Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
pc_kidz
pc_kidz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre 0.8.2 will not email books

Sorry to post this subject again. I have gone through the previous mentioned fixes but I have not solved my problem.

The error I get is:
Starting job: Email Make It Last Forever to cgayle1@gmail.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 50, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 80, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10013, 'An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions')

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Job: "Email Make It Last Forever to cgayle1@gmail.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10013, 'An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions')

Called with args: (u'c:\\users\\owner\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre _0.8.2_tmp_s6kwzi\\calibre_0.8.2_vuzsww.mobi', u'Make It Last Forever - Bolton, Gwyneth.mobi', u'cgayle1@gmail.com', u'E-book: Make It Last Forever', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nMake It Last Forever\n\tby Bolton, Gwyneth\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x0982D170>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x05F128D0>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x0983BB90>}

I am on win7 using Nortons 360 and Kindle 3.1 update. Previous to the updates to kindle and calibre I was able to email books.

Much appreciation and thanks to anyone that can solve my issue.

PC
pc_kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
antollamh
antollamh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre email bug

I have the same problem, and tried with a talktalk email address and a gmail one, to no avail, when trying to send a pdf file from Calibre. Always the same error message.

My solution was to abandon Calibre and send a normal email to my Kindle, with the ebook pdf file attached, and with the word "convert" in the subject box of the email, as explained by the Amazon Kindle website.
This worked without problem.

Calibre seems to have developed a bug. I also used it in the past, earlier this year, to send and convert a pdf file without a problem, but it won't work any more, at least for a pdf file.

It is not the version of Calibre, since I tried with new and with older versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_kidz View Post
Sorry to post this subject again. I have gone through the previous mentioned fixes but I have not solved my problem.

The error I get is:
Starting job: Email Make It Last Forever to cgayle1@gmail.com

Sending failed...

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Job: "Email Make It Last Forever to cgayle1@gmail.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work

Called with args: (u'c:\\users\\owner\\appdata\\local\\temp\\calibre _0.8.2_tmp_s6kwzi\\calibre_0.8.2_vuzsww.mobi', u'Make It Last Forever - Bolton, Gwyneth.mobi', u'cgayle1@gmail.com', u'E-book: Make It Last Forever', u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nMake It Last Forever\n\tby Bolton, Gwyneth\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x0982D170>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x05F128D0>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x0983BB90>}

I am on win7 using Nortons 360 and Kindle 3.1 update. Previous to the updates to kindle and calibre I was able to email books.

Much appreciation and thanks to anyone that can solve my issue.

PC
antollamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Norton is (now) blocking Calibre's use of the mail (port).
You need to tell Norton, that 'You' give Calibre permission to mail your books (whitelist Calibre).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
pc_kidz
pc_kidz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I thought I had given Norton's permission to allow Calibre to send mail. So how do you allow Norton's to permit Calibre access?

In addition, I only have Norton's installed on one laptop. This issue is the same on my Win xp and netbook as well. Neither XP laptop nor net book have Norton's.

I thought it was a router issed and checked the ports that are opened and port 25 and 110 are both open. So not sure of what else to try.
pc_kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Setup a mail relay, preferably gmail. Create a gmail account and click the Use gmail button in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
antollamh
antollamh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am using an iMac, and don't use Norton.
I also tried using a gmail account I have, but that did not work either.
I think that previous emails I did to Kindle from Calibre did not involve pdf files, and they went OK.
Anyway, it is simple enough to send a normal email to Kindle with the pdf file as an attachment, and "convert" in the subject box - works without a problem.
antollamh is offline   Reply With Quote