Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
New user needs help

Hello all,

Just got my iLiad yesterday and I have been reading through the threads since I ordered it. I am overwhelmed. I don't know what I am doing. Do I have to install anything? How do I know I am on the my home network?
Do I have to hack it to get the PDA application on it? Is FB reader already installed. This reader is making me feel dumber by the second. SOS

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Ellen,

It is a little overwhelming at first, isn't it, but don't worry about it - it will start to make sense.

The first thing to do is to get it talking to the iRex software delivery service (iDS). Go onto the iRex web site (www.irextechnologies.com), click the "My iRex" link, and then "Create a new iLiad User". Log onto the account that you've just created and set a sensible password.

Now, go to the "iLiad Profiles" screen on the iLiad and, on the first page, enter the e-Mail address and password that you've set up on the iRex web site. Set up a network profile (it's easiest to do it for a "Wired" network), then press and hold the top right "iDS" button on the iLiad (the circular button) and verify that the iLiad successfully connects to the iDS.

If you want to install new applications on the iLiad such as FBReader, you need to request the "Shell Access" package via the iDS. Look at the forum Wiki page and there's a link there to do that. Once you've requested it, connect to the iDS again and it'll automatically download it. That will let you install new applications on your iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry,

Thanks for responding so quicky. I will follow your directions, but already I am seeing stars. I thought I was a natural at e-books. I am humbled now. I'll be back for more help, I am so sure of that.

Ellen
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Okay, the first thing to do is calm down, and take a few deep breaths.

It's probably best to get used to the iLiad before you start with 3rd party programs. There should be quite a few documents already loaded on the iLiad. Press the Docs button. Is there a folder called "Reference"? That should contain a lot of user manuals describing the general usage and operation of it. Use the up and down arrows to move around and the circle to select. To close out of a document, press the upper left hand button (looks like stairs with an up arrow). Use the pagebar to go left and right. By default, it's probably opposit of what you expect. You can change this in the settings page.

There should be some example books shown when you press the books button. You can navigate through these the same as the software manuals.

The iLiad does have a slight learning curve. But on the same token, I'm lost when I pick up the Sony reader.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want to read books, it couldn't be easier. Just connect the iLiad to your PC via USB, and it will appear as a new "drive letter" in Windows Explorer. Open the drive and copy the book files into the "books" folder that you'll see in that drive. To open them on the iLiad, press the "Books" button below the iLiad screen, and just navigate to the book you want and open it.
Advert
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Indeed. And we are all here to help you if needed as well. Don't we guys? :-)
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector

Thanks guys,

I finally got the iliad to see my network, I installed FBreader, the PIM application. I think it threw me when I didn't see a list of applications on start up. I didn't see mobipocket listed. Anyway, I got my mobipocket books on after I spotted the PID text. So now I can read my collection of books from Fictionwise. I tried installing the Comic Strip thing, but it's not working. It justs shows a list. i am calmer now. I haven't got the Mobi Desktop to recognize the iliad. I had to wait til mobipocket was back to check my version and it is the latest. The beta wasn't available.
Thanks again for helping me when I went into panic mode.

Ellen
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
imaredr
Collector

Another update. I finally got to update my Mobireader and it recognizes my iLiad. I got the books on and I got the comic strip to work. One thing though. Why aren't the books listed when I press the books button. Is this for books that aren't mobi format?
Also can you zoom in FB reader? I am having a hard time seeing the tool bar and I would like to enlarge the comics so that I can read it.

Ellen
Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Why aren't the books listed when I press the books button. Is this for books that aren't mobi format?
Ellen
No, it just shows you the contents of whatever folder you've told the iLiad to use for books. You can change the location of your books in the iLiad Profile, but, unless you've changed it, you should see the same files that you do in the "Books" folder on the drive that appears on your PC when you connect the USB cable. By default, your MobiPocket books will be in the folder "books/MobiPocket".

What do you see when you press the "Books" button?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
imaredr
Collector

Harry,

I see nothing in that folder. I'll go to the settings and change it and see what happens. Currently I have to keep manuevering to the mobi folder to see my books. Thanks.

Ellen
Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
imaredr
Collector

Harry,
Changed my settings. Now I can see books and a folder pointing to my mobibooks.

Thanks

Ellen
Old 08-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's good. Perhaps you inadvertently changed it? Anyway, good to hear that it's OK now!