Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
[Android App] CC Update trouble with Moon+ Reader

The latest update of Calibre Companion has thrown up a fault. I wiped the shelf and redid it a few times, but it's still doing it.
When I download from Calibre using the Companion, all the books have a little dash in front of them. I import them to Moon+ Reader, and they go in fine. But when I repeat it, after I've put a new book there, it imports everything all over again, and it does it wrong, with the little dashes and "epub" where the author's name should be.
Am I doing something wrong? It didn't do this before.
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
The latest update of Calibre Companion has thrown up a fault. I wiped the shelf and redid it a few times, but it's still doing it.
When I download from Calibre using the Companion, all the books have a little dash in front of them. I import them to Moon+ Reader, and they go in fine. But when I repeat it, after I've put a new book there, it imports everything all over again, and it does it wrong, with the little dashes and "epub" where the author's name should be.
Am I doing something wrong? It didn't do this before.
It isn't clear to me what program is not working, Calibre Companion (CC) or Moon+.

Questions:
- Are the books showing correctly in CC?
- Can you look at the book's metadata in CC?
- Does the "Show missing books" function in CC find anything?
- What is the "it" that is "doing it wrong"?
- What program is showing that "little dash"?
- What does "wiped the shelf" mean? Is this something you do in Moon+?

Note that one of the recent CC upgrades allowed use of subfolders in the send-to-device template, something that the earlier versions of CC did not permit. If you are using subfolders and Moon+ is acting up, it could be that it doesn't like subfolders or doesn't like the file names the template produces. To test this, change the send-to-device template as described in the Kindle for Android FAQ post (K4A also does not like subfolders).

Again, if it is Moon+ that is showing the incorrect info, then you could try deleting all the files in it's folder (whatever that is) and then resending them. It is possible that there are bits and pieces of old files hanging around that are confusing it.

On the other hand, if it is CC that is showing the wrong information, then let me know and we will go from there.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The latest update of Calibre Companion has thrown up a fault.
Looking over your post here and in this thread, seems to indicate CC is working fine.

Quote:
When I download from Calibre using the Companion, all the books have a little dash in front of them.
I assume you are talking about the file name? Or are you talking about after importing into Moon+ Reader? Either way I'm betting you have a Save Template problem in the Device Plugin. Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugin - SmartDevice app interface - Customize. What is your save template (mine is attached).

Quote:
I import them to Moon+ Reader, and they go in fine. But when I repeat it, after I've put a new book there, it imports everything all over again, and it does it wrong, with the little dashes and "epub" where the author's name should be. Am I doing something wrong? It didn't do this before.
I use Moon+ Reader as my reader too, but I use CC to locate and launch my ebooks. Let's see your save template before we answer if you did something wrong, but I answered you in this thread essentially saying just don't import into Moon+ Reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Device_plugin.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	91993  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Posts moved to its own thread to consolidate troubleshooting this issue to one thread.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After reading the three threads describing the problem, it seems that the problem lies with Moon+. Calibre Companion is doing what it is supposed to do -- putting the book file on your device. We have no control over what Moon+ does with the file.

Dwanthny's suggestion that you check the save path in calibre is a good one. It could be that Moon+ doesn't like subfolders. It also could be that the name of a book file is longer than what it can handle. If the problem started when you sent a particular book, check the book's file name to see if it is very long. You can see the file name in CC's book details screen.

If you are still having the problem, could you answer the questions I asked in post 2? It is still possible that CC is doing something unusual, and if so I would like to track it down.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My template is a bit more complicated than yours. I've attached it so you can see.
I downloaded FBR and Cool Reader (which has a known bug in Jellybean, so I'm waiting for them to fix it, and I might go over to that, instead) and I already have Mantano. They don't have a problem importing books more than once (ie, import initial library then look at it again to add new books as required).
It's beyond me to cure the problem, but I did like your suggestion of opening them in the Companion.
I'm using Mantano right now, and even when I'm not using it to read, I use it to organise my books. I had found a way of getting Moon+ to organise on shelves or categories, but unless I import the books, I can't do it.
No, it's not one particular book, as far as I can tell. I tested it by putting half a dozen books in a different file from CC and then importing those.
Weird - I import all the books from CC into Moon+, they all show as they should - title on one line, author on the other, details below, like this:
Alice In Wonderland
Lewis Carroll

Then I do another import, and the books are saved like this:
- Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Epub

No duplicates. Just re-imported and relabeled.
On my device, the books (no folders) CC imports are either prefixed by a dash, or they are numbered (eg , so there's no way of ordering them. Moon+ is imitating that when it re-imports. They're not like that on my computer.
EG, there are a bunch of them like this:
- Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll.epub
or they're like this:
0 - Alice In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll.epub
They aren't duplicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	92343  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Pinkie
Connoisseur

BTW, the problem started when I started using the Nexus 7, right from the get-go. I never used CC with my previous reader, a rooted Nook Color, because Calibre detected it.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

One problem with that template is that a book that does not have a series index will have a name that begins with a dash. To prevent that, your template should be
Code:
{series_index:|| - }{title} - {authors}

Last edited by chaley; 09-14-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
My template is a bit more complicated than yours. I've attached it so you can see.
Your template is hardly complicated at all. The dash is there because your template tells the dash to be there. As chaley pointed out if you fix the template the leading dash will go away.

Quote:
It's beyond me to cure the problem, but I did like your suggestion of opening them in the Companion.
This works great for me. I have 1700 books on my device and importing them into Moon+ Reader doesn't make sense when CC already has everything neatly organized for me.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Pinkie
Connoisseur

Sorry about the multiple threads. I'm not very good with forums and I didn't know where the question belonged.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Pinkie
Connoisseur

That's it! All for a dash!
I import books into Moon+ because then I can sort them. I don't want much, just a way to label the books for review and the books I've read, but you can do that through the Favorites menu in Moon+ - I don't think you can do that through CC.
I do like to sort by genre, too, but that's because I'm a wannabe librarian!
Thank you so much for your help, that's something I'd never have found on my own. I tend to google for what I want and then follow the instructions, but this one really had me puzzled.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I import books into Moon+ because then I can sort them.
You can sort in CC every which way you like including ascending or descending by alphabet. Group by Title, Author, Series, Tag(aka genre), Publisher or user categories. Then you can further sort these groupings by Title, Author, Series, Date, Date Read.

Quote:
I don't want much, just a way to label the books for review and the books I've read, but you can do that through the Favorites menu in Moon+
How do you do this?

I use calibre to label/tag books which is then handled automatically by CC. After I read a book I remove it from my device via CC and all other books are labeled by genre, series and any other tag I wish to assign the book. If I was going to keep all of my books on my device I would tag the read books appropriately in calibre so they would be labeled as such in CC.

When you are using calibre with CC, using another tool to track things seems redundant.

Quote:
I do like to sort by genre, too, but that's because I'm a wannabe librarian!
CC is great for sorting any way you want. I even have a user category that sorts by Author, Series, and Title. This keeps all books by any author grouped together and in that group ensures the series books are in also in order and the books not in a series are sorted alphabetically by title.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Pinkie
Connoisseur

In Moon+, you click on a book cover, and choose to "edit book details." On that form you have an "Add to Favorites" option. You can have sub-categories which you name yourself, so you can have "Read," etc. and put the book in the category you want when you're done with it.
I'm still playing with Calibre Companion. It seems to want a hashtag before a user defined category, and you can't organise a bunch of books at the same time, you have to do it singly, which isn't much fun with 1,000 books. I will continue to play with the app, and it is very robust. It links with Calibre without a problem, and is much easier than connecting through the browser, as well as offering extra features.
So far I'm enjoying it, and I've already recommended it on a loop I belong to!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
In Moon+, you click on a book cover, and choose to "edit book details." On that form you have an "Add to Favorites" option. You can have sub-categories which you name yourself, so you can have "Read," etc. and put the book in the category you want when you're done with it.
Thanks for the info. Categorizing books one at a time in Moon+ isn't my idea of fun considering I have everything already tagged/categorized in calibre.

Quote:
I'm still playing with Calibre Companion. It seems to want a hashtag before a user defined category, and you can't organise a bunch of books at the same time, you have to do it singly, which isn't much fun with 1,000 books.
You organize your books in calibre, then when you transfer them to CC they should all be categorized. For me organizing books in calibre is much easier than trying to use Moon+.

Quote:
I will continue to play with the app, and it is very robust. It links with Calibre without a problem, and is much easier than connecting through the browser, as well as offering extra features. So far I'm enjoying it, and I've already recommended it on a loop I belong to!
I agree it is a great app, I'm glad you find it enjoyable.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
lissa5168
lissa5168 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (modded)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

CC is great for sorting any way you want. I even have a user category that sorts by Author, Series, and Title. This keeps all books by any author grouped together and in that group ensures the series books are in also in order and the books not in a series are sorted alphabetically by title.
How do you set this up? I've been trying, but can't get it to work.

Also, quick question. I have an author friend who self-publishes. Very frequently, he will send me a book to preview/read before he submits to Amazon. (He sends me the file in .epub as he knows I prefer Moon+.) In the past, I always imported the file into Calibre and then transfered to my device and it works flawlessly, however that meant waiting until I got home to my laptop if I wanted to add it to my library and therefore read on a different device. My question is, using this new CC, can I therefore just place the .epub he sends me into my CC folder (and thereby read in Moon+) and when I get home to the PC, my CC folder will automatically sync to Calibre? Or do I need to go into my device on Calibre and Add to Library? I guess either is OK as long as I can directly put that .epub into CC and have it available.

Please excuse my rambling. I'm really bad at putting things into words. Hopefully you know what I mean, haha.
lissa5168 is offline   Reply With Quote