Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Until I can read iBooks on something other than an iOS device, it doesn't matter how low the price is. I'll stick with Amazon as I can read whatever I purchase on just about anything.
This is a big issue for me, as is the absence of an e-ink reader, and as is the concern that Apple might lose interest in having an e-book store altogether.

I have none of those concerns with Amazon, whose interest in selling books broadly is generally aligned with my interest in consuming them in the same manner.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Yeah, basically I would think an ever increasing proportion of Australians will :

1) Buy the US edition - so Europeans lose to the competitor they are most worried about losing to short-term

2) Buy other stuff that are not by any of the price fixing gougers thus lose long-term
Or do what I do and use a US Amazon account tied to a US issued Credit Card. It makes a big difference but in the case of real goods you have to have a US re-shipping setup. I have US based relatives who do this for me.

There are a number of organisations set up to do exactly this - re-ship to Australia. Some will even purchase from Amazon (and Apple, Microsoft, Adobe etc.) at US prices and then re-ship. They allow you to make some very considerable cost savings.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Until I can read iBooks on something other than an iOS device, it doesn't matter how low the price is. I'll stick with Amazon as I can read whatever I purchase on just about anything.

isn't iBooks format basically ePub?

isn't Mobi Amazon ebooks DRM'd and only readable on a kindle reader? (though I stripped the DRM and had been reading them on my e-ink reader too, haha amazon sue me)
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
Basically, although not exclusively.
But wrapped in an Apple-specific DRM, which can only be read on iOS devices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

isn't Mobi Amazon ebooks DRM'd and only readable on a kindle reader? (though I stripped the DRM and had been reading them on my e-ink reader too, haha amazon sue me)
Amazon has apps that allow people to read their book on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, Blackberry, etc. Apple does not. iBooks as far as I know has DRM that has not been broken and only allows the books to be read on an iOS device. I can't even read them on my Mac computers.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Amazon has apps that allow people to read their book on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, Blackberry, etc. Apple does not. iBooks as far as I know has DRM that has not been broken and only allows the books to be read on an iOS device. I can't even read them on my Mac computers.
I haven't tried it, but apparently Requiem can remove iBooks' DRM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon doesn't require DRM--it is a choice most major publishers make (but few indie authors).
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote