundary. Is there something that does that or not?
Not without code of some sort embedded on the website in question (in this case a portion of Amazon's website that you have zero control over) to report the statistics to a central database.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
abeonis
eBook DIYer

"They can know how many people click through from Google search result to the page in question."

This is the data I want. You can call these people your visitors. This number will not include people doing a search in Amazon, I know. I don´t care if the instrument is not accurate as far as I use the same instrument to measure. I need to obtain ratios or trends to say if I am doing a good promotional job or not outside of Amazon.

"But they can't look over the shoulder of every user in the world and keep track of every URL they visit".

They do. It is called Google Analytics.

"And, even if they could, why would they want to give you that information?"

Money?

But again I don't want to enter into a philosofical debate. If there is no way then I will do without it.
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Thanks DiapDealer, the code you mention is the one you put in any page you can edit. It is used by Googl Analytics. This is not the case with your Amazon page. This is the reason why I ask in this forum. Some of you have been publishing for a while now and I had to try. Just in case.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:

"But they can't look over the shoulder of every user in the world and keep track of every URL they visit".

They do. It is called Google Analytics.
Sorry, but Google Analytics doesn't work that way. It only gathers data from the sites on which it is installed. And it only reports the data to the site owners.

It's tempting to think that Google is all-powerful, but, in this case, it simply has no way of obtaining the figures you want.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Thanks DiapDealer, the code you mention is the one you put in any page you can edit. It is used by Googl Analytics. This is not the case with your Amazon page.
Yes. That code you "put in any page you can edit" is what allows it all to work. Not being able to put that code on a page screws the whole pooch -- Google Analytics or otherwise.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Then no solution. Thanks. Next.