Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
Standby like Sony?

Does the Cybook have a Standby like the Sony?
The Sony can be switched off and is still showing the last page.

I know, that resetting (the small button on the back) the cybook will do that - but are there any negative aspects doing so? (memory loss???)
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofazeroth View Post
I know, that resetting (the small button on the back) the cybook will do that - but are there any negative aspects doing so? (memory loss???)
The state won't be saved, so when you turn the Cybook on again, it goes through the usual boot up process and leaves you in the library, not remembering the last book you were reading, and when you open the book, it does not remember the current page either.

The current book is saved when you properly shut down the Cybook. The current page for each book is saved when you go back from the book to the library. By using the reset button you bypass both of them.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
If you bookmarked your page before you reset the Cybook you would still be able to get back to where you were when you boot up again. Not remembering what book you were on would only happen if it was the first time you went into that eBook or if you had just gone back to it after looking at another eBook. I'm not sure I see an advantage to this though since you would still have to wait through the entire boot process when you want to read again.

Clicking reset to freeze the last page view was suggested as an option if you wanted to display a picture on your Cybook when you weren't reading. Bookeen even sells frames for this purpose on their website.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
If you bookmarked your page before you reset the Cybook you would still be able to get back to where you were when you boot up again. Not remembering what book you were on would only happen if it was the first time you went into that eBook or if you had just gone back to it after looking at another eBook. I'm not sure I see an advantage to this though since you would still have to wait through the entire boot process when you want to read again.

Clicking reset to freeze the last page view was suggested as an option if you wanted to display a picture on your Cybook when you weren't reading. Bookeen even sells frames for this purpose on their website.
Actually, no. the Cybook doesn't have an 'instant-on' state which puts you right where you left off. And why, oh why, are you 'bookmarking' your current page? I just exit the book and turn off the Cybook. Works like a charm.

Of course, one must always turn ON the Cybook, then wait whilst whistling the theme from "Jeopardy" until the Cybook finishes booting (and this lengthens as one adds ebooks to the SD card or main memory), and then actually ENTER the ebook in question. Hardly the same as a Sony.

And let us NOT get started on the maddening delays in seeing better functionality for the Mobipocket-version firmware. Okay, LET'S go there!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Actually, no. the Cybook doesn't have an 'instant-on' state which puts you right where you left off. And why, oh why, are you 'bookmarking' your current page? I just exit the book and turn off the Cybook. Works like a charm.
Well *I'm* not bookmarking my current page, but was responding the questions above about pushing the little button on the back and the implications:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofazeroth View Post
Does the Cybook have a Standby like the Sony? The Sony can be switched off and is still showing the last page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The state won't be saved, so when you turn the Cybook on again, it goes through the usual boot up process and leaves you in the library, not remembering the last book you were reading, and when you open the book, it does not remember the current page either.
I was just pointing out that if you bookmark the page before hitting 'reset' you can go back to where you were in your eBook without loosing your spot, if indeed you wanted to. Occasionally I do place a bookmark just before I stop reading. This is a holdover from older firmware which failed to remember where I was, or record bookmarks, if I read for too long. Achieving bookmark is a positive sign to me, it lets me know that my Cybook hasn't forgotten how and will remember where I am when I get back. Again, with the 796 firmware this hasn't been an issue.

Quote:
Of course, one must always turn ON the Cybook, then wait whilst whistling the theme from "Jeopardy" until the Cybook finishes booting (and this lengthens as one adds ebooks to the SD card or main memory), and then actually ENTER the ebook in question. Hardly the same as a Sony.
Not the same as the BeBook either. I have to say that other than Dictionary support and font sizes the Cybook isn't my favourite eBook Reader anymore.

I *Love* the standby feature and folder support on the BeBook. I am still dreaming of getting folders from Bookeen, I don't dare dream of a standby feature being added.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96
Of course, one must always turn ON the Cybook, then wait whilst whistling the theme from "Jeopardy" until the Cybook finishes booting
I timed how long it takes my cybook to boot to the library screen.
It is :drumroll: 23 seconds.
The cybook is loaded with 23 books, all of them on the SD card. The internal memory is clean.
That's not too bad IMO, I can hardly clean my glasses in the meantime.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
The cybook is loaded with 23 books, all of them on the SD card. The internal memory is clean.
Mine take 41 seconds which is annoyingly long since you in principle wait for it since you decide to read because you do not have anything else to do.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Mine take 41 seconds which is annoyingly long since you in principle wait for it since you decide to read because you do not have anything else to do.
I've got about 260 books on my SD card. Needless to say, it takes *MINUTES* to boot to the library.

Derek
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I've got about 260 books on my SD card. Needless to say, it takes *MINUTES* to boot to the library.
I think I have around 300, and it takes a single minute.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:

Derek
Stubborn, are you?

If you know it takes minutes with that many books, why don't you appoint one SD card only for "currently reading" books.
It's impossible to manage library on cybook, so why to put up a fight, if there's an easy way around it.
You must have heard of this new trendy appliance, whassname...computer they call it, I believe. Why not use that to manage your personal library.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
junior
Connoisseur
junior began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
...so why to put up a fight, if there's an easy way around it.
Multiple SD for multiple ebooks?

Easy?, but not practical.

I prefer the cybook with 400 ebooks than 4 SD with 100 ebooks.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

My idea was more like to have all your ebooks nicely stored, tagged, categorized, starred, crossreferenced, annotated, polished, gleaming, whatever on your computer.
And then if you want to read something, you put it on an SD card and jam it into your cybook. That's how I do it.
How is this not practical, tell me.

What I described in my previous post was an *emergency* solution for delphi.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
My idea was more like to have all your ebooks nicely stored, tagged, categorized, starred, crossreferenced, annotated, polished, gleaming, whatever on your computer.
And then if you want to read something, you put it on an SD card and jam it into your cybook. That's how I do it.
How is this not practical, tell me.

What I described in my previous post was an *emergency* solution for delphi.
Who is this "delphi" of whom you speak?

Derek
Old 06-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Who is this "delphi" of whom you speak?

Derek
That's how your friends call you, don't you remember.

No affront intended. I apologize, if that's what happened, delphidb96.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I just timed how fast after hitting power on button on my venerable Sony PRS 500 I get the last page I have read:
3 seconds.

I do not understand why it takes that long to start some reading devices. The technology is here. It has been here for quite a long time. No PDA will start booting operating system after you hit the on switch. So why should an e-ink reader boot every time I have a few minutes to read?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote