Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
PDF settings for PRS-650

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody has suggestions for how best to set up the reader for PDF ebooks, mostly text based. I find that most PDF ebooks are a bit taller and thinner than the screen, so the default setting renders the page too small. Since text reflow is a bit unreliable, I have been trying to read in landscape mode which gives an okay half page rendition, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. The main problem with the half page rendition is that the bottom couple of lines are repeated at the top of the next page, so it's hard to read smoothly at page turns.

Thanks in advance,

Nike
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Optionally you can try to convert PDF to ePub using calibre. As your PDFs are mostly text based the result should be a better fit for the 650.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I've found the Calibre conversion to Epub highly unreliable, though perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I never find the need to convert the PDF's.
I just throw them on the device and reflow - It's always good enough !
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I usually read PDF books in Medium size - the reflow leaves orphan lines, the page number at the top of the page instead of the bottom, etc., but nothing major (no deal breaker).

Double-column PDF stuff reads best under the 4-quadrant option, but those are somewhat rare I believe.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Just use them in the original PDF format. Works okay. The only annoying thing is there is a big jump in font sizes. However, if you put it in landscape mode, you seem to get an in-between font size. Play around with it. It works okay.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
When I am converting from word docs to PDF, I set the pdf printer to A7 page size and set the margins to 0. Also I use 9pt for the main text. (Where there is mixed sizes, I decrease all globally via the font size shortcut, until the main text is 9pt.)

This seems to work for me.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Hi there I actually have a question that ties in here very well I think:
What are the correct settings for PDFs to be readable in Reflow mode...
Apart from Ocr-ing the document, how can I remove the picture that is underlying the recognized text. And which settings guarantee a proper rendering in Reflow mode? In some PDFs I have (that actually look quite good and seem to have been produced as text-only PDFs), the line breaks cannot be removed, how to I have to reconvert PDFs to make that go away? Adobe Acrobat is available (though not for extensive testing).
Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Re johnnyb

I have tried reflow in all sorts of PDF progs and given up. Hence I convert to a word doc (or RTF, then into word) edit and set pages size etc. before printing as a PDF again. As I set to A7 before printing as PDF, I can see if any diagrams, etc. need resizing.

Possibly a long-winded way but I hope that this helps you.
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks for all the replies.

I tried to go PDF --> RTF -->resize ---> PDF, but it's a bit time consuming. Probably I need to set up a few presets to do the various steps quickly.

On the other hand, it does seem the the PRS 650 will read RTF natively, so you can also just load the RTF directly to the Reader in Calibre. The reader does a pretty good job fitting the text to the page and reflowing to suit, although it's rather slow to load and change font size. However, it works reasonably well.
Probably I should figure out how to optimize the RTF so that the reader can handle it faster.
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote