Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
simonsezdothis
simonsezdothis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Papewhite
Moved to new Laptop - Having issues

Hi. I'm moving Calibre onto my new Win 8 Laptop. Having some issues.
Kindle Paperwhite WIFI (V1) Firmware 5.4.4.2
Have installed DeDRM Plugin

I want to save the AZW3 ebooks I have purchased to my library so I can load/unload them as required.

Purchases that are on my Kindle don't show up in Calibre Device View.
If I copy an AZW3 file from my Kindle direct to my Laptop, then import it into Calibre it appears to work OK.
If I try and send to my device I get "WARNING No Suitable Formats"
If I try to convert I get "WARNING Could Not Convert - no suitable formats"

What am I missing here?
Am I missing an input plugin or something?
Also need to do the same with my wife's Kindle Touch Firmware 5.1.2

Hope someone can help
Cheers
simonsezdothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try viewing your newly imported books in Calibre's viewer. If you get an error, most likely your DeDRM plugin isn't working.

Unfortunately, we can't discuss removing DRM on this forum. You'll have to ask for help elsewhere (e.g. wherever you got the plugin from).
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Check the device driver for the Kindle, that the AZW3 format is selected as an option.

Are you getting a conversion error as well? Which ends in:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 51, in main
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 195, in main
    result = func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
    override_input_metadata=True)
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
    plumber.run()
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1040, in run
    accelerators, tdir)
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
    log, accelerators)
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/mobi_input.py", line 43, in convert
    opf = os.path.abspath(mr())
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/mobi/reader/mobi8.py", line 77, in __call__
    self.mobi6_reader.check_for_drm()
  File "/home/eschwartz/git/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/mobi/reader/mobi6.py", line 147, in check_for_drm
    raise DRMError(name)
(names of files are using my source code, ignore differences. The general idea is "DRMError". )

If AZW3 is not selected as compatible with your device (the default is NOT) calibre cannot send it without converting, and pops up with "WARNING No Suitable Formats".

If the book is DRMed, it will fail to convert with "WARNING Could Not Convert - no suitable formats".

Fix the Kindle Device Driver, and check your tools configuration (or go to the source for help).

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-05-2014 at 11:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
simonsezdothis

Thanks

"Check the device driver for the Kindle, that the AZW3 format is selected as an option"

I cant see where to do this?
Under Device Interface Plugins the most applicable is 'Kindle Device Interface'
No option for azw3 there.
azw, azw1 are ticked.

Am I in the right place?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsezdothis View Post
Thanks

"Check the device driver for the Kindle, that the AZW3 format is selected as an option"

I cant see where to do this?
Under Device Interface Plugins the most applicable is 'Kindle Device Interface'
No option for azw3 there.
azw, azw1 are ticked.

Am I in the right place?
There are 4 Kindle interface drivers.
Based upon your MR profile: you want to use the 2/3/4Touch... driver

Note the list is not Alphabetical

You adjust the list by Priority with the most desired format to use: highest in the list
Ticks indicate whether to even consider that format. (you device might display formatA, but you hate the way it behaves: remove the tick )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, when your device is plugged in, you can access the currently active Device Interface Plugin from the dropdown under "Device" in the toolbar. "Configure this device".
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
simonsezdothis

I have just loading Calibre version 1.48.0

under 'Device Interface Plugins' the first Kindle item in the list is ...
Kindle 2/3/4/Touch/Paperwhite.

Previously it was ..
Kindle 2/3 ... and had no option for azw3.

So it now works.
Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Hmm, the only explanation I can see is that you previously had a calibre version from before AZW3 was created.

(If so, the Paperwhite shouldn't have been listed.)