Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Greetings from Ontario, Canada (eh!)

Bought my first e-reader the other day and have really enjoyed it. I bought a kobo and (so far) have had no real issues.

I'm still looking at an iPad for use with graphic novels and more interactive content but for the money the kobo is a great buy and meets my needs quite well.

My reading interests are quite varied. I'll read almost anything. Authors I am particularly fond of are: Bryce Courtenay, W.E.B. Griffin, Brad Thor, Nelson Demille, Anthony Beevor, Tim Dorsey, Carl Hiaasen and Lee Child.

My ereader isn't meant to replace my collection of books but rather to augment it.

Cheers!

Rob
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

Congrats on the KOBO!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Rob, and Click image for larger version

Name:	82456.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	52758 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Rob and welcome to MobileRead. I'm a big Brad Thor, Nelson Demille and Lee Child fan too. Have you read 61 Hours yet?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead nursedude.

Someone in our family always used to go to the US to pick up the latest Carl Hiaasen and then pass it around the family. We'd read it before it got released in hardback in Canada. Now with eBooks, there's no wait, unless it's geographically restricted that is.

Cheers from the west coast.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Welcome, from across the Peace Bridge

How easy do you find it to operate the Kobo with your left hand? I'm very interested in it for one-handed use, but I need the ability to switch hands.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Rob. An admirable view of things. I wonder if you'll feel the same attachment to paper books after a few more months with a reader, though. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Greetings, and welcome for somewhere under BC.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post
My reading interests are quite varied. I'll read almost anything. Authors I am particularly fond of are: Bryce Courtenay, W.E.B. Griffin, Brad Thor, Nelson Demille, Anthony Beevor, Tim Dorsey, Carl Hiaasen and Lee Child.
Welcome to MobileRead, Rob.

One of the nice things about using the Kobo in Toronto is that it can be used to easily access the (modest) ePub collection at the Toronto Public Library online. TPL uses the industry standard interface, Overdrive, along with your library card number and PIN for identification.

While Overdrive lacks some user-friendliness, and the library provides rather a thin list of titles, and the Kobo has an annoying "font glitch" rendering some ePubs unreadably small ... hey, we're all relatively early adopters here and, at the end of the day, it does work.

Lee Child's 61 Hours and Gone Tomorrow are available as ePubs. There are also audiobook editions from Bryce Courtenay and Nelson Demille, and both pdf and audiobooks from Carl Hiaasen. It's a slow process, but the library is actually adding new titles (a trickle, not a flow) which turn up in small batches ever 2 or 3 weeks.

You'll find downloadable ePubs from Elizabeth George, James Paterson, Linwod Barclay, Lisa Jackson, Charlaine Harris, J D Robb, P D James, John Grisham and others. Titles can be borrowed for 7, 14 or 21 days -- your choice -- and can be returned early for the benefit of other patrons. There's a straightforward hold system which notifies you by e-mail when your book is in.

So congrats on your Kobo and welcome to Mobile Read!

SP
In Toronto
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Welcome to MR .....

For all good things kobo go here >>>>>> Kobo
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
Thanks for all the welcome messages.

My local library doesn't do ebooks (yet) but I remain hopeful. I'm just in the midst of reading 61 hours now (hardcover).

I find I can use the kobo right or left handed with no roblem. It's light enough that I can use my left hand with no discomfort from what would be an ergonomically unfriendly position with a heavier product.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote