Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #16
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The problem is that most PDFs are formatted for a fixed page size which is a lot larger than the 5" or 6" screen of an ereader. Either you need to zoom, or you need to scroll. Also, it can be quite difficult to convert these PDFs to something that would work better on a small screen.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I use ABBYYA's PDF transformer.... It is quite good at converting PDFs to RTF, searchable PDF, or html......
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I use ABBYYA's PDF transformer.... It is quite good at converting PDFs to RTF, searchable PDF, or html......
Same here! Whenever I have to read a PDF on my ereader, I use ABBYY to translate the PDF to text, then open the file in Atlantis and save as EPUB. Within 5 minutes I have an EPUB.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ditto here, Doreen.... I use Atlantis to get an epub for my Opus or 350 as well or Keep it in RTF and put it on My 350
Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #20
BankerBuster
BankerBuster began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus, Sony Tablet S
I'm not sure if you're interested M A T, but I've just heard that Worten (local store) is selling the white Cybook Opus for 99,90€ (LINK).

I have a black one, and though I wouldn't buy one if a needed a new reader, it's a quite capable little machine, with one of the best epub renderings on the market. As most readers, most pdf's kind of suck, but you can't always get what you want...
BankerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
hidari
MR Drone

Plus, you can skin the OPUS with DecalGal...have skinned my 350 and it looks better than the original silver...
Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
M A T
M A T doesn't litterM A T doesn't litter

Device: Looking for one
BankerBuster - Thanks for the link. 99.90 euros is a very good price indeed for the Opus.

Thanks again everybody. I bought a Pocketbook IQ and I'm pretty happy with it .
M A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #23
sergio13
Connoisseur
sergio13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
All of the readers that you mention are good. Personally, I would not buy from Pocketbook as I am having rather piss poor service from them now, The Bookeen Orizon seems to be a good device. Harry T. was recommending it
Yes, i also had problem with my pocketbook...
For reading pdf ? i think that readers are not very good for that. It's also better on a large screen
sergio13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
bikerjr1
bikerjr1 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
I got the Pocketbook IQ for the same reasons you listed.
Needed to be able to read PDF tech manuals, IQ does a good job.
Wanted to check emails, mini Opera works very nice for most web pages.
I wanted alot of different book formats without having to convert them. I usually copy new books to the SD card and throw that back into the PB IQ and I'm done, simple and easy.
Battery life is good. I run in airplane mode unless I need to connect to the net for something. One click in the settings and I'm on or off the net.
The LCD screen has one advantage, reading at night. The backlight screen does not require any other light source. Set the levels right and it's easy on the eyes. Night reading was a requirement of mine.
I did update the firmware right after I got it. It is simple to do. Copy files to an SD card, turn it on holding a botton down and let it go do its thing.
In my opinion, the IQ is a good "Jack of all trades". Think of it as a Swiss Army knife, I can get all of the things in it in stand alone packages that will do a better job, BUT I make do by being able to carry all of them in my pocket.
JR
bikerjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
another one, bebook, bookeen, pocketbook