Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
myzr
myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Case suggestions: non-bulky

I'm looking for a case for my brand new PRS-350 and I'm having trouble finding exactly what I want. Maybe it just doesn't exist. But hopefully someone here has some ideas. Here's what I'm looking for:

--doesn't add much thickness to the reader(I saw in another thread the Tuff-Luv case adds a decent amount)
--protection on all sides(like the Tuff-Luv -- I don't like that Sony's case doesn't give any protection should the case open up accidentally during a fall)

So basically, I guess I'm looking for a thinner version of Tuff-Luv's case: http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Luv-Leath.../dp/B00494G76Y

I don't care too much what the material is(plastic, leather, metal, etc).

Silicone cases might work, but I don't see any that have a "flap" or something covering the screen (aside from an applied screen protector).

Thanks for any ideas. Hopefully I'm not being too picky.
myzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm in the market for a 350 case, too. This probably isn't what you are looking for, but it does offer protection on all sides, so I figured I'd link it just in case:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ionalImage1%22

It's probably a bit larger than what you are looking for, though. Happy hunting! I'm leaning towards the pink Sony case with the integrated light (at the request of my husband! At least now I will be able to stay up half the night reading ).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm going to get either one of these M-Edge cases, or one made to size from KreatedbyKim, they said this one has the most padding, but there are other styles. The M-Edge will be maybe 1/2" too large on the height, it was originally made for the 300. The KreatedbyKim bag will be custom made to fit exactly the 350, just tell them which one and give them the dimensions.

I have the lighted case by Sony which I love and use at home, but wanted a smaller one for when I take it out and don't need the light attached.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have a KreatedbyKim sleeve and it works great for me but be aware: it's bulky. It's very light because it's all fabric but because of the padding (which is necessary for protection!) it is not thin at all. Also, you take it off while you are actually reading so no protection then.

I would think something like the official iPad cover which is some kind of rubbery material, very thin, would be great for Sony but I've never seen anything like that. The case selection for Sony is pretty slim pickins.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
I've ordered one of the M Edge touring sleeves for my 350. I have one for my 900 and really like it. I first got one of the Sony pink zipper cases which I thought was for the 350 but it turned out to also be for the 650 so was WAY too big for the 350.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have the 350 case in blue & it is nice, but I too worried about it opening in a fall. So I put an attractive colored band around it (one used for pony tails). It resembles the m-edge trip jacket now. I would like m-edge to make one in the trip jacket style for the sony 350 though.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
myzr
myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myzr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thanks for the ideas. elemenoP -- i've seen somthing similar on ebay i think -- is this what you mean? http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Pocket-Edit...item1c193d3b3f Seems decent but I'm not sure about durability. It would keep it think though
myzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I ended up going for the Sony case with the built in light (in pink. I would have liked blue, but they were out of blue). I will add bulk, but I think I'll appreciate the built in light. I know I've wished for one in badly-lit buses with my 505.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I have an M-Edge case from my 300 that I use for my 350. It is the Latitude Jacket. I like the zipper around it so nothing gets on the reader while it is in my purse or briefcase, and it gives the feel of a book. It is very well padded. The 350 is small for this, but instead of buying a new case, I put a couple velcro strips on the back and on the case and it stays right in place.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I have my 350 in an M-Edge case that was built for a 300, too. I think it's likely the same one. It zips to close all the way around, yet it folds over on itself for reading - this is a combination that's rarer than it should be.

The case is loose, but the straps at the edge do still hold it somewhat. I haven't decided whether I will prefer to take it out when I read, so I haven't added velcro to firm up the hold. It's good enough for now. And it's not very bulky, though it would be even less bulky if it fit the 350 a bit better.

They're not expensive and they come in bright colors. It'll do, until I find something I like better, if I find something.

Last edited by elizilla; 02-13-2011 at 12:38 AM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
It should be noted that there is a built in magnetic latch on the official 350 lighted case, I'm sure the non lighted one has it too. It should prevent it from accidentally opening during a fall. If it's a violent fall or you fling it across the room, then yes, it might open.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
The magnets for that latch are actually in the reader rather than the case. I put my 650 in an Oberon leather cover, and glued washers to the corners of the front cover so it would stick to the reader. You could glue washers into just about any cover, I suppose.

I considered using magnets in my cover, for a firmer hold, but I don't know whether they could possibly scramble something. If anyone has a Sony cover with the magnets closure, I'd be interested to know if the covers have magnets there or just steel.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have the lighted cover for the 350, and you're right. The magnets aren't in the cover at all, but rather in the right side corners of the reader itself. I was pretty surprised at that actually.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
The magnets for that latch are actually in the reader rather than the case. I put my 650 in an Oberon leather cover, and glued washers to the corners of the front cover so it would stick to the reader. You could glue washers into just about any cover, I suppose.

I considered using magnets in my cover, for a firmer hold, but I don't know whether they could possibly scramble something. If anyone has a Sony cover with the magnets closure, I'd be interested to know if the covers have magnets there or just steel.
Interesting to know! I suspected as much since my 350 is magnetically attracted to my air filter, the top is metal. I thought that was rather odd, but neat.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have the green/sand coloured cover and the magnets in the cover are visible from the inside cover. There are two shorter ones in the corners of the backcover and a short one in the upper corner of the front cover and a long one in the lower part of the front cover.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote