Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #61
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And just so you know, a lot of people who bother to strip the DRM will put the book up for free on a torrent. They want to help out everyone else who wants to read the book but doesn't know how to strip DRM. In their minds, they're doing their fellow readers a favor.
Careful... That's a pretty broad brush you're painting all of us who remove DRM. I'd suggest that there *are* folks who do strip DRM and immediately set up a torrent or add to a huge zip file that already exists, but to imply that *a lot* of us who remove DRM are pirates is a bit too much.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #62
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Careful... That's a pretty broad brush you're painting all of us who remove DRM. I'd suggest that there *are* folks who do strip DRM and immediately set up a torrent or add to a huge zip file that already exists, but to imply that *a lot* of us who remove DRM are pirates is a bit too much.
Fair point, poor choice of words on my part. I've gone back and edited my post to make things a bit more clear and a bit less insulting to DRM-removers.
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #63
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
Here is what I think I know about you:
-you own a Droid phone
-female and married
-somewhat anti-establishment
-own what I'll call non-mainstream readers
-gamer
-probably into reading fantasy genre–based on your moniker and pic
-you read the news and keep up with what congress is up to and you probably don't get that news from a piece of paper

And thus I don't think you're my market!
Which of these things indicates to you that zie is not a criminal investigator?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would have absolutely no problem with it. It's your copy. Move it to Calibre and print it if you want. I just don't want to see my copyright violated and somebody trying to distribute it for free, or worse to sell it for their profit. (not that my works are worth much)
You put your eBook up for sale with DRM and I could very easily buy it, download it, strip the DRM and send it out on its merry way to be downloaded for free without DRM.

So how is DRM going to help you? The people who do send out eBooks already know how to strip the DRM. So they won't be hampered by your locks. The people who don't are the ones who will be hampered by your locks. So really, your locks don't keep out the ones who do share eBooks. All they do is hamper those who don't.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #65
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Which of these things indicates to you that zie is not a criminal investigator?
I hate it when someone clever comes along and says exactly what I was trying to say, but in a much more succinct and eloquent manner.
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
-own what I'll call non-mainstream readers
I have to ask...How is using a reader that uses ADE, supports ePub with and without Adept DRM non-mainstream? I would call that VERY mainstream. Is your idea is that it's not a Kindle so it's not mainstream?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well, I had the same sort of thinking when it came to copy protected music CDs. Lots of people did. DRM just pisses people off and they feel it's their right to remove the locks and set the content free. In fact, a lot of these same people would not share eBooks that came DRM free. So if prices were more reasonable and DRM was eliminated, piracy would be lower.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #68
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to ask...How is using a reader that uses ADE, supports ePub with and without Adept DRM non-mainstream? I would call that VERY mainstream. Is your idea is that it's not a Kindle so it's not mainstream?
I think it's more likely he/she means that since it's not the most popular one in the US, it's not mainstream
Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #69
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Belle: I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. If you mean I have an audience that "follows" me, absolutely not.

What I can tell you is this: When I go to my market and tell them where they can buy my book, it sells. A few people just stumble upon it while looking for the subject it covers.

My point was you aren't in the position to be limiting your reading audience. You are a nobody in the millions of people who think they can write. You need to be able to get out there as much as possible, even if it is to a "gamer" or a fiction lover, ( although I still have no idea how those correlate to ' not going to read my book'...).

Your tale about your father also has zero relevance to subject, you know that right?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think it's more likely he/she means that since it's not the most popular one in the US, it's not mainstream
I'm hoping you are correct and not that it's not a Kindle. But I consider any reader that uses ADE and handles ePub with and without DRM to be mainstream. I'm sorry if he just doesn't get it.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #71
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is, itself, a red herring in a discussion about what is admittedly a niche book.

Niche eReaders and niche genres are related. The professionals in my area who care about technical books get PRS-950s because of the size, the organization, the screenshot capability (with PRS plus) and the robust note-taking via stylus. The professionals in my area who just want to read novels are more likely to get Kindles or Nooks.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #72
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Niche eReaders and niche genres are related. The professionals in my area who care about technical books get PRS-950s because of the size, the organization, the screenshot capability (with PRS plus) and the robust note-taking via stylus. The professionals in my area who just want to read novels are more likely to get Kindles or Nooks.
So... based on that, and the fact we established earlier in this thread that I'm a bit of a geek, shouldn't we come to the conclusion that I am actually more likely to buy Lazer's book than if I had a Nook or Kindle? *innocently* If it was DRM free, that is.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #73
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
So... based on that, and the fact we established earlier in this thread that I'm a bit of a geek, shouldn't we come to the conclusion that I am actually more likely to buy Lazer's book than if I had a Nook or Kindle? *innocently* If it was DRM free, that is.
From my anecdotal selection, I most certainly would come to that conclusion.

Although, really, I'm struggling to not be offended by the implication that criminal investigators do not own video games, fantasy novels, or girl bits.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From my anecdotal selection, I most certainly would come to that conclusion.

Although, really, I'm struggling to not be offended by the implication that criminal investigators do not own video games, fantasy novels, or girl bits.
I think they do own girl bits. Mind you, they do need to be inflated.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #75
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
It's ignorant, not offensive. And to continue the trend so far in this thread of jumping to (unfounded) conclusions, it makes Lazer a male past his early 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think they do own girl bits. Mind you, they do need to be inflated.
That's not girl bits, that's girl substitutes

Last edited by ScalyFreak; 03-21-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Closed Thread