Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #1111
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Proven Guilty!!

Wow! I finished re-reading Proven Guilty yesterday. This re-read was really really really a fantastic experience! It brought tears to my eyes multiple times throughout even though I [mostly] knew the outcome of the different events! It proves to be a great book each time I read it!

Now, I'm going to give Diane Duane a try with the first in her Young Wizards series, So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition. Part of the reason I want to try it is I'm thinking of it for my Grandson (12 years old) for Christmas! He's already read all of Harry Potter (of course, so have I) so it seems like it might be a good fit for him.

Then back to the next 3 Dresden books! Name:  banane.gif
Views: 423
Size:  844 Bytes

Last edited by alansplace; 10-12-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: fix graphic
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #1112
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
After a long hiatus, I'm back to reading Dresden. Just about finished with Blood Rites and Dead Beat ready to load onto my DX. It's been kind of a crappy summer of reading. Nothing seems to hold my interest, but I buzzed through Blood Rites. Kind of forgot how good the stories are.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #1113
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool News

Quoted from http://www.jim-butcher.com/

Quote:
Oct 09, 2012

Time Magazine Asks: Who’s the Greatest Gumshoe?

Harry got an unexpected shout-out in the October 15th issue of Time Magazine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	harrytime.png
Views:	373
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	94100

------------

Oct 09, 2012

Virtual Signing goes live and Fool Moon concludes

Want a signed copy of Cold Days, but Jim won’t be touring near you this year? Dog Eared Books are running a Virtual Signing for Cold Days and the new paperback version of Ghost Story! Fans can pre-order signed, personalized copies of Jim’s books, and they’ll be shipped out soon after the release date.

Get all the details at the Dog Eared Books website! Please direct any questions to Tina [dogearedbooks at yahoo.com]. Deadline for all pre-orders is Tuesday, November 18, 2012. The ship date is expected to be, but not guaranteed to be, on or before November 29, 2012.

If you’re not interested in a signed copy, you can pre-order a regular copy through the Jim-Butcher.com store.

Additionally, the final issue of the Fool Moon graphic novel adaptation hits stores tomorrow! Check out a five-page preview at ComicBookResources.com and find a comics shop near you at ComicShopLocator.com.

------------

Oct 03, 2012

Cold Days Signing Tour

At long last, we have the details of Jim’s signing tour! We hope to see you there!

SEATTLE – TACOMA, WA
Tuesday, November 27, 7:00 PM PST
University Temple United Methodist Church
1415 NE 43rd St
Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 634-3400
*Books sold by University Bookstore

LOS ANGELES, CA
Wednesday, November 28, 6:00 PM PST
Mysterious Galaxy Redondo Beach
2810 Artesia Blvd.
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
(310) 542-6000

KANSAS CITY, MO
Thursday, November 29, 7:00 PM CST
Unity Temple on The Plaza
707 W 47th Street
Kansas City, MO 64112
*Books sold by Rainy Day Books
(913) 384-3126

CHICAGO, IL
Friday, November 30, 7:00 PM CST
Barnes & Noble #2622
55 Old Orchard Center
Skokie, IL 60077
(847) 676-2230

Jim will also be doing an AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) on Reddit‘s /r/fantasy section on November 20th. The AMA will be posted that morning, and folks will have all day to come up with questions and “upvote” the questions of others, so the best ones bubble to the top. Jim will start answering questions around 7pm or 8pm Central.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-14-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fix graphic
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #1114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was hoping for a stop in Boston.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #1115
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
...Now on to Dresden Files #8, Proven Guilty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
...Now back to The Dresden Files, White Night!...:
Well I finished up the above two (they were both FANTABULOUS!! re-reads) and am now beginning The Dresden Files #10, Small Favor. This'll leave me 3 more to re-read before D-day (Dresden-day) 2012, November 27th!
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #1116
DHNightshadow
Zealot
DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DHNightshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager
So, you all sucked me in. Did read in the last few days the first two books, and liked them very much. Have now the Side storys and Grave peril, think about to read first a other book I found in my huge tbr. You did say something about the Hollows in this thread, and tada I have the first book in calibre. Will see if it suck me in or if I read first something else, and go on to Grave peril.
Will not read the series in one go, because the last serie I did this with, I have not read the last book yet, and will not for this time.
DHNightshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #1117
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNightshadow View Post
So, you all sucked me in. Did read in the last few days the first two books, and liked them very much. Have now the Side storys and Grave peril, think about to read first a other book I found in my huge tbr. You did say something about the Hollows in this thread, and tada I have the first book in calibre. Will see if it suck me in or if I read first something else, and go on to Grave peril.
Will not read the series in one go, because the last serie I did this with, I have not read the last book yet, and will not for this time.
Welcome to the Dresdenverse!! We're sure you will enjoy your stay!

The Hollows is a very interesting series. I love not only the variety of supernatural beings (which is also one of my favorite aspects in Dresden), but also the the twists and tweaks made to the original myths (i.e. witches are not human).

I plan to reread/catchup with the series at the beginning of next year.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #1118
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNightshadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to the Dresdenverse!! We're sure you will enjoy your stay!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The Hollows is a very interesting series. I love not only the variety of supernatural beings (which is also one of my favorite aspects in Dresden), but also the the twists and tweaks made to the original myths (i.e. witches are not human)...

Last edited by alansplace; 10-17-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #1119
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Just realized that Cold Days and Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles #5) both release the same day. Reading crisis! Ack!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1120
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files Fantasy Casting: Molly Carpenter

Quoted from socyberty.com

Quote:
Dresden Files Fantasy Casting: Molly Carpenter
by Cloudx808 in Issues, October 18, 2010

If there’s a Dresden Files film or TV series, who would be a good actress to play Molly Carpenter’s role?

Molly Carpenter –the daughter of Michael Carpenter, the former teenage rebel whom Harry Dresden had saved from the Council’s death penalty, the wizard-apprentice who’s sensitive to magic, and a sexy woman who had showed interest in the protagonist. As a main character in Jim Butcher’s urban fantasy series, she has become one of the most dynamic characters in the Dresden Files. But if there were to be a film based on Butcher’s best works, who would be a great candidate for Molly Carpenter’s role?

Here are some potential actresses:

Kristen Bell

Name:	kristen-bell_1.jpg
Views:	2428
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	94338

Carey Mulligan

Name:	carrie-mulligan_1.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	94339

Alison Scagliotti

Name:	allison_1.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	94340
(picture is from Wikipedia.org)

Hayden Panettiere

Name:	hayden_1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	94341

Emma Stone

Name:	emma_1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	94342
(picture is from Wikipedia.org)

Amber Heard

Name:	amber_1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	94343

Scarlet Johansson

Name:	scarlet_1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	94344
(photo from Wikipedia.org)

Lexi Belle

Name:	lexi_1.jpg
Views:	7549
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	94345
(photo from Wikipedia.org)

Ashley Tisdale

Name:	ashley_1.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	94346

Emma Watson – Who would win in a duel? Hermione Granger or Molly Carpenter? I guess it wouldn’t matter as long as Emma Watson is there. I could definitely see Emma Watson playing the role of Molly well; She’s a great actress.

Name:	emma-watson_1.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	94347
There are a lot of potential actresses for Molly’s character, and I’m sure seeing her alive on screen would be so awesome, but for now, all the Dresden Files fans could do is dream. Hopefully in the future, the Dresden Files would be adapted into a film or a television series unlike the one Scyfy channel had (That adaptation was horrible!)
To my way of thinking, this writer missed the mark bacause in my imagination Molly C. Quin (Castle)

Name:	Molly+C.+Quinn.jpg
Views:	4112
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	94349
is Mollie and Kristen Bell is Murphy!! Oh Well!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-17-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fix graphic
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #1121
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Fan Art

Some pictures I liked (various sources).

Name:	564348_354674924569202_118927143_n.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	94330
1. The blue beetle.

Name:	39285_438176472885713_80256718_n.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	94331
2. Harry & Bob.

Name:	bca23785bb4df04b3f7b0010e8e727ce-d3j6s8b.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	94333
3. Susan.

Name:	Molly_and_Mouse_by_cjkennedy.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	94334
4. Mollie & Mouse.

Name:	White_Night_by_Shanne.jpg
Views:	1427
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	94335
5. Harry & Elaine on Thomas' boat.

Name:	Murphy_by_aliceazzo.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	94337
6. Murphy.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-17-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #1122
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm a decent ways into Turn Coat (still all audio) with just two more full books to go... Maybe I will get there before Cold Days drops

I've been mostly alternating with the Iron Druid books, which don't quite stand up to Butcher, especially for humor, but are plenty entertaining nonetheless.

I wonder, are other Dresden peoples also big Supernatural (TV series) fans? For me, all of the above scratch my horror/comedy itch, rather than fantasy, and I have a much greater appetite for horror than fantasy (which is not to say the two are totally distinct or unrelated). Iron Druid is a bit more fantastical (it's kind of a succession of WoW quests transcribed to Tempe) but Dresden is decidedly horrific, with the emphasis on vampires, demons, necromancers and other bump-going beasties.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #1123
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Just realized that Cold Days and Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles #5) both release the same day. Reading crisis! Ack!
Yeah, I realized that last week... I think I'll read Trapped first, but listen to Cold Days first... Or maybe the other way around...
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #1124
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yikes! I didn't clue in to this. I think I'll start with Trapped, as Tricked is fresher in my memory than Ghost Story. And I have a puppy crush on Oberon.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #1125
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
Yeah, I realized that last week... I think I'll read Trapped first, but listen to Cold Days first... Or maybe the other way around...
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Yikes! I didn't clue in to this. I think I'll start with Trapped, as Tricked is fresher in my memory than Ghost Story. And I have a puppy crush on Oberon.
I'll probably read Trapped first just because it's cheaper. If I can force myself to wait, I'll buy myself Cold Days for Christmas.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy