Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #61
keriah
keriah began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
ePub supports float:left, float:right doesn't it?
Yes, indeed. And I am using that kind of code to float my images (left or right) so that the text wraps around the small image (to match the appearance in the print book).

But for these note references I do not want the citation to remain in view, which is why I mentioned the (not-yet-available) pop-up.

Last edited by keriah; 08-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.
keriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #62
keriah

Quote:
Originally Posted by keriah View Post
...the (not-yet-available) pop-up.
Liz Daly has posted a video of one of her talks, and in it (at around 5:40) she shows CSS3 doing an image zoom. I could see that being used, in conjunction with a small image for the footnote/citation mark.

See video at: http://tinyurl.com/22nnuv9
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What could be done is the footnote is at the bottom of the screen page that contains the anchor to denote that there is a footnote. But the problem becomes when the footnote is too large and the font too big so there is not enough space on screen.

So that means side notes won't likely work well enough.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-07-2010 at 02:46 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this ePub going to be just for the iPad or is it for any reader? Because if it is for any reader then you have to make it such that it works on an unknown screen size with an unknown font size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #65
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A pop-up window, however, negates the key benefit of a footnote over an end-note, which is the ability to see both the footnote, and the text referring to it, simultaneously.
A possibility could be the jump to an end-note includes a duplicate part of the sentence/paragraph as well as the explanation - so the context is not totally lost.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
A possibility could be the jump to an end-note includes a duplicate part of the sentence/paragraph as well as the explanation - so the context is not totally lost.
What a good idea. I wonder if I should give it a go in Kidnapped. I've added many more glossary entries for archaic, obscure or Scots words to it, and perhaps context would help in some or all of them. (I did the same in my edition of Kim, although without any context, of course.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #67
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Each book I looked at in the series B&N is offering free each week has endnotes with a link back on each endnote. They probably use coding similar to that suggested above.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #68
keriah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this ePub going to be just for the iPad or is it for any reader? Because if it is for any reader then you have to make it such that it works on an unknown screen size with an unknown font size.
Initially for the iPad, but I don't want to be intentionally exclusive to that target.

I liked the idea of the single-use citation, duplicating Bibliography entries (as needed) to handle multiple references to the same citation so that each could do its own proper link-back. As a test, in addition to the full Bibliography page (with no links back), I created a page containing only the citation. It had a link back to the corresponding place in the body of the book. However, that because problematic because I had to include that single-citation page in the 'spine' items (since there was a link to it). So, even though I kept it out of the TOC it was something the user could get to independently, and it because a potentially confusing duplication.

For now, for this book (which, it turns out, actually has few duplicate references to a citation) I am going to create a link on the single (or first) reference in the body of the book and include a link-back to it from the citation in the Bibliography page. For the very few cases that have a second use of the same citation I won't make that a 'live' link in the body.

This solution has spawned as whole new set of questions ... which will be better posted as new questions (threads).
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
If your manuscripts are written in MS Word, all footnotes can be converted
into endnotes automatically by saving as web pages.

This is my situation. The endnotes (and returns) work in a Kindle edition and also when opened in my web browser. Yet they don't work when I open the htm file in Sigil. Why is that? All other hotlinks work in the Sigil document.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
If your manuscripts are written in MS Word, all footnotes can be converted
into endnotes automatically by saving as web pages.

This is my situation. The endnotes (and returns) work in a Kindle edition and also when opened in my web browser. Yet they don't work when I open the htm file in Sigil. Why is that? All other hotlinks work in the Sigil document.
Easiest thing to do is to look at the HTML source and see what's broken.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote