Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #31
supert
supert began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
# ps aux | grep telnet
shows that telnetd is run from
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd -F

This means you need the `usbNetwork running to start the telnet daemon.
It would be nice to hack so that telnetd auto starts.
supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #32
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
# ps aux | grep telnet
shows that telnetd is run from
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd -F

This means you need the `usbNetwork running to start the telnet daemon.
It would be nice to hack so that telnetd auto starts.
Alas as I wrote, I *do* have usbNetwork running and still no telnetd. Thanks supert, can I ask which version of the usbNetwork hack you run (mine is v0.30n on a Kindle 3 Wifi)?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #33
supert

Quote:
[root@kindle usbnet]# cat info.txt
$Id: info.txt 6575 2010-07-28 21:28:05Z NiLuJe $

Hello! If you're wondering what all this weird stuff on your Kindle is,
I'm a usbnetwork hack! There's a good chance that I came from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I'm at version 0.11.N, so, if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need
the uninstaller from that version.

NOTE: Rename the 'DISABLED_auto' file to 'auto' if you want your Kindle to act
as Ethernet Over USB instead of Mass Storage USB by default.

-- NiLuJe
I'm using a DX G, though I don't think it matters.
If you can telnet from your PC then your telnetd is running. What do you get from
Quote:
# ps aux | grep telnet
?

I am now trying to set up a script so telnetd runs on boot.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
supert

I upgraded to usbnet 0.3 and it still works.

I managed to set up a script /etc/init.d/telnetd symlinked to /etc/rc5.d/S99telnetd to start dropbear and telnetd automatically without needing `usbnetwork.

I think that, if you wanted to ssh over the ppp connection, you needn't mess with the proxy settings etc (as mentioned by OP) but rather compile a proxy tunneling software like corkscrew, or something.

Last edited by supert; 02-18-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #35
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Hi supert,

No telnetd process on the Kindle:
Quote:
[root@kindle root]# ps aux | grep telnet
root 18431 0.0 0.2 2656 532 pts/2 S<+ 10:52 0:00 grep telnet
[root@kindle root]#
Can't telnet from my PC:
Quote:
C:\>telnet 10.0.0.31
Connexion à 10.0.0.31...Impossible d'ouvrir une connexion à l'hôte, sur le port 23: Échec lors de la connexion
C:\>
Then I manualy ran your command and voilà!:
Quote:
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd
[root@kindle root]# ps aux | grep telnet
root 20521 0.0 0.1 1720 292 ? S<s 11:04 0:00 /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd
root 20523 0.0 0.2 2656 532 pts/2 S<+ 11:04 0:00 grep telnet
[root@kindle root]#
I don't know why ~usbNetwork didn't start the process... everything is fine now.

Thanks for kindly helping.

[edit]
Re-reading the usbnet hack documentation I found out that the telnet daemon is not started when networking only on the wifi interface (and not on the usb interface). So in my case the absence of telnetd worked as designed. Just have to start it manualy as above.

Last edited by PoP; 03-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
McArrow
McArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
And, of course, you will need to have telnetd running on your kindle. That said, you will most probably want to just setup and enable USB networking support.

BTW, a vt320 terminal should be backwards compatible to vt100 and vt200.
For the future, I'm planning to compile GNU screen and have that running in the background to have re-attachable shell sessions.

Feel free to further hack on the code!
hawhill, your KindleTERM mod is very good

I just made GNU screen running on Kindle. There are still some issues regarding term settings, but basically it works...

Telnetd issue is also solved (without repetitive enabling of usbNetwork). I have just added this line to /etc/inittab
Code:
tn:5:once:/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox telnetd
As I have Kindle 3G, I also wanted the chance (in emergency) to ssh to my Linux machines even when Wifi is not available...

I really don't want to exploit free 3G connectivity for some bad intentions. But I do believe that ssh console traffic is far less consuming then intensive browsing...
Anyway, I can confim it's working too... (after some hacking)
McArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #37
McArrow
McArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with othersMcArrow plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaaron View Post
Please post us when you get "screen" compiled -- I found myself wanting that as soon as I got a shell on the kindle!!
If you want try GNU screen for kindle - here you are...:

It's very usefull for:
- reattaching the disconnected session (when KindleTerm was closed)
- multiple windows
- horizontal split (e.g. two 66x26 character regions)
- copy&paste
- scrolling

Before you run screen, make sure the terminal size (LINES x COLUMNS) is OK...
Code:
stty size
Usually after running KindleTerm the term size is set to 24 x 80 (and you see only C....0 and cursor). Rarely you can see complete Welcome message and the size is set correctly 54 x 66 (or 40 x 88 for landscape).

So I decided to set the correct size every time before running screen:
Code:
stty rows 54 cols 66
screen -R
After a while I got used to Ctrl-a ... (middle, middle, a) key sequence...

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #38
McArrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArrow View Post
If you want try GNU screen for kindle - here you are...

To make it clear... GNU screen is not a kindlet, just Linux CLI enhancer that can be used together with hawhill's KindleTerm.

You can find source code here:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/screen-4.0.3.tar.gz

Ales
Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #39
McArrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Feel free to further hack on the code!
Fixed keycode for FIVE-WAY DOWN button...

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #40
wcdolphin
wcdolphin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am confused... If you guys have:
ssh from the kindle to any server working
and ssh from computer to kindle...
Then you can put two and two together, very easily... I.e. ssh tunnel via kindle...
Someone should correct me if I am wrong...
wcdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #41
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Errm, tunnel for what exactly? If this is about misusing the 3G: nope, we don't encourage that. I'm not even sure if it would work, given that 3G should only allow access to dedicated proxy servers. I think the primary use case is to use ssh to access other machines via Wifi. Or to the kindle itself, as a slightly overcomplicated terminal emulator (hence my modification to use telnet to the kindle itself).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #42
Balmer
Balmer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G(B006)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdolphin View Post
I am confused... If you guys have:
ssh from the kindle to any server working
and ssh from computer to kindle...
Then you can put two and two together, very easily... I.e. ssh tunnel via kindle...
Someone should correct me if I am wrong...
You totaly right!)
Im using my kindle to ssh from my laptop to my servers(in emergency cases of course).
And now planing to install a kindleterm and use kindle as ssh client.
Balmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #43
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Is anyone using rsa keys to ssh from the kindle, to the server? I can't work out where to put the id_rsa.pub file.

edit: Still haven't worked out where to put the keys, but have got debian running in a chroot. This gives access to openssh-client, and so provides an (ugly) workaround.

Last edited by jonj678; 06-07-2011 at 09:03 AM.
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #44
kenchy
kenchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3GB
The pub key won't help you to ssh from the kindle. For that you need a private key in a dropbear format. I used dropbearconvert (on another machine) to convert an openssh key.

From there stick it whereever you like and user dbclient -i /path/to/file host etc.
kenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #45
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
or with other words: The ssh kindlet isn't prepared to use client keys. The solution is, as explained by kenchy, to run an ssh client on the Kindle command line, i.e. connect to your Kindle, then connect to another computer from the shell.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote