Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #61
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Just wanted to say thank you. I have no idea why more people are not excited about reflow, but for me its a very needed feature on the Glo. I also have a Lyra Pro and PDF support on that ereader is way more advanced then Kobo's.

I am going to wait until the update that includes KOReader, but wanted to say thank you for your time and effort.
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #62
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalinor View Post
Just wanted to say thank you. I have no idea why more people are not excited about reflow, but for me its a very needed feature on the Glo. I also have a Lyra Pro and PDF support on that ereader is way more advanced then Kobo's.

I am going to wait until the update that includes KOReader, but wanted to say thank you for your time and effort.
I am also very excited about reflow. This is the most important thing in a pdf reader for me, as far as ereaders are concerned. I hope one of those experts who have the ability to port the KOReader for Kobo, will find the necessary time. Till then I wait with you.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #63
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Did a short testrun with my aura, the glo version starts, but as soon as you open any menu or click on a folder the screen gets distorted and it's unusable.

looks like we need a version adapted to the higher resolution.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #64
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I have the latest Koreader running on my Glo.

Basic functionality works, and is actually very nice. Only in the configuration settings, when there is more than one page of options, I can't switch to the next page. Not sure whether that is supposed to work at this point.

I've added an icon to the reader menu. The one on the right (just the Home icon inverted) reboots the device. I prefer that over using the flimsy power slider.

Install into the .kobo - subfolder.

Run with ./kore.sh <path> from the shell.

Or use something like:

Code:
koreader= tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/kore.sh /mnt/onboard\")
in kobotweaks.ini.
Attached Files
File Type: zip koreader-koboglo.zip (17.50 MB, 322 views)

Last edited by xor_; 05-12-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #65
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Xor,

I tried it. It seems like there is no way to scroll the list of folders in the FileManager. Funny, as the, I'm assuming, earlier version called KindlePdfViewer has that ability. In that version you swipe on either side of the page#of# at screen bottom to scroll the folder list. Some icons would have been nice there as well.

Sorry, it's late. Nice job. The Exit works great, and it looks like rest has been cleaned up a good bit. Wish I could scroll, I'll have to save a few PDFs into a lower folder in the list to see how the PDF handling is in the new version until somebody gets the list scrolling working.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-10-2013 at 04:06 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:31 AM   #66
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
I have the latest Koreader running on my Glo.

Basic functionality works, and is actually very nice. Only in the configuration settings, when there is more than one page of options, I can't switch to the next page. Not sure whether that is supposed to work at this point.

I've added an icon to the reader menu. The one on the right (just the Home icon inverted) reboots the device. I prefer that over using the flimsy power slider.

Install into the .kobo - subfolder.

Run with ./kore.sh <path> from the shell.

Or use something like:

Code:
/koreader= tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/kore.sh /mnt/onboard\")
in kobotweaks.ini.
thank you so much xor: is there any reason why this would not work on the Mini (e.g. screen dimensions)? If not, I'll give it a go!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #67
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Wish I could scroll, I'll have to save a few PDFs into a lower folder in the list to see how the PDF handling is in the new version until somebody gets the list scrolling working.
That's been my setup for PDFs as well, which is why I didn't even notice the non-scrollability.

I'll look into that when I have time (whch may be in a while).

All the UI code is in Lua, so people don't even need a cross-compiler toolchain to tinker with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola
is there any reason why this would not work on the Mini (e.g. screen dimensions)? If not, I'll give it a go!
As of right now, I wouldn't expect it to work. I'll have to take a look at Giorgio's work on that when I get a chance.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #68
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
Koreader on Kobo Mini

I try your build and close button dont work, menu is slow. Is here anybody who know how port Koreader for Kobo Mini?
mastnacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #69
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mastnacek,

I assume you mean the X close in the corner -it's still nonfunctional(and poorly sized and positioned as it was in kindlepdfviewer. Cosmetics come last on the list, it seems.) Looks like it needs looking at along with some scrolling buttons/icons at the bottom on the FileManager. Xor_ did add a new exit on the internal menu for documents. Go into a book, tap near the top and you'll see a menu. The icon with the inverted (black swapped for white) home icon, all the way right, is the exit, which is still a reader reboot as either no one knows how yet, or there simply is no simpler way to exit and run nickel again, I guess? Heck, for all I know, what appears to be a reboot is them simply starting nickel up again?
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #70
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
xor_, thank you for your work.
Just would like to tell that the koreader is usable with the Touch too, with some restrictions. Reading with reflow works nicely. Main problem is that the menu items are off. The AA button of the bottom menu, e.g., opens the sub-menu that contains the reflow-option; the (original, not inverted) home button of the top menu reboots the device, and so on.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #71
xor_
Zealot

The file selection scrolling I have working here locally. I'll try to post an update for this on the weekend. That should establish some basic functioning on the Glo. (Cleaning up and integrating it better into the new code base can be done later; and there's also some new menu scrolling code left to do.)

As for non-Glo Kobo devices, I haven't looked into that at all yet. I'm assuming that there's a reason why Giorgio kept them separate. Probably needs some specific adjustments for the screen.

Last edited by xor_; 05-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #72
TechniSol

Thanks Xor_. I'll be looking forward to the scrolling fix. Other than that it looks pretty nice so far. I need to get some pdf files moved to check that part out still.

EDIT:
I moved some PDFs into a directory I could reach without scrolling. There are still a few issues if you try to go to landscape. It works, but you can't open the lower menu and change font size, or even change back to portrait mode. Even worse, exiting and opening the file again after a reboot opens it in landscape again and you can't change it back... The memory of which way it was last displayed would be a great feature, if you could actually get out of that mode again! Fortunately renaming the pdf "fixes" it, but don't touch that landscape button again...

I think that something is up with where you should touch for things once you enter the landscape mode. You have to touch the top of the reader screen to get the top menu despite the display having rotated and touching the sides of the display still turn pages as though it was in portrait mode. Apparently the screen rotates, but the location of the touch areas remains 90 degrees off as they would be for portrait mode? With the possible exception of the touch area for the lower menu, as that does not seem to work at all. Unless it got flipped onto the right side of the display(portrait mode) and somehow the next page turn being sensed at that area trumps it.(Wild guess)

That aside, it's a pretty nice looking reader and the reflow works pretty well other than some odd word breaks. If the File Manager used a larger font for easier touch control and you integrate the scrolling it'll be pretty good -but, the scrolling alone will do.

Thanks again for compiling it for the rest of us and all the tweaking you're doing.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-11-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Time marches forward, and there was more to say.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #73
xor_
Zealot

Little update. File selection and menu swipes should work now.

The reader doesn't seem to like our system fonts. So we're binding the custom fonts from /mnt/onboard/fonts now at startup.

We stil run /sbin/reboot to exit, because I still haven't figured out how to get nickel to work again. I'm suspecting it's the framebuffer_configure messing with us?

The exit button from the file selector works, but doesn't do you any good unless you have a pre-existing telnet connection. So you probably don't want to use it. I guess I could also hook it up to reboot for the time being.

I've seen the problem about not being able to come back from landscape mode. As a workaround you don't have to rename the file. You can just delete the per file setting from the history subdirectory.

With very limited testing it looks nicely usable now on my Glo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip koreader-koboglo-1205-2.zip (16.89 MB, 507 views)

Last edited by xor_; 05-12-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in startup script.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #74
xor_
Zealot

If anyone wants to try on the Touch/Mini, replacing this one file may be all that's needed. But I'm not sure.

The file goes into the frontend/ui subdirectory.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gesturedetector.zip (2.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #75
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
If anyone wants to try on the Touch/Mini, replacing this one file may be all that's needed. But I'm not sure.

The file goes into the frontend/ui subdirectory.
thank you so much xor - I'll try it out on my mini tonight!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote