Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Reader unresponsive after battery change

Hi All,

I've just taken the plunge and replaced the battery on my 505. Everything went according to plan and the battery is now fully charged. However, when I turn the reader on it starts up OK and displays the main menu but is unresponsive from thereon. The only buttons which seem to work are the power and the volume.

A short reset has no effect. When I try a hard reset, following the Wiki instructions here, it gets as far as the 'start-up' screen but holding the 'Mark' and 'Vol+' buttons doesn't bring up the 'Reset' screen - it gets up to the main menu again but remains unresponsive thereafter.

I've displayed the contents in Calibre and successfully deleted a book, as a test. This seemed to work OK as far as Calibre is concerned, but I have no idea about the Reader itself because when I unplugged it and it started up again, it still froze on the menu. I cannot access the 'settings' menu to shut it down - I can only switch off via the power button on top.

My next stage seems to be a full re-format but I need to have some firmware to reload. I've been onto the Sony site and see the update firmware is available - is this all I need or does this only update the basic operating software which is already there? Does anyone know where I can find the complete software which will work from scratch, please?

Has anyone got any other suggestions about how to get it working without doing a full re-format?

It was working fine before the battery change, so I suspect I've done something wrong, even though I followed the online video instructions as I went along.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks,

Chris
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi Chris,

this sounds like the "keyboard cable" isn't connected right. The ZIF connector and the latch are known for some trouble.
If you search this forum you can find some reports of PRS-505 owners reporting some or all key not responding after changing the battery.
First I would try to reseat the keyboard-connector.
If this doesn't work, you can try to reassign the working volume-keys to prev and next and holding them to menu and mark. (This will include installation of a CFW and cheating with applicationStart.xml)
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Thanks, Mark. I presume the keyboard connector is the ribbon cable? Apart from screws, this was the only thing I really had to fiddle with. I'll have another try.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
dickon25
Groupie

It worked! I took it apart again and resited the ribbon cable - took a couple of tries but it's now working properly! Hopefully, it'll be better than ever with it's extra-strength battery.

Thanks Mark!

Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Great, you worked it out!
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert