Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #76
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Keep in mind that some affiliate programs last much longer - 30 day cookies are not uncommon (and I saw one, somewhere, where you got a percentage for the life of the customer ... not that I thought I could sell whatever it was).

The 24 hour cookie that Amazon uses is fairly short (it also ends when any physical product order goes thru - either via one-click or the cart.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #77
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
So, when I go to get a free ebook from Amazon--I should use private browsing since that does not store cookies.

bernie
Just install Ghostery.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #78
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Just install Ghostery.
You know, the more you guys hurt small site operators trying to monetize their hard work, the less content you will have.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
You know, the more you guys hurt small site operators trying to monetize their hard work, the less content you will have.
Surely you mean the less FREE/BARGAIN content we will find without doing the hard work ourselves, right? Unless you're trying to say the free/bargain content will cease to exist if you guys stop pointing to it.

Until such time as affiliate links are limited to a single click-through to a purchase--for that browser session only, I'll delete them from urls. Nothing personal. The current situ just doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #80
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
You almost had me until you used monetize.

Define Monetize: making money off of other peoples efforts.

Sorry. I don't consider the fact that you can use a search engine and and can type up a URL worth the cookie.

Oh.. I use Ghostery to block cookies and Adblock to block annoying ads. Death of the Internet ... Details at 11
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #81
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Surely you mean the less FREE/BARGAIN content we will find without doing the hard work ourselves, right? Unless you're trying to say the free/bargain content will cease to exist if you guys stop pointing to it.

Until such time as affiliate links are limited to a single click-through to a purchase--for that browser session only, I'll delete them from urls. Nothing personal. The current situ just doesn't sit right with me.
Despite the store you are "benefiting" by this policy has said that this is how they WANT their affiliates to benefit?

Where is the harm to you? Where is the problem you are "fixing" by doing this?

Actually, nm, I've had these types of arguments before with people who are just anti-ad/anti-marketing types, and know there is no convincing them they are wrong, morally or otherwise, and no change at really having a logical or reasoning filled conversation with them about it.

My answer to people like you is if you disagree with the affiliate links, then don't visit the sites that use them, and use only sites that do things the way you think they should.

At least then you're being morally correct.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #82
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Personally, I doubt I'll any of the free stuff. It's generally free for a reason.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #83
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Despite the store you are "benefiting" by this policy has said that this is how they WANT their affiliates to benefit?

Where is the harm to you? Where is the problem you are "fixing" by doing this?

Actually, nm, I've had these types of arguments before with people who are just anti-ad/anti-marketing types, and know there is no convincing them they are wrong, morally or otherwise, and no change at really having a logical or reasoning filled conversation with them about it.

My answer to people like you is if you disagree with the affiliate links, then don't visit the sites that use them, and use only sites that do things the way you think they should.

You argument is that if I put a sign up in my yard, visible from the sidewalk, people should pay to look at it if I put out a hat. If the web site allows access without me even having to log in, it's free for the viewing.

Any business plan that relies on the generousity of others who have an active incentive to not be generous is doomed to fail, and nobody is responsible for that failure beyond whoever runs that web site.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Oh I don't know. I've always thought of myself as quite logical and reasonable.

Quote:
I don't disagree with affiliate links. I disagree with affiliates getting credit for traffic beyond the one link I might have followed to a particular product that I then purchased (even if it cost nothing) in that session. A click-through.

Quote:
Morals don't enter into it. I don't approve or disapprove of what you or other affiliates do with your personal time for yourselves and for Amazon. I frankly don't care about the affiliate program. Most of the time, I don't make use of sites that provide links to free and cheap ebooks, as I'm not really much of a bargain hunter. But I often encounter affiliate links in places where I least expect them, to tell the truth. And I simply reserve the right to decide if and when I'm going allow someone to piggy-back on my shopping for 24 hours. It's my browser and my shopping after all.

As I said, it's nothing personal. It's just that I get to decide. Because I can... not because I despise you or anything.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-27-2013 at 07:25 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #85
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Just install Ghostery.
Done. Thanks!

Last edited by JoHunt; 02-28-2013 at 03:09 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #86
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Let's not go down the morals road, that just stirs up a lot of trouble. Just because one person sees it as a moral issue doesn't mean another will. I think affiliates are fine, as long as they only get credit for what they brought me to. Why should they get a percentage if I decide to buy my hubby a tablet? That has nothing to do with them unless they pointed out a good deal to me. Mostly I go directly to Amazon for everything but free ebooks.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #87
jalandar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Let's not go down the morals road, that just stirs up a lot of trouble. Just because one person sees it as a moral issue doesn't mean another will. I think affiliates are fine, as long as they only get credit for what they brought me to. Why should they get a percentage if I decide to buy my hubby a tablet? That has nothing to do with them unless they pointed out a good deal to me. Mostly I go directly to Amazon for everything but free ebooks.
Why should you decide how someone who brought you to a retailer gets paid by that retailer? You have nothing to do with that relationship or their arrangement.

What they should get is between the two parties.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #88
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why should you decide how someone who brought you to a retailer gets paid by that retailer? You have nothing to do with that relationship or their arrangement.

What they should get is between the two parties.
Right, but I don't want them piggybacking on other things I buy, either. MY relationship with the retailer is none of their business. Even if they don't know what I buy they shouldn't be any part of that process. They had nothing to do with me going back to that site most of the time.

If I click through a site to buy something, fine, they can profit. If, however, it is to a retailer I already use and later go directly to that site and purchase something then WHY should the affiliate get a portion of that purchase? They had NOTHING to do with my subsequent behavior. NOTHING

Do I detest those who are affiliates? No, I don't. They provide a service to us. But I don't think their profitability should be based on my behavior after visiting them. I also don't think it should hurt them if I go on a freebie spree just after buying some cool gadget they alerted me was available at a great price.

I mostly shop at the same sites over and over, so the affiliate didn't 'bring me' to the retailer in the first place. Amazon? I purchased close to $2000 in textbooks alone this year between two college students. Why should an affiliate get ANY money from them?

Last edited by mrscoach; 02-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #89
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Ah, but did you buy the tablet because you had so many free books that you needed a portable place to read them? Or get an eInk device instead, due to a remark the affiliate made in an earlier post (just not that particular day). Most do add value to what they present (otherwise, you'ld just be on the API only sites, that just list free books each day -- they'll either have to stop, earning $$ only via advertising or become subscription sites, with the new rules ... or, just negotiate an exception with Amazon, as so many large sites do that break other affiliate rules routinely).

Most iTunes referrals you see are affiliate based. Their links generally hide the relationship, last 72 hours and I usually don't see any disclosure language (they must have some, since it is a govt requirement ... assuming the person running the site is US based, of course - that isn't necessarily true, even if the links do go to US itunes). A few sites have "session" based affiliate cookies, but defining what a session is, in the days of multiple tabs and never closed browsers is a bit vague.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #90
mrscoach
Guru

I buy electronics after much looking around and researching and even trying out hands on. Did the affiliates have anything to do with any part of that process? Maybe, I don't keep track of who is affiliates on all the sites I visit. If they did have some part of the decision then which ones? And where I buy the device depends on my searches of all the sites I buy at and who has the best price, and whether or not someone in town has it in stock at a comparable price that I can have in my hands immediately. Unless I am given a link for a GREAT price, then the affiliate really isn't part of the final purchase.

And no, I didn't buy my tablet or Kindle because of all the freebies. I also go to Amazon and search particular authors and books for myself, I don't just get freebies, most aren't worth my time.