Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Oberon Design
Oberon Design doesn't litterOberon Design doesn't litterOberon Design doesn't litter

Device: none
Message from Oberon Design

Hello Everyone,

This is Becca Smith, I’m the Vice President of Oberon Design, makers of leather covers for the Sony and Kindle E Readers, refillable journals, etc.
Thanks to all of you that have purchased one of our E Reader covers or expressed interest in what we do. I wanted to directly address the issue of the loose corner straps a few of you have experienced when purchasing a cover for your 505 Sony Reader model. The beta testers for our covers felt that we could easily offer one cover for both models and didn’t feel the corner straps were an issue. Unfortunately some of you don’t agree and this has lead to the perception that we’ve ignored quality control at Oberon. Though we’re certainly perfectly capable of missing details at times, this was not one them!! Instead, we had beta test feedback that some folks would be engaged in cross usage between models or would want to upgrade to a 700 at some point, hence the same straps for both model covers. We’ve had about three people complain that, though they acknowledged that their 505 model wouldn’t fall out of the cover, they didn’t like the looser look of the straps and wanted to be completely confidant of the security of their expensive E Reader. We couldn’t agree more and have asked those customers to return their covers to us so that we can tighten the corner straps. We’ve also changed the buy pages of our website. Now when you order a Sony Reader cover it asks you to identify what model you’re ordering a cover for, 505 or 700. We are now making the 505 covers with a shorter strap length. If anyone else who purchased a cover for a 505 is unhappy with their fit, please contact us at Oberon (sales@oberondesign.com) and we’d be happy to tighten them for you. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post and for supporting products made in the U.S.

Kind regards, Becca
Oberon Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Excellent customer service! Thanks for posting.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is very nice service.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Really glad to hear about you listening and adapting to the wants of the customers.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Nice to see a vendor step up too the plate.... My next cover will be an Oberon...

Kudo's Becca
Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
genegenie
genegenie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony
I posted this Here but as you have posted another thread I thought I should also post my comment here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon Design View Post
Nice to see the enthusiasm everyone - thanks so much - we appreciate it
Oh dear!

I am sorry but your overtly sarcastic comment, (if you read the preceding posts), sums up to me the total lack of interest Oberon really has in their customers.

I for one emailled Becca and queried the looseness of the straps asking if I could order one specifically to suit the 505, (see my earlier post), only to be told that I could not as you knew better than me and it was satisfactory as is. I should have realised then and not ordered.

I note that you have since placed photo's on your site that show the straps as 'not loose' on the 505.They are 'very loose' on mine - you can insert a finger between the reader and the strap and my fingers ain't small - much too loose.

Your offer to correct covers returned to you may be satisfactory for your US customers but not for overseas with the high postage costs. It will be cheaper for me to get a local leatherworker to correct your mistake and bad design - writing it off as a 'bad job'.

With hindsight I very much regret buying from you.
genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Hmmm, given your previous postsings here Genegenie...

The covers were released for order in early July, and you had already ordered the cover by the 26th (when you were waiting for it to arrive).

So presumably you would have emailed Becca before sometime between the 10th and the 25th. But within the first few weeks they were for sale. And before complaints would have started filtering in

As she says in her posting "The beta testers for our covers felt that we could easily offer one cover for both models and didn’t feel the corner straps were an issue."

So what she said at that time would have been correct. Nearly amonth later after receiving complaints they have decided to change their design.

Have you tried contacting them now and asking if there is anything they can do in your case given the shipping costs involved? Since they have changed their minds and it was a point you raised prior to order, but that they assured you would not be a problem in light of their design change?

If not it seems unfair to accuse Becca of sarcasm or lack of interest in customers.

Last edited by Riocaz; 08-21-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Becca,

As a European customer I am more than happy with the fit of the cover on my 505. I got one of your earlier covers from when they were first offered.

I must say it has been admired by the few folks who have seen it and is a delight to use. The free key charm has been snaffled by my wife and is worn daily on a leather thong. Now I need to find an excuse to order a couple of pendants!
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Becca, you may want to take a look at the Vaja leather case products for various devices (if you're not familiar with them already!). Those cases are truly form-fitting, with excellent finished edges, and aren't bulky. I like the tooled cover design of the Oberon cases, but I would never buy one. (And I have been known to spend $$$ on quality cases.) Why? Because it is bulky (seems bloated next to the thin and functional OEM Sony cover), doesn't seem to fold back easily (important because the cover NEEDS to be folded back while reading with one hand!), the decorative button-and-elastic closure is bulky (and an elastic string on the outside of a nice leather cover seems 'cheap'), and the slapped-on corner straps with one stretch corner (easy to make, for sure) isn't very form-fitting, partially obscures some corner controls, and also looks cheap. A high-quality leather cover should be form-fitting ('like a glove!) with customized attachment means specific to each device that avoids any buttons/controls. Looks are nice (from the outside), but functionality is also important. Premium prices should getyou premium design, not 'generic' corner-straps.

I *would* pay good money for a tooled leather cover that attaches like the OEM Sony (hinge pins, magnets) so that it is not bulky and is unobtrusive while reading. Maybe it's just me,or maybe others would also prefer a nice-looking Reader cover that is also better-designed and more functional.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Why would anyone want a cover that attaches like a Sony one. Those plastic hinges are flimsey as heck.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Oberon Design
Oberon Design doesn't litterOberon Design doesn't litterOberon Design doesn't litter

Good Evening Everyone

Just want you to be aware of our Sony Cover news: we've come up with an answer to the many sizes for each model with the Sony Reader. We've proactively taken action to make sure every cover fits!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
WOW! those are nice! Will you be making one for the PRS-600?! I want one!
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Oberon Design

Thanks!

Hope you had a great weekend!

In response to your question about a cover for a PRS-600 we aren't making them at this time.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Since a few have said that the m-edge covers for the 505 are fitting the 600 very well, I would think an oberon cover for the 505 would fit as well. 505 & 600 have the same dimensions pretty much. The 600 is just a little bit thicker.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I wonder if the 700 covers would fit the 600 better than the 505.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote